Help choosing my first synth

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Gregor

Help choosing my first synth

Post by Gregor » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:25 pm

I´ve decided to buy my first synth, so far i´ve only played guitar and occasionally played with soft synths. My budget is about 450 bucks.
Im looking for a synth that sounds very "warm", like the ones used by "black moth super rainbow" in this video:

or Carbon Based Lifeforms

Im guessing i need synth with some nice pads and put on a ton of reverb? maybe som slight overdrive. I´ve got some guitar pedals i think i can use for that.

Ive been looking at the Micro korg but i dont like the keys on it, and the Micron seems like a better alternative, anyone else got any suggestions? i dont mind buying second hand:)

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Help choosing my first synth

Post by otto » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:45 pm

You could buy a used MS2000. It's basically a microkorg in a real synth package with full sized keys and knobs. It would be a good synth to learn on too... The micron can be confusing for a newbie because its a lot of synth packed into a limited interface. a knobby interface such as the MS2000 is a lot more intuitive.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:56 pm

well the Ion is a micron with knobs and a pretty handy interface, but it on $500.

For pads, the Yamaha Ex7 is also around $500, and it has a unique engine, full of bugs but amazing sound and great pads, specially with the FDSP effects, and the great strings sampled on it.

Korg wavestation? how much is it nowadays?

Would you mind to get an old synth but warm synth, or you want a modern synth computer friendly?

As far as I know, the Blofeld can make great pads also.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:07 am

This'll get you where you want to be, I think.

Good luck.

A young child says to his mother, “Mom, when I grow-up I think I’d like to be a synth player.”

She replies, “Well honey, you know you can’t do both.”
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

Gregor

Post by Gregor » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:20 pm

Thanks for all the help. Im pretty fond of tweaking so i dont mind a synth with a tricky interface, although a simple interface is easier :roll: . I dont know much about analog vs digital, or new vs old, but om not a "handy man" so i dont think i could fix something that breaks down once in a while.

Again, thanks for the help! This forum seems very friendly and helpful. im gonna start googling a bit now, and see which one of the synths, fit my style.

Drill
Gear: Electro Faustus EF101, DSI MoPho,Korg DDD1,ZOOM MRT-3b,a few guitar pedals, bells, hammers, sheet metal, junk percussion, and whatever else
Band: Cranial Drill

Post by Drill » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:40 pm

get anything but a moog, they suck.