About the Voyager...

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Gianni

About the Voyager...

Post by Gianni » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:55 am

Hey everyone, I've decided I'm going to get a Minimoog Voyager to replace my Model D on stage and touring.
I won't be anywhere near a Moog store until next year when I move back and I wanted to know:

-is there any difference between the Performer Edition and the Select Series beyond looks? I'm 99.9% sure not, but I always prefer asking before doing something stupid.

-is there much difference in the construction of both? I mean, I'd love to take a Voyager Select around, but will it not resist as much gigging as the performer or is the "Performer" part just a way of saying it is not as expensive?

Thanks,

Gianni.

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Re: About the Voyager...

Post by RobotHeroes » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:28 am

I am pretty sure the difference is customization. The select series have different colored backlit labeling, wheels and different casing finishes. And for what like $300 less you can have a performer without the lighting and case is in one color. They both have the same OS and can store 896 patches etc.

And if you don't want patch storage Novamusik has 2 Voyager OS' left for $1,899. :(
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:29 pm

I would go with the Little Phatty for touring, fwiw.

Gianni

Post by Gianni » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:26 am

RH: Thanks, I did see the OS and believe me I was tempted, but I think I'll need the patch storage since I will be using a small live setup [just V-SynthGT + Voyager].

b3groover: Thanks for the suggestion; I thought about that too. But I'm really liking the Voyager idea, and I'm trying to stay as close to the D as I can.
And I'm sure this will be my last buy for a while so I might as well make myself happy with a shiny expensive toy. :lol:

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:37 am

I understand and I felt the same way, which is why I bought a used Signature Edition Voyager. I love it and therein lies the problem. I could not replace it if something happened to it on the gig. Not that it's especially delicate or anything, but I just don't feel comfortable with it on stage. Plus it is quite heavy. I'd much prefer an LP in retrospect.

Hopefully I can score an LP one of these days and leave the Voyager at home.

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:03 am

Go Little Phatty.

I don't like the touch screen, I've decided. It's in the wrong place and it feels 'awkward' when I have to place my digits there. I am starting to see more sense in having the OS Voyager. It makes you want to make your own sounds rather than play presets. I only wish it had a midi for syncing up to a midi sequencer and other midi stuff.

The touch screen, would've been better as 'log' the way Korg did up the Prophecy.

Although I'm tempted to give up the Voyager, the fact that mine is also signed hesitates this idea.
b3groover wrote:I understand and I felt the same way, which is why I bought a used Signature Edition Voyager. I love it and therein lies the problem. I could not replace it if something happened to it on the gig. Not that it's especially delicate or anything, but I just don't feel comfortable with it on stage. Plus it is quite heavy. I'd much prefer an LP in retrospect.

Hopefully I can score an LP one of these days and leave the Voyager at home.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:45 am

Phollop Willing PA wrote:I am starting to see more sense in having the OS Voyager. It makes you want to make your own sounds rather than play presets. I only wish it had a midi for syncing up to a midi sequencer and other midi stuff.
i got an OS yesterday, and it's quite grand! Gives further meaning to it's own name as finding every new sound is a bit of a journey in itself. I don't miss having presets; not even a little on this synth. Nor MIDI - CV converters are plentiful and inexpensive; even comes built-in to some synths now.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies