Psychedelic hardsynth

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Re: Psychedelic hardsynth

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:36 pm

I got mine with a MOSS board already installed for $800 CDN.

I use a Roland MC 505 to partially program it (yes you read that right). Also a Peavey Midi controller does some really interesting stuff to the Karma...

I later bought the Vintage sound card for the Karma for $80 CDN.

If you take a direct approach to the Karma, it seems harder than letting other gear midified to the Karma control it, sometimes.

Even though I hummed and hawed about getting it, I don't regret it now.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

skweeegor

Post by skweeegor » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:13 pm

I just wanna throw this out there if you're not aware but a lot of psy artists these days have moved to software. Even the big guys like Cosmosis who were all hardware back in the day use mostly vst's and for the price, you could get something much more powerful than in the hardware realm like zebra2. h**l even something older and less complex like vanguard is enough to do 90% of psy sounds. If you already have a decent pc and/or midi controller it might be something to consider. Psytrance also tends to have many, many sounds in one track so workflow wise, it's much faster to work with vst's than constantly bouncing things down to audio. I don't want to turn this into a hardware/software debate, but I remember when I first getting into electronic music I really thought I "HAD" to have the hardware synth to get those pro sounds...but all I really had to do was learn better synthesis. And in psy, synthesis is everything.

I make psytrance myself among another things and it's about the only time I rarely touch hardware because it's just so much simpler to use a vst and sounds just as good.

michael stein
Band: S U R V I V E

Post by michael stein » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:24 pm

Can someone post an example of these psyche soundz? I keep thinking heavy modulation and delay.

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:54 am

Future Retro XS. Best of everything. 8-)

If you want digital, there is pretty much any VA you could choose. I use a Novation KS-5 as my main VA along with my Polymorph and it can get very psychedelic, but it's all in the programming and composing of the song to make your track psychedelic.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:09 pm

balma wrote:Korg Karma is not even a cheap rompler, sounds more like an expensive arranger keyboard.
The Karma is the same machine as the Triton LE minus the sampling expansion option. Probably not the right board for the OP, but it's a real ROMpler.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

sensorium

Post by sensorium » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:59 pm

+1 on the XS. Also, I think the OSCar stand alone for psy leads.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:56 pm

meatballfulton wrote:The Karma is the same machine as the Triton LE minus the sampling expansion option. Probably not the right board for the OP, but it's a real ROMpler.
It's actually the same as the 'regular' Triton, minus sampling.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:18 am

i'd agree the Karma is pretty useless, EXCEPT for going to strange places and having little idea how to get there or anywhere else - and can get quite psychedelic along the way.

Little Phatty's hardsync tone is psychedelia primadonna - one of the very best ever.... but the rest of the synth not so much - unless you add a CP-251 and say, the 'fooger phaser, ringmod and/or delay then it's a mind-melter for sure.

A6 is perfect w/ the swirly VCO's, looping EG's and bizarre tracking gen & C-Route mods make for endless weirdness.
V-Synth obviously so and even better when mated w/ some outboard tape delay and analog phaser/flanger!!

for sample & hold and Ringmod FX the 2600 is most delicious...set her up w/ self-playing patch and let wander

classic bandpass and 70's Roland tone of the SH-5 is psychedelic unbeatable character

and you can't go "wrong" any better than w/ an Evolver - they're made for freaking

But possibly the out-and-out KING of all synth psychedelia is the Hartmann Neuron - it goes from zero to very strange in a heartbeat

now where did I put my Kyma...
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

sensorium

Post by sensorium » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:21 pm

Hmmm....Hartman Neuron? That thing is like a limited V-Synth. Just get the V ;)

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:05 pm

v-synth can only dream of Neuron's textures. not on the same level imo. Neuron was a truly unique design. one of my favorite digitals of all time.

i wished so many times they'd re-instate the company and continue developent of new products based on this technology, alas.. not a likely scenario.

anyways, back on topic, i guess psyhedelic probably means different things to different people. to me its definitely analog sound (or digital) but with multiple analog processing, brought to excessive settings:

MS-20 run into a Space Echo with high feedback. using guitar pedals. reel to reel. crazy routings, feedback loops.. things like that. also its nice to route these analog chains and give em some spring reverb, or some lofi shitty old digital reverb. i use a dynacord drp16 for this. its a time warp to Berlin in 1972 with that sound.

but for psy trance ... all you really need is a good VA, a nice mono analog for these lead lines and an Eventide. for example, Nord 2X, SH-2 or System 100 (most beautiful portamento lead for trance i ever heard - how virus n stuff are supposed to sound but never can), and Eclipse or DSP7000. actually, any roland SH is great for this stuff 1/2/9, esp SH-101 which has additional advantage of having syncable arpeggiator and sequencer..

Jupiter6 as a poly option would fare rather well in these styles as well.
Last edited by clusterchord on Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:21 pm

mostly of my psychedelic sounds comes from:
Roland JP 8080. Obviously you didn't like the JP8000 because you didn't dig it enough. IMO is one of the best VAs for trance, ever. There has been a lot of Roland synths with the famous supersaw included, but none of them can reach the original one from the JP models.

V synth: obviously cannot reach the Neuron sampling concept, but Neuron is $3k or more while the V synth can go $750-900. Is highly recommendable to resample sounds on the V synth to improve them, due to its thin sound, but that's a matter of taste, some people says it has a fat sound. I just miss a massive juno chorus on the V synth.

And I already can feel the Ensoniq Fizmo coming on the way. Now that's truly Made in Mars.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

etnie12

Post by etnie12 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:01 am

Hey guys
And what about the a Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard?

etnie12

Post by etnie12 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:08 am

and prophet 08?

etnie12

Post by etnie12 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:09 am

tx in advance :D

CapnMarvel

Post by CapnMarvel » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:20 pm

clusterchord wrote: anyways, back on topic, i guess psyhedelic probably means different things to different people. to me its definitely analog sound (or digital) but with multiple analog processing, brought to excessive settings:

MS-20 run into a Space Echo with high feedback. using guitar pedals. reel to reel. crazy routings, feedback loops.. things like that. also its nice to route these analog chains and give em some spring reverb, or some lofi shitty old digital reverb. i use a dynacord drp16 for this. its a time warp to Berlin in 1972 with that sound.
This is what psychedelic means to me as well, and boy would an MS-20 be great right now.

I say just get a used Andy. It can do most anything and do it weird.
Gear List: A bunch that go 'WHHONNGG!', several that go 'tweedle tweedle' and 'thumpity', and a few that don't make any noise at all but have lots of delightful little lights on them.