What would you sell to help fund andromeda, if u were me?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: What would you sell to help fund andromeda, if u were me?

Post by otto » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:19 am

What's the white modular thingy?
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:20 am

What's the white modular thingy?
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:32 am

Synthaholic wrote:
clusterchord wrote:i do admit , one area where they really fkd up, and where the digital mod sources show their ugly side is PWM. its absolutely uncomparable with my jupiter or other oldies, in this area.
I guess that explains why I haven't had much luck making PWM patches on the Andy that I like.
set the engine optimizer to "very smooth lfo / pwm" and "dark bass - warm pads"

huge difference IMO

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:33 am

otto wrote:What's the white modular thingy?
the vermona DRM

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:26 am

the walls.

and the poly-800, anything paraphonic is incinerated when it come's in near contact with the poly-god.

michael stein
Band: S U R V I V E

Post by michael stein » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:57 am

i wish i could afford a cs-80, and i dont have a true dual osc. analog poly.

Raiven
Gear: See Signature.....
Band: Eventyde

Post by Raiven » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:08 am

Not a damn thing, except for the Microkorg. :lol:
Korg M3 (Fully Loaded), Blofeld Keyboard, MPC 2500 LE, (Monomachine), Logic Studio 8, Live 6, FM8, Absynth 4, Predator, Alpha3, Korg Legacy Collection, (Shioitor), Drumazon, Nepheton, Stylus RMX

http://www.myspace.com/eventydejams

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:55 pm

The Andromeda is a funny synth, you either connect with it and totally love it's sound and texture or you/ll use it for awhile and think "what the h**l is all the fuss about, this thing sucks".
I love mine, when I play it, it's to me one of the synths I've always searched for and after a year it's stood the test of time where ordinarily I know within 3 months if I love or will sell a synth.

I don't buy into the argument it will fill this or that void of other synths, it is what it is, it's an Andromeda and it sounds like an Andromeda and whatever flavor you want to personally color it with.

Unless you've had hands-on experience with one and have been able to spend time with one, I would highly recommend if possible for you to buy one and after using it for awhile, you will know what synths you won't need anymore. I know you stated you can't buy one straight up, but if there's any way...........

As I've said, people buy an Andromeda because of the hype surrounding it and the specs on paper but it has the type of sound that is not for everyone. I've read enough comments from people who've purchased one expecting it to sound like X or Y and then are disappointed and wind up selling it.

Good luck with your decision.
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:39 pm

it also takes a lot of time to get used to the andromeda. there is so much that can be done with it, you just need to know how to program it properly. just knowing about subtractive synthesis / other synths is really not enough with it.

i have to bump my andy tips and tricks thread soon ;)

elmacaco

Post by elmacaco » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:26 pm

I sold a number of things to get my Andromeda years ago, I have no regrets, but I did carefully weigh what I sold and made sure I kept things that I used the most in my tracks, sometimes those things were less impressive on paper than what I ended up keeping.

Also, I loved everything that I sold, because I love synthesizers, it wasn't something I sold because I didn't like it, but because it wasn't working for me as much as something else, but upon preparing the items for sale I realized that they were a huge amount of fun and great sounds were able to come out that I hadn't realized earlier because of other synths that take precedence or them having been at an awkward angle to use due to lack of space etc. My rationale was that the Andromeda would be central and by exploring it I would get to know it's user interface really well, and then have 16 voices of that synth to pound away at. I never feel I need any of the synths I sold, but I love synths, so playing with them again or another new synth I've never played with is always fun.

Withh all that said, here is my recommendation to you, similar to what most people have said really.

66 space Modular Synthesizer(.Com,Motm,Encore,Blacet), - KEEP
FR Mobius, - KEEP
Yamaha DX-7IID plus, - Sell unless you love it, the A6 can't do polyphinic FM in tune very well, so this could be useful if it is part of your sound.

CS-15, - KEEP - you don;t really have another good vintage mono, and this is a good pairing with the Andromeda
SCI SixTrack, - Sell
MicroKorg, - Sell or keep, they aren't going to go up in price, so if you miss it you can get another, but if you are using it a lot and find it indispensible, it's not a bad thing to keep.

Korg Poly800, - Sell, you can always get another if you miss it
Ensoniq SQ80, - Keep or sell, depends on how you use it, Andromeda will do a lot of this much better, but poly aftertouch and cool synth inside is cool if you use it alot. My guess is that if you keep it after the A6 it won;t get much use at all.
Mirage, - Sell, unless you use it to get character into samples before dumping into the MPC, you migth consider getting an ensoniq sampler EPS/ASR to replace this and the SQ80
Roland SH-101, - KEEP
Farfisa Fast 5, - ? Love it but big and no real need, can get another better farfisa if you gotta have it later.
Univox Multiman, - Keep for now, rare and cool
CZ-1, - Sell
Vermona DRM1 MKII, - KEEP
VL-TONE, - SELL
C/B SK-1, - SELL unless you love and use it alot
Oberheim DX, - I would keep this, very fun and nice sounds, sell later if need be.
MPC1000. - KEEP KEEP KEEP

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:45 pm

Oberheim DX/DMX
MicroKorg
Poly 800
DX-7
SQ-80 (ESQ-1?)
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:54 pm

Sell what you use the least and sell what is most easily replaceable if the Andromeda doesn't work out for you.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

Malik

Post by Malik » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:29 pm

[quote="Scories"]I was also thinking about getting one and a friend of mine who reallly REALLY knows a lot more than me about analog synths (professionnal jazzman/famous musician/synth teatcher...) warned me about the soft/lazy enveloppes of the A6. He said he go rid of it with no regrets.
quote]

Believe it or not, the envelopes have since been addressed by software updates and their behavior can be changed in the engine optimizer. It takes more CPU, I believe, for the snappier envelopes, but they have almost as much bite as my Roland SH-1, which was based on the System 700. Very puncy.

Just a sidenote.

;->

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:35 pm

yes that's true. you need the unofficial latest beta OS 1.40.13

they are very very fast

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:42 pm

Off Topic
What would you sell to help fund andromeda, if u were me?
My arsehole? I have heard there's good money to be made down at the docks.