In the market for a drum pad controller

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
cornutt
Gear: 6th

In the market for a drum pad controller

Post by cornutt » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:47 am

Well, after my last episode with Akai's bug-ridden firmware, I am about to go out in the driveway and smash my MPD24 with a sledgehammer, and I will never set finger to another Akai product again. So has anyone got any recommendations for a playable-with-the-fingers drum pad controller? Right now, the choices appear to be the Korg padControl, the Korg Nanopad, and the M-Audio Trigger Finger. I need at least 8-level velocity sense, and I absolutely must have the ability to change the MIDI note mapping. Everything else is negotiable.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Re: In the market for a drum pad controller

Post by th0mas » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:14 pm

Don't get an m-audio axiom expecting velocity sensitive note triggering. From what I read in the manual (and experienced using it), while the drum pads are velocity sensitive, they can only sense velocity to send CC's based on pressure, and when sending notes the drum pads send a static velocity value that is preset in the patch.

Unless I'm missing something (which is possible, m-audio documentation is terrible)

steveman

Post by steveman » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:21 pm

Happy with my PadKontrol - note mapping, velocity sensitive (pads feel fine, but I can't compare it to anything else) and a useful XY pad.

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:22 am

The PadKontrol is pretty easy to setup. I like it's pads also and enjoy the whole lighting experience you get while playing it.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:10 am

I had the padkontrol once and it was great, and then I switched over to the nanopad and never looked back... either of the korg ones will do you good.
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:27 am

I checked out all the ones on the market a couple of years ago and I thought the MPD24 was the best built by a long shot. Never had any problems with bugs, maybe you just got a dud unit?