What would you sell to help fund andromeda, if u were me?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
michael stein
Band: S U R V I V E

What would you sell to help fund andromeda, if u were me?

Post by michael stein » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:49 pm

my gear list is in my sig, heres some pics.

Diametro

Re: What would you sell to help fund andromeda, if u were me?

Post by Diametro » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:54 pm

It's your digital end that's lacking ... Though to me, Andy sounds like digital analog ... So maybe it's the perfect fit ... Get rd of your cheap digitals ... At least I don't like any of them ... Microkorg is fun for poops and giggles ... but OK to let go ... (I got rid of mint MS2K with few regrets ... )
Last edited by Diametro on Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
JP8,JP6,FanX7,VSynthXT;NI Maschine; KP3x2;RE-201;MOTU828mk2;HS80ms

MY NEW ALBUM ... 70s Electronica / Synth Songwriting
http://electrocabaret.bandcamp.com/

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:55 pm

right off the bat, sixtrak & poly 800. maybe the DX-7 unless you're loving it.

michael stein

Post by michael stein » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:03 am

Farfisa Fast 5 has been cut so far. Awaiting a buyer.

edfunction
Gear: sh-101, monomachine, nordmodular, esx1, nova, jx3p, jx8p, prophet vs, dx200

Post by edfunction » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:09 am

If it were me;
I would keep the modular things, the 101, the sq80, the cs15 and the mpc and the drm1, maybe the möbius. you'd probably still need the mixer or a bigger one ;)

there's a lot of other stuff i can't see properly or don't know what it is.

the andromeda might make one or two of these things superfluous as well...

michael stein

Post by michael stein » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:37 am

edfunction yes. New mixer, interface, and monitors are on the list. The mobius for me is a midi 2 cv clock/gate sequencer/divider. Its a keeper. And those items you listed to keep are not really even considered for sale.

Space6oy, the sixtrak and poly800 get used the least but, ill probably keep the poly800 cause its quirky, i love battery power, and its only worth $100 dollars. DX-7 might have to go.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:39 am

keep modular, CS, 101, DX and vermona

andromeda beats them all

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:38 am

keep modular, sh101, multiman strings, Yamaha CS, Vermona DRM and, depending on your workflow MPC1000 if you use it as your center sequencing and sampling unit. however if you are on a computer, dunno..

andromeda is analog thru and thru, and sounds like it. not "digital analog". if i ever find a digital that can make such organic pads, and deep bass. im phukin buying straight away. several units. Diametro, if you're smoking something, me want some too :lol: ;)

you should read less into its spec, and ppl babbling online that its a hybrid. they just dont know what they're talking about. playing one and programming one is a much better way to form an opinion. it hasn't any more digital parts in CV modulation section (lfo, env) than some other polyphonics from the late vintage era. few examples would be matrix12, xpander, prophet T8, synthex (which is actually more digital than A6, but anyway).

bottom line, its all analog audio path. and this makes a huge difference. i do admit , one area where they really fkd up, and where the digital mod sources show their ugly side is PWM. its absolutely uncomparable with my jupiter or other oldies, in this area.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:55 am

Man, I'd have a hard time deciding with that collection. It covers the gamut just about. Are there any pieces you find you don't use much or don't care for the sound of? Those should be the first to go.

Think about what an analog poly would be likely to make redundant in your setup. I would bet the Six-Track would find itself collecting dust after you add an Andy to your collection. I have a Microkorg which I've barely touched ever since I got my Andy, so unless you want it for portable use I'd get rid of it.

Definitely keep the modulars and the rare vintage pieces. You never know what you might regret selling down the road. Though it appears you have more than one modular, any redundancy in those you could downsize to free up funds? The DX7 could go and maybe the Casios if you don't need FM/PM, or can replace them with softsynths or modules (TX7 modules are dirt cheap).
clusterchord wrote:i do admit , one area where they really fkd up, and where the digital mod sources show their ugly side is PWM. its absolutely uncomparable with my jupiter or other oldies, in this area.
I guess that explains why I haven't had much luck making PWM patches on the Andy that I like.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

felis

Post by felis » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:02 am

The obvious answer is to get rid of whatever you use the least.

It's possible to be real attached to a piece that isn't used as much as others though, so you've got to consider that too.

If it were mine though:

66 space Modular Synthesizer(.Com,Motm,Encore,Blacet), - keep
FR Mobius, - keep
Yamaha DX-7IID plus, - sell
CS-15, - keep
SCI SixTrack, - sell
MicroKorg, - sell
Korg Poly800, - sell
Ensoniq SQ80, - sell
Mirage, - sell
Roland SH-101, - keep
Farfisa Fast 5, - ?
Univox Multiman, - ?
CZ-1, - sell
Vermona DRM1 MKII, - keep
VL-TONE, - sell
C/B SK-1, - sell
Oberheim DX, - sell
MPC1000. - could go either way depending how it's used

michael stein

Post by michael stein » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:24 am

Felis, the funny thing is you would sell half my equipment and it still wouldn't pay for an A6. Problem is I create over 90% of my tracks out of the box using the MPC as a master sequencer to control various instruments via CV or midi. So if i did sell that much, even if I don't love the synths, it would effect my workflow. Wish i could buy the A6 straight up and sell the redundant stuff later but can't afford to. Im always sayin ill sell the microkorg but then last week i started using the arpeggiators swing function and getting some crazy timing that I love right now. Does the A6 have swing for the arp?
Last edited by michael stein on Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

felis

Post by felis » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:57 am

michael stein wrote:Felis, the funny thing is you would sell half my equipment and it still wouldn't pay for an A6. ....

:D Ha ha - it's easy to be ruthless with someone else's gear.

No swing on the A6 arp. As comprehensive as it may be, it doesn't do everything. If it did, no one would need anything else.

That's the thing - you probably have had your setup for a while and each piece has stuff that it does well. Probably the best bet is to just think of getting an A6 sometime in the future without having to sell anything that's working well for you.

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:31 am

dunno i could easily do a whole album with your modular, eventide, mpc samples/seq/drum, vermona, 101, multiman and andromeda.. that would be one helluva setup.

for straight digital, complex stuff, to complement this if needed, i'd run it from a PC, for example Absynth or Chameleon, and then process it thru some of these analog goodies bfr commiting to tape-

just a thought..

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Post by Scories » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:35 am

I was also thinking about getting one and a friend of mine who reallly REALLY knows a lot more than me about analog synths (professionnal jazzman/famous musician/synth teatcher...) warned me about the soft/lazy enveloppes of the A6. He said he go rid of it with no regrets.

Then I thought about it and realised that that thing is way too big! I mean, spending 3K on a machine, then you have to use it as much as possible ..and in someways, it might not be good for creativity and freedom.
A scaled down/affordable rack version of it would have been just right ..but that monster!!!

Sorry, I don't help much..

I guess I would get rid of anything that sounds generic or that doesn't nurture my very personnal creativity. Or maybe get rid of something that is too much connected to a musical style you're not into anymore, even if it has a sentimental value.

...and if you want to get rid of the Multiman, don't hesitate to PM me!

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:17 am

What is it you think you're missing that will be filled by the Andromeda?