Oberheim OBX 4 voice/MIDI/Patch 96 sell or keep?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
igirl

Oberheim OBX 4 voice/MIDI/Patch 96 sell or keep?

Post by igirl » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:53 pm

I have just been reunited with my old OBX which had been lost for YEARS by a notorious L.A. repair shop.
It is still in need of some repairs (tuning and if wanted, key contacts - though with MIDI not necessary) but is working just fine according to the tech who found it! It was also in excellent condition cosmetically when I handed it off to them...hopefully still is!

I talked to tonetweakers about selling it to them, but I have no real clue what the actual value of these are these days and don't want to get taken advantage of.

It has the Hi-Tech MIDI kit installed, as well as Jim Cooper's JLC Patch 96 - giving you 3 banks of 32 programs extra.
It was purchased new by me in 1980...though it could be a 1979 version - all I know is it was one of the first ones to come to Detroit where I lived at the time, I moved to California shortly after.

So the inevitable question - what's it worth???? :?

I'll add it to the "For Sale" classified area if I decide to let it go - maybe even go to eBay - still unsure as to fix and keep, or let it go... I don't play any more...

Karen

karen@karenengel.com - email
http://www.karenengelphotography.com - website

Rangoon

Re: Oberheim OBX 4 voice/MIDI/Patch 96 sell or keep?

Post by Rangoon » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:45 am

The big question regarding any four-voice OBX is.....does it have the upper tray that makes it possible to add extra voices? If not, then it will always be stuck with just the four voices even if you were to obtain the extra voice cards (because there's nowhere to put them). A decent looking, perfectly working OBX with more than four voices is generally worth more than the later OBXa or OB8 in the same condition. I would say $2500 at the very minimum. Not sure what a four-voice would be worth...

igirl

Post by igirl » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:35 am

Thank you! It sounds like one way or another the beast is worth saving then at least! :-)
I'll ask about the expandability, but being an early model might preclude this....

I left the music business back in 2001 for good, but now I remember one of the reasons I loved it so much - it's full of great people!!! Thanks again for you response!

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:30 pm

Worth fixing up for sure. You best bet is to sell here or on ebay. Resellers are in the business to make a profit so they are going to buy for as low as they can.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

igirl

Post by igirl » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:17 pm

I should have it back from the shop in top quality condition by early February at the latest - at which point I will decide to keep or sell.

I will entertain offers before then if interested parties happen upon this thread. Contact info above... Thanks!

igirl

Post by igirl » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:06 pm

UPDATE - a year and a half later.... The tech from the Synth Museum and I both sort of didn't follow up and it's just now getting finished up.

Not one has come up on Ebay though I suppose I could ultimately just list it there and let it do whatever - but I also do currently now have an interested party who wants to know how much I want for it.

Still No Clue. Thoughts?

Cybercardinal
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cybercardinal » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:51 pm

I cant tell you how much it worth, but if you want the most from it I do believe the way is to fix it up so that everything works and then list it on ebay (not in the hollidayseason) with no reserve and lots of good pictures taken outside in daylight, describing the upgrades etc.

Get a quote from your tech how much it will cost..