Psychedelic hardsynth

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
etnie12

Psychedelic hardsynth

Post by etnie12 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:58 am

Hey guys,

What souhld be, in your opinion, the best hardsynth to produce funky psychedlic lead sound for psytrance ?
I was looking for the Virus t2, but it's too expensive... Anything esle simlar but at a cheaper price?

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Re: Psychedelic hardsynth

Post by Alex E » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:04 am

A MS2000 or JP-8000 would work for that, as well as the Clavia Nord Modular range. And of course, don't forget more affordable Viri like the Virus A through C.
soundcloud.com/vectron

etnie12

Post by etnie12 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:36 am

tx :) I already tried the jp-8000 but i dont like so much ...but thanks for the advice about the virus a and c and the MS2000 :)

etnie12

Post by etnie12 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:36 am

and what about the little phatty?

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:10 pm

@ etnie12:
Have you looked at the Virus TI Snow?
Also you might want to check out Korg MicroKorg XL og R3 - then you get a vocoder as well.
Other than that you should be capable of creating psy trance sounds with a wide range of synths.

A second hand Roland V-Synth would also be good (Simon Posford of Shpongle, Younger Brother & Hallucinogen uses it).

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Post by Sir Nose » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:33 pm

etnie12 wrote:and what about the little phatty?
That's what I was gonna say. Can be found used for $700, but usually $800 to $900.
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:03 pm

For a better budget the Virus B or C versions are perfect for psychedelic sounds. The VA market from $400 to $800 is plenty of options for the sounds you are looking for... make an extensive search of VA synths on that range. But sure the Access first Virus are plenty of trancy stuff.

Also can check Korg MS 2000, Korg Radias, Novation Supernova.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

n3wt15
Gear: a never ending cycle of ins and outs
Band: Armageddon Party

Post by n3wt15 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:10 pm

virus series, nord (g2 is what i use for this, as does infected mushroom + various other "psytrance" artists)
I also see alot of live psy artists using the novation nova series, and xstations...I had a ks4 for a while a few years back, but that was before i was into making psychedelic sounds...now i wish i still had that

i wouldnt personally recommend a little phatty for psysounds...maybe bass, but for leads and such it wouldnt be my first pick...more versitle things on the market for the price

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:09 pm

A cheap Karma?
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:25 pm

Uh, Karma?

Do you mean the Korg Karma?

Is not even a cheap rompler, sounds more like an expensive arranger keyboard.

Only things missing there, are the built-in speakers....
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.

Phollop Willing PA

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:31 pm

In my experience, you can use a Korg Karma in a lot of different ways. It has the slots for extra sound cards including the MOSS option (see Prophecy, Z1).

I've used it as a workstation arranger as well as lead, and pad type sounds. If it had a sampler, it would be perfect and these keyboards can be complex to program, however, the results can be rewarding.

I've seen ads for these for as low as $500.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Post by maindeglorie » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:51 pm

The most psyched out synth I have ever owned is hands down the Andromeda.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by balma » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:55 pm

Yeap! that's the price I sold it with 2 extra roms.

No trance oriented synth there, cheap soundn rompler with a very simple architecture on sound edition, classic average workstation with boring lfos, a 5 effect section that is a pain in the a*s to program on the routing section, 2 "oscillators" or layers, when the law on romplers is a minimum of 4 instruments per voice... k.a.r.m.a. arppegiator is complex but at the same time, hyperboring to program, menus that popup slowly if the synth is playing, 4 modules are great, but when bowsing the 1000+ arp presets in order to find a suitable arppegio for the actual sounds layered on the keyboard, there is a big risk of falling sleep over the keyboard.

Only feature to rescue there, is the hability of multitrack recording, or traslating on high detail the 4 modules performance to the 16 tracks linear sequencer. Otherwise, this is a good synth for weddings.

Phollop Willing PA

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:38 pm

balma wrote:Yeap! that's the price I sold it with 2 extra roms.

No trance oriented synth there, cheap soundn rompler with a very simple architecture on sound edition, classic average workstation with boring lfos, a 5 effect section that is a pain in the a*s to program on the routing section, 2 "oscillators" or layers, when the law on romplers is a minimum of 4 instruments per voice... k.a.r.m.a. arppegiator is complex but at the same time, hyperboring to program, menus that popup slowly if the synth is playing, 4 modules are great, but when bowsing the 1000+ arp presets in order to find a suitable arppegio for the actual sounds layered on the keyboard, there is a big risk of falling sleep over the keyboard.

Only feature to rescue there, is the hability of multitrack recording, or traslating on high detail the 4 modules performance to the 16 tracks linear sequencer. Otherwise, this is a good synth for weddings.
That made me smile. Still, I like it for what I need. :lol:

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by balma » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:56 pm

Maybe the Karma with the MOSS expansion will do it, but MOSS is as expensive as a Novation Supernova or a MS 2000.

Stephen Ray's invention is cool, I can deny that the 4 modules have their charm, but anyone with some composition skills can have similar results just arranging tracks on a 16 track sequencer, is funnier, and more original.

out of topic:
I got the karma MW software with the synth. But these Korg guys are assholes, it has a code that does not allows you to install it. Mr Stephen Ray answered me in person:

If you want the karma softsynth, must pay me $17.90 + $10 in order to get the rights. Also, I will need a signed letter from the original owner (who actually lives in Italy....) confirming that you bought the Karma to him....

Fck!!! I already paid for the Karma hardsynth a lot of $$$. Want more $$ from me? yeah yeah, give me your address mr Ray, and I'll send you the cd so you can stick it in your.....