Korg Trident and sequencer

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
King Minos

Korg Trident and sequencer

Post by King Minos » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:56 pm

Hi,

I've only recently started making electronic music, I come from more of a rock background, and I have a pretty simple set-up;

Korg Trident mk1
Univox Maxi-Korg
Farfisa Fast-4
Kontakt 2
Digital Performer

as you can see none of the keyboards I have are MIDI and I really want to get into sequencing, so I've started looking into buying an analog sequencer, something like the Roland CSQ-600, but I'm still pretty much a novice and I was wondering if anybody could help direct me a bit towards options or considerations I might not yet be able to grasp? I've read there's also the option of getting a MIDI/CV converter made by Kenton?

What's the most reliable option?

Thanx!

R.

King Minos

Re: Korg Trident and sequencer

Post by King Minos » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:50 pm

So I just got in touch with Kenton, and they used to manufacture MIDI retrofits for the Trident but have since stopped producing them as there wasn't enough of a demand.

Anyone know where I could get my hands on one of those?

Thanx!

R.

steampoweredsequencer
Gear: Two canes for walking, indestructible contact microphone, tetsuo implants, half broken nord lead, two weirdo guitars,

Post by steampoweredsequencer » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:08 pm

Kenton make midi to cv converters that do not require retrofitting.
If all else fails, play by hand.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:26 am

Since the Trident is polyphonic (I think it's actually paraphonic), there are no CV/Gate inputs like most analog monosynths. I bought my Kenton MIDI kit for my TR-808 from Wine Country in the early 90's. You might check with them to see if they have any Kenton kits for the Trident still lurking about. I don't have any other ideas besides playing it into your DAW.

I'm not too familiar with the MaxiKorg. I remember the MiniKorg not having CV/Gate inputs, but should be easy to mod. I think Solderman added CV/Gate to his MiniKorg. If the Maxi does have CV/Gate or can be modded, you can at least be able to sequence it using a MIDI to CV converter. There are many choices out there for MIDI/CV boxes.

King Minos

Post by King Minos » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:24 pm

Many thanx! I will look into those options and report back...

Salut,

R.

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:13 pm

you have to search the web, there was a guy in Slovenia, who made a midi retrofit for Trident mk1. but its a DIY project, or have someone make it for you. its been a few years, so i dont jave a link anymore. i remember it was a schematic, a pcb and a list of parts needed.

i wanted to make it for my mk1, alas i sold it in the meantime. always regret it.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc