good price for a fizmo?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

good price for a fizmo?

Post by tekkentool » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:55 am

?

Gianni

Re: good price for a fizmo?

Post by Gianni » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:13 am

tekkentool wrote:

?
h**l. No.

EDIT:

Sorry, had to run and could not type anything else. :D
Anyway, 450-600 was the right price last time I checked.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:44 am

well juno 60's are about 800 here, so it's probably not that bad. but i can't find a spot for this right now as i need more standard foundation in my setup. get a fizmo later :(

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:11 pm

nah mate, I wouldn't pay more than $800 for one myself.

I was interested in getting one a few years ago, all but bought it from a guy selling one and he stuck it on ebay (tell me, why do people always do this once you've arranged to pay and ship?! - damn that pisses me off :evil: )

Anyway, I digress :lol:

...I missed out on the ebay auction by a few bucks and got over it (I think it went for $650AU or something, which is what I think is fair). Fact is V-Synth kicks Fizmo's a*s, I always got the impression the Fizmo always sounds, well... fizzy :oops:

...Oh If you're looking to buy don't forget the inherent fault with the regulators in the PS in the Fizmo, ticking time bomb that can write off this fizzing oddity at any moment .

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:19 pm

More to the point, good price for a Jupe? :shock:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Roland-JUPITER-8-Ju ... 874wt_1167

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:33 pm

Fair Price is $600-650... for now....

I predict prices going up on the following years. There was not a single decent Fizmo video on youtube until 2 months ago.... . Consider this one of most unknown gems on the synth world.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:41 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:...I missed out on the ebay auction by a few bucks and got over it (I think it went for $650AU or something, which is what I think is fair). Fact is V-Synth kicks Fizmo's a*s, I always got the impression the Fizmo always sounds, well... fizzy :oops:
I think there's not point of comparison between a V synth and a Fizmo (actually I have a Vsynth since 3 years ago, and a Fizmo that will arrive tomorrow)

Vsynth is a sampler VA, Fizmo is a transwave synth. Both have very very different applications.

Other point is that, most of the Fizmo sounds cannot be emulated by almost any synth. Very disctintive sound. V synth virtual analog sound is thin, however its sampler and user interface are excellent.

Vsynth is for going shopping to Wallmart, Fizmo is for going to Krakatoa.....
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:38 am

Actually there are a couple soft synths that can emulate the Fizmo pretty closely made by HG Fortune. STS and Protoplasm specifically, but I am sure the newer stuff can too. I would even be willing to wager that quite a few of the osc waveforms are Fizmo samples.

I've had several Fizmos over the years, and have sampled a good deal of it and loaded it into my VSynth as a project along with the aforementioned soft synth samples and I can get far more satisfactory results as far as editing goes.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Ghost of Crow

Post by Ghost of Crow » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:23 am

I have had and used both synths discussed here and just sold BOTH of them. I would like to correct a few factual faults and then give a few opinions. Thats MY opinions of course. DO NOT get upset if they differ from yours. I f**k wont be.
Balma, the V-synth is not just a VA thats thin Or even with a sampler. It also has a fine PCM engine for starters. Comparable to Rolands XV synths if not the Fantoms. It is without a doubt the first multi-technique synth to be taken to heart by users. It was NEVERdesigned to be used in isolation as a rompler/VA/sampler. Its is a unique amalgamation of them all AND then they have added the effectsl external inputs and amazing filter/effect system.
It features TWO FULL COSM FILTER sections and full effect and audio input, even of the previously synthesised output. Try that. take the direct outs and input them back to the inputs. and tell me you need a GT?? Well you WILL run out of Voices. :)
Mutitimbrality is NOT a problem using my prefereed DAW. Sonar. Record everything, fire it back out open the "part" and away it goes. Each part is the same as the midi channel number. Am I missing somethng here? It DOES only have 24 voices MAX. That is easily taken over by doubling AND COSM. It uses, well restricts, so uses to me. voices also.
FIZMO!! It does not say FATSO? Would you say it is FAT rather than Fizzy if it did?
Hybrid guy. You have never even had one. I remember that would have inflicted a lot of , maybe, undeserved abuse on your head.
For by that, I have had one! Woo! They are NOT fizzy unless you wish them to be. They have as much bass potential as a Barry White/Moog lovechild. Vile as that pictures. :0
They are also a wonderful hands on synth. Another thing they DO have in common with a V-Synth. They have the best aftertouch I have used on any synth. The FIZMO buttons are as good as the D-beams or any other multi parameter adjustment tool. V-Synth Timetrip may beat it.
Ohh and Tallow is correct about the Fortune softsynths. These are so often overlooked for the big, software names.
The STS is wonderful. Just do not bet on using it without an aftertouch controller. Well worth using.
"Her face is sans feature, but she wears a dali brooch"

Report this post

KLAXON

Post by KLAXON » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:56 am

Just goes to show you, when it comes to ebay, its all about when you list it. The reason this is so high,I would recon, is because it is a christmas present for someone, and thus price is less of an object. Obviously we all realize they usually go for lcloser to $700.

And to the kid who said $450, uh...sell me your Fizmo for that price. Yeah, didn't think so. ;)
.....i have some things that create and sculpt sound.

Gianni

Post by Gianni » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:47 am

KLAXON wrote: And to the kid who said $450, uh...sell me your Fizmo for that price. Yeah, didn't think so. ;)

I wanted a Fizmo about two years ago, when I started getting deep into ambient, and you could find Fizmos for $450-600 on eBay. Nowadays, I gave up the Fizmo idea because I realized my synth-priorities were others.
Actually, up until recently I've seen a couple go for less than 450! One that suffered from regulator problems and one with messed up knobs and keys.

I would obviously wouldn't sell it for under $600, but that's because I can see the incredible potential of the machine. But imagine you're a ROMpler kid, and you get this thing because a friend said it was good and you liked the name "Transwave synthesizer" and then realize you have no idea what to do with it or why its creator decided to make it so "ugly" [personally, love the color...].

This is a synth for people who enjoy synthesis and exploring sound, I doubt I'll sell mine once I buy one. :D

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Hybrid88 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:50 am

Balma, was just saying sound-wise V and Fizmo are both what I would consider best at ambient sounds, only I find the V sounds more usable personally, I obviously wasn't comparing synthesis technology between them.

Your right Crow, never had one, I'm just going from the demo's I've seen on YouTube - I think I can be forgiven for missing the bass response listening to a YT vid with laptop speakers :lol:

Still I've never got the impression that It's very versatile, distinctive sure but it never seems to not sound like a Fizmo, again opinion from demo listening here so take with the usual grain of salt :geek:

A quirky nice synth though :D

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:10 pm

The Fizmo is completely capable of anything you can do on a VA. Crow is right in that you can get some pretty monstrous basses and leads as well as the typical chorus of twinkles sound. Of all the wavetable synths I have owned (TI, XT), I loved its sound the most, but also hated the beyond crippled interface the most. I think the XT could have it beat pretty easily if its oscillators were independent and the TI could top it if the DSP usage didn't pile up so fast. As it stands though, both are infinitely more tolerable (and in the case of the XT, actually pleasant) to edit and use.

Like I said, I have found the most love in sampling wavetables from the aforementioned synths and the HG Fortune ones and combining them in the V Synth. You can also find lots of joy vocoding/trans multitplying those wavetables together beforehand.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by balma » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:12 pm

belgium Hades told me that it has sine/square/saw waveforms too, and it can make "normal sounds" obviously...
however, I consider that there is a "wrong public" image from the Fizmo, since there's not too much demostrative material of its capabilities available to watch, listen, or download.

About the V synth, just to mention is the synth that I use the most. Crow I consider that the Va engine has a thin sound. but do not misunderstand that I see it as a machine that can be a sampler OR a VA. (besides my english skills are not good enough yet)

Best sounds of the V synth comes from ringing/linking original samples with the VA or the PCM instruments you mentioned. A sample can take unexpected shapes inside the V synth.

And after that, resampling those sounds, and giving them the right format.

Using it in that way, and with its arsenal of handy controllers, possibilities on V synth are endless. Is a wonderful synth, if you are lazy, you will stay tweaking the knobs with the VA engine, selecting this and that waveform, HQ square, supersaw, or even better, just using the auto patch program that comes with the last OS, that simplifies the synthesis method using presets. Wanna a lead? go to that screen, press lead, other paramaters and then you get a sound.

OR, you can take your old vintage synth, sample it with a lot of dedication, create a proyect of samples of that synth, and then, start to create new patches with those samples and VsYNTH'S engine, and by the way, use that beatiful new parameter's graphical step sequencer.

The best of these synths that can go interactive between the features they have, is that you go as far as you can, and each time is better. And with the V Synth, I must say is the less frustrating or tedious synth I've used. Is always an amusing instrument, a whole concept.

Then resample those sounds, and create a new sound project .prj, and add another synth, and another......

In that way, you can forget of the "thin" word.

I always took very seriously, the idea that with several synths that has line in and samplers, you should be able to create unique and amazing new sounds, just with the interaction between them.

I haven't receive the Fizmo yet (maybe for tomorrow...) but one of my ideas is filling the V synth, the Electribe, the SY999 and other samplers with its sound.

Well I'm a retard I must be honest I'm talking too much about the Fizmo and I also do not have one :mrgreen: but
I do tomorrow :twisted:
Last edited by balma on Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Hybrid88 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:46 am

Cool, let us know how it goes Balma, we need more first-hand experiances here :lol: