Choosing my first synth on a budget.

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Choosing my first synth on a budget.

Postby eMh » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:25 pm

Hi. Ive been making electronic music for about three years now and I've come to a need of a hardware synth. I mainly focus on Industrial/Noise/Breakbeat. Ive got a link to my Myspace profile in my signature.
Since i am an underage student with no job atm, im on a fairly strict budget-about 500$
I have got a midi keyboard, so it can be a sound module/rack unit. I am quite heavily into programming and exploring new sounds, so the presets on the machine dont really matter.
Having explored quite alot on this site, I've made a list of possible synths:
Alesis Ion
Alesis Micron
Korg MS2000(r)
Korg microKORG(Only if i got it really cheap, as i have quite large fingers :D )
Yamaha AN1X
Novation A-Station
Novation KS (r)

Im hoping for some opinions and/or more possible options from more experienced users, the pros and cons of those synths and general advice.
I also excuse for my bad english. :roll:
eMh

Gear: Edirol PCR-M50+pc
Korg MS2000
Polivoks
Alesis HR-16
Band: experiMENTALhospital

Re: Choosing my first synth on a budget.

Postby Ashe37 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:22 am

The Novation synths you're listed are going to be a little... smooth for the kind of music you're working with. The MS2000r and microkorg both have limited polyphony. PRogramming the micron is a bit involved, but it has decent p[polyphony and is multitimbral. One thing i notice is missing from your list is an Access Virus A or B... A models regularly go for under $400 while Bs are runnign right around the 500 mark.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Postby edfunction » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:53 am

re: novation synths.
They can be pushed into harshness, but it's not really their forte.
That said, I enjoy my nova. They can be had for quite a bit less than $500...

A 2nd hand nord modular would be perfect too.
edfunction

Gear: sh-101, monomachine, nordmodular, esx1, nova, jx3p, jx8p, prophet vs, dx200

Postby code green » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:48 am

might the esq-1 or sq-80 suit our poster's needs? and leave him goodly scratch left over....
code green

Gear: prophet 600/evolver/juno 6/alpha juno 2/bassst'n/crumar performer/jv1010/suitcase rhodes 73/ '78 gibson l6-s/'73 guild mahogany/'69 fender princeton
Band: thermite zapruder

Postby tekkentool » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:16 am

virus B sounds good, or a jp-8000!
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Postby eMh » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:30 pm

Ok, did some market research and the lucky winner seems to bee Yamaha cs1x-just because there's one available in my country(A proper synth sell pops up about four-five times a year around here) for about 200$, which is a lot cheaper than the normal going rate on ebay.de for example. I'll be closing the deal next week, i think.
I tried to find a decently priced Virus in europe, had no luck. Same goes to the other options you guys offered.
Still, I would like to thank you all for advice.:)
eMh

Korg MS2000
Polivoks
Alesis HR-16

Postby balma » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:44 pm

AN1x will ALWAYS be a great choice for almost any genre. And you can get one on even $300. And could get another Yamaha on $200, a RM1x to sequence it..

JP8080 is one of my fav virtual analog synths, and is around $500. Sequencer on board, line in, fat sound, great controllers, low poly (10). Is better than the JP8000

The yamaha Csx1 mentioned above, is a limitated rompler, not so recommended to edit your own sounds, is good as a midi controller but I would not invest a penny on it....

The Novation desktop VAs are also suitable for the sound you are looking at. The Novation Nova.... mmmmm

You mentioned Alesis ION. Don't go for the Micron, since is poor on controllers. You need to get your hands busy on a lot of knobs, get the Ion....

I could not say this 8 years ago, but $500 is a good budget today, so don't understimate it.....

I also go for the Virus, not the A, but the B is already a harsh powerful sound synth.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Postby eMh » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:20 pm

Well, the cs1x is the best available for me right now, since i had to cut my budget down a lot..
About the RM1x, I've looked into it alot recently and I think it will be my next buy, then a drum machine (i LOVE modded Alesis HR-16's) or a sampler.
I had no luck of finding an an1x for the budget i have now, but I will definetly consider getting one in the future, I've seen in person what can be done with it.
eMh

Korg MS2000
Polivoks
Alesis HR-16

Postby balma » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:20 pm

the RM1x is a very comprehensive drum machine-sequencer. It has a huge display, lots of groovy effects. I advice you this is totally dance-live performance instrument, not oriented to industrial at all. Sounds can be edited on a limited way, but it has a good selection

However, is truly complex machine when talking about sequencing patterns for dance music. I just got one on $175 on Ebay. The price is very OK for the features you get for your money
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Postby Hyde » Fri May 25, 2018 5:53 pm

CS1x is a great budget choice. put some headphones on & work through some videos on you tube. Find something that speaks to you. Ensoniq SQ1 is a great board. Kawai, Yamaha also made some nice stuff in the 90's
Makin' Noises
Hyde

Gear: Ensoniq Mirage-EPS-EPS16-ASR10
Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000

Return to Buyer's Guide