Tell me why I don't need the Alesis Ion...

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Tell me why I don't need the Alesis Ion...

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:10 am

Already have an Xtk yet to be fully explored, and just received a Microkorg which I totally adore... (not to mention other actual analog synths). One would think that leaves little in the way of general analog/VA sounds to be filled... Yet there is an Ion for a good price with my name on it nearby. :?

Please convince me that Ion will not in any way increase my sonic palette! :lol:
Do you even post on vse bro?

Ry-Fi
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Ion, MKS-30, MKS-50, SQ-1+ 32-voice, TX81Z

Re: Tell me why I don't need the Alesis Ion...

Post by Ry-Fi » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:40 am

Sorry, can't do that. You NEED the Ion! :mrgreen:

OK, obviously not true, but it IS one of the best VA's, and will definitely cover lots of ground your MicroKorg won't. Go try it!

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:22 pm

Ry-Fi wrote:Sorry, can't do that. You NEED the Ion! :mrgreen:

OK, obviously not true, but it IS one of the best VA's, and will definitely cover lots of ground your MicroKorg won't. Go try it!
Yes, I think I owe it a "try" at the very least... it looks to good to just pass over.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:07 pm

Just turn off the effects. It is a very capable synth with lots of filters, mod routings, etc. As far as VA's go it has a mellow flavor that excels at 70's type sounds in as much as a VA will.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Sir Ruff » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:11 am

otto wrote:Just turn off the effects. It is a very capable synth with lots of filters, mod routings, etc. As far as VA's go it has a mellow flavor that excels at 70's type sounds in as much as a VA will.
yeah, someone else was saying it has that kind of "discrete" sound.

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:10 pm

The most analog of VA's I've owned. Make sure you get a later model that has the issue with the failing audio outputs taken care of. The one I had was super quiet and it's really difficult to fix. I miss it horribly and would love to have one again.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Sir Ruff » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:19 pm

redchapterjubilee wrote:The most analog of VA's I've owned. Make sure you get a later model that has the issue with the failing audio outputs taken care of. The one I had was super quiet and it's really difficult to fix. I miss it horribly and would love to have one again.
How can you check for this? It sounds like the output problem is the result of plugging cables in while its on (and blowing transistors), but how can you check if this is a later model and has been rectifed (i.e. is there a definite serial number to go by)?

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:46 pm

I haven't been able to determine what the cutoff serials are for this issue. I know that no one could get a new one for about six months in 2007 and then some time last year all of a sudden they were available again and then a few months later they were discontinued. I wonder if all those were fixed or not.

All I've got to base this on was previous comment in VSE about it. I know mine was really very quiet and that in order to use it live I'd have to hit a tube pre with it first before the snake instead of a plain DI because it needed the boost. And that was all outputs except the auxiliary outs, but the main volume did not affect the output level of those outputs so it was really difficult to get a good level on it. I've owned two different Microns and neither had that issue.

I hope beyond hope that Akai will reissue the Ion as the Akai AK. Maybe correct the physical design a little bit, add the sequencer of the MiniAK and correct the output issue. Voila. Relisted around $800 or so. Or even a desktop version would be dandy. Either way, I hope they reissue a knobby interface for this engine.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:59 pm

Sounds like the one I'm lookin at is from 2007 and barely used, so I am hopefully good...

The one nagging feeling I have though is that this will be very similar to my XT... (which again still deserves more of my time) But I guess for a few hundred, there's not much to lose in case there is.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:34 pm

Sir Ruff wrote: The one nagging feeling I have though is that this will be very similar to my XT... (which again still deserves more of my time)
I own both the XT and ION, to me the XT is more into the more modern sounding territory while the ION is the opposite. Both would compliment each other nicely.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:58 pm

Sir Ruff, did you get it?

I sold my Ion last year and I definitely miss its sound. It was great for smooth classic synth sounds, but it absolutely excels at crazy digital choas, as well. I was able to create some of my favorite crashing, hissing and screaming sounds from that synth without any external "help". Great VA with limitless potential. It's definitely a time-sink, though; you could own it for years and use it every day and still find new routings and fresh ideas.

The only thing I don't miss about it is the footprint. I have too many full-size synths as it is.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Sir Ruff » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:51 pm

killedaway wrote:Sir Ruff, did you get it?

I sold my Ion last year and I definitely miss its sound. It was great for smooth classic synth sounds, but it absolutely excels at crazy digital choas, as well. I was able to create some of my favorite crashing, hissing and screaming sounds from that synth without any external "help". Great VA with limitless potential. It's definitely a time-sink, though; you could own it for years and use it every day and still find new routings and fresh ideas.

The only thing I don't miss about it is the footprint. I have too many full-size synths as it is.
man, sounds like exactly what I wanted... but I didn't get it in the end-the seller was some student aparrently more interested in completing his studies than making the sale (which apparently precluded him from checking emails or calling me), and despite my best efforts to meet to get it, it somehow got snagged from under me by someone offering $20 more :evil:

but it's not exactly like they are uncommon, so I'm really keen to try one now! (but truly, I also don't have the space!)