Is this a wise decision?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Is this a wise decision?

Post by monolith » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:47 pm

My dream synth has always been the Korg MS-20.
I've currently got a Korg Mono/Poly, SH-2000, SH-101, Juno-6, and an SH-2 incoming ( i missed my old one too much).

Anyway, I'm thinking of selling the Mono/poly to fund an MS-20.
Though i'm not inclined to have other people make my decisions for me, I would like to know if you would consider this to be a wise choice.
The Mono/Poly is a great synth, but I find that unlike my Rolands - where everything seems to sound good on any setting - the M/P sounds kind of boring a lot of the time, but when you find a good setting it is MIND BLOWING.

At this point it's looking good to sell the M/P to fund an MS-20, but I'd love to know what you cats think.. Am I being silly?

cheers. :mrgreen:

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Re: Is this a wise decision?

Post by Hybrid88 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:26 pm

mmm, well really you have to ask which one is more important to your music. The Mono/Poly would be damn hard to get should you regret selling it, that said it's not the kind of synth that grabs my attention as much as an MS-20. What I'd do in your situation is sell the Juno-6 and replace it with a Juno-60, that'll strengthen up your polysynth category enough to sell the Mono/Poly to fund the MS-20.

What I can say is that the MS-20 is in my opinion a much nicer synth than a Mono/Poly, but then it's all personal taste in the end. I'd go so far as to say that the MS-20 is my favourite vintage Korg synth by far, but again it's your opinion that matters to your situation.

Have you got a deal lined up on an MS? Be your best bet to try one out in person if possible, failing that YouTube demos are your second best option.

Cheers.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:40 pm

Last week when you posted the MP-4 vs. MS20 vs. SH-2 thread, I made this realization about the MP-4:

Consider the synth at the time it was designed and sold: early 80's. At that time, synths were not inexpensive and professionals and hobbyists were lucky to have a single synth, let alone two or more. In my opinion, the MP-4's strength is as a monosynth rather than a poly, but for a musician in the early 80's to have a synth to cover both areas at a relativley inexpensive price, the MP-4 was an asset.

It really boils down to your need, though. If you sell your MP-4 to help fund a MS20, you'll only have one analog poly and 3 monos. If the JU-6 & MicroKorg can fill all your polysynth needs, then I'd say do it. While the MP-4 has the most sonic capibilties of your current monos, the MS20 will bring much more to the table in that arena.

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:54 pm

monolith wrote:My dream synth has always been the Korg MS-20.
I've currently got a Korg Mono/Poly, SH-2000, SH-101, Juno-6, and an SH-2 incoming ( i missed my old one too much).

Anyway, I'm thinking of selling the Mono/poly to fund an MS-20.....

cheers. :mrgreen:
My opinion: YES!
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:13 am

Thanks for the answers, I'm not in a rush to do this so I guess I'll work it out in good time.
Hybrid88 wrote:What I'd do in your situation is sell the Juno-6 and replace it with a Juno-60, that'll strengthen up your polysynth category enough to sell the Mono/Poly to fund the MS-20.
What can a Juno-60 do that a Juno 6 cant? besides patch storage that is..

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:42 am

monolith wrote: What can a Juno-60 do that a Juno 6 cant? besides patch storage that is..
With the Juno 60's DCB port, you can hook it up to a MIDI rig using a Roland MD-8, Kenton Pro-DCB or CHD MDCB-2v2.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Hybrid88 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:57 am

monolith wrote:Thanks for the answers, I'm not in a rush to do this so I guess I'll work it out in good time.
Hybrid88 wrote:What I'd do in your situation is sell the Juno-6 and replace it with a Juno-60, that'll strengthen up your polysynth category enough to sell the Mono/Poly to fund the MS-20.
Well, personally the inclusion of patch storage alone would be more than enough to make it a worthwhile upgrade, it's not all about sound, workflow is also crucial.

What you could do is take your Mono/Poly out of your studio/workspace and try doing without it for a while, that'll really help you see whether you can live without it or not. But really the MS-20 is a simply fantastic synth, I'm not sure many people would say that of a Mono/Poly.

Drill
Gear: Electro Faustus EF101, DSI MoPho,Korg DDD1,ZOOM MRT-3b,a few guitar pedals, bells, hammers, sheet metal, junk percussion, and whatever else
Band: Cranial Drill

Post by Drill » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:44 pm

sell everything you own, and buy as many ms-20s you can, then build a house out of them.

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:49 am

Hybrid88 wrote:
monolith wrote:Thanks for the answers, I'm not in a rush to do this so I guess I'll work it out in good time.
Well, personally the inclusion of patch storage alone would be more than enough to make it a worthwhile upgrade, it's not all about sound, workflow is also crucial.

What you could do is take your Mono/Poly out of your studio/workspace and try doing without it for a while, that'll really help you see whether you can live without it or not. But really the MS-20 is a simply fantastic synth, I'm not sure many people would say that of a Mono/Poly.
I chose a Juno-6 over a 60 because it didnt have patch storage. I dont use Midi either.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Hybrid88 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:52 am

monolith wrote:I chose a Juno-6 over a 60 because it didnt have patch storage. I dont use Midi either.
Hmm, Ok but this is an advantage in what way? I have the exact opposite way of thinking so probably best to ignore what I say - except that the MS-20 is awesome ;)

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:05 am

Hybrid88 wrote:
monolith wrote:I chose a Juno-6 over a 60 because it didnt have patch storage. I dont use Midi either.
Hmm, Ok but this is an advantage in what way? I have the exact opposite way of thinking so probably best to ignore what I say - except that the MS-20 is awesome ;)
=)

Technically it's not an advantage, but the thing I like most about analog synthesizers (along with the sound) is the immediacy and intimacy of having one knob/slider for every parameter. I know the Juno-60 has this, but I just don't like presets because it changes the sound, but not the settings.

It may seem silly to you, but for me it's what makes the synthesizer experience so fun. I dig that I can look at my sh-101 & Juno-6 and know what it's going to sound like before I even press a key. It's a little harder with the M/P though :D