Crumar Roady

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Crumar Roady

Post by Cumulus » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:51 pm

Has anyone here played/owned a Crumar Roady electric piano? If so, what are your thoughts. Woudl it be worth picking one up for under $150.00 or so?

tim gueguen

Re: Crumar Roady

Post by tim gueguen » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:51 am

You can hear a hissy version of the original Crumar demo record for it here: http://www.keyboardmuseum.org/soundshee ... roady.html Seems to be your typical late 70s square wave electronic piano, and apparently not touch sensitive.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

alan partridge

Post by alan partridge » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:29 pm

got one of these little lads - lovely sound - *massively* helps to get hold of a crumar sustain pedal on ebay ( without that sounds very short ) , and an analog or digital delay, and then you'll be amazed how good it can sound . Very mellow and atmospheric w/ sustain & delay, & has a better key action than the earlier crumar electronic pianos too. Bear in mind its a really basic action and nothing like a rhodes or anything like that. i'll never part with mine & love it for ambient lines- good luck if you go for it...;)

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:55 pm

alan partridge wrote:got one of these little lads - lovely sound - *massively* helps to get hold of a crumar sustain pedal on ebay ( without that sounds very short ) , and an analog or digital delay, and then you'll be amazed how good it can sound . Very mellow and atmospheric w/ sustain & delay, & has a better key action than the earlier crumar electronic pianos too. Bear in mind its a really basic action and nothing like a rhodes or anything like that. i'll never part with mine & love it for ambient lines- good luck if you go for it...;)
Thanks.

Does it have to be a Crumar sustain pedal or will a different brand fit?

Electroluver
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MS-20, M-500, Polysix, PAiA 4700, ROL309, C64 MSSIAH, JX8P, K2000J, SY-1010.
Band: DJ NAMELESS

Post by Electroluver » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:12 am

Just purchased my first Crumar Roady and have to say it has some interesting features. I traded if for an Akai MiniAK, which I traded for a Roland Juno 2 with a faulty keyboard. So, it was a move forward. I felt the MiniAK didn't quite deliver the sound I was looking to get on my tracks.
The Roady is a fairly large instrument and it has play-ability. I felt trapped on the 3 octave MiniAK. The sounds were lackluster to the lush Rhodes styled "vibes."
The move towards a 61 key was the main motivator.
Unfortunately there's no filter on the Roady, but it still has a lot of character. I was able to get the Crumar pedal, which makes all the difference. I can't imagine not having the pedal.