buy an iffy arp 2600 for $1000?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
drawtippy
Band: Draw Tippy

Re: buy an iffy arp 2600 for $1000?

Post by drawtippy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:12 pm

Ha, being a NYer I saw this too and instantly wrote the guy. He wrote back saying the response was insane... at least 30 people were interested and the highest bid was now $500. Hmm... at $100 you could still part it out, if it was dead and get your money back. At $500 it starts to get a little iffy. BTW, what is inside the lid? That confused me. Anyway, tempted but I think I'll pass.
Visit http://www.arttestmusic.com

Voyager, JP-6, Pro-One, 800DV, CZ-101, VL-1, Micron, Solina, OB-Xa, JX-8P, Sid Station, xoxbox

roland4387
Gear: TB-303(x's 2), EML 101, System 100 Model 101, TR-808 & 606, SH-2, ARP Odyssey MKII, Korg MS-20, Xbase999, Korg KMS-30, SBX-80, Future Retro Mobius

Post by roland4387 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:51 pm

Congratulations Code, you chose - wisely! :D

Now send it off to Phil Cirocco to have it fully restored for $7500. I keed, I keed! :P

drawtippy

Post by drawtippy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:04 pm

Like I said, I responded to this ad but you guys are missing the point! This was originally listed on Craigslist for $100 bucks. Yes, $100 bucks. By the time he got back to me, he said it was up to $500 bucks and could I beat that. Anyhow, best of luck with the synth, code. Maybe I can hop on the L train and come out and play it someday.

Voyager, JP-6, Pro-One, 800DV, CZ-101, VL-1, Micron, Solina, OB-Xa, JX-8P, Sid Station, xoxbox

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:20 pm

That's insane. The guy should've known by the response that he had something much more valuable. I always feel torn when I come upon these types of situtations. I'm not implying you (the buyer) did anything wrong, but it makes you think.

For instance, I bought my 1958 B3 from a guy for $20. Yes, $20. He was giving it away and I gave him $20 because he helped me move it. But he didn't seem to care about the instrument or money.

Another time I got a call from a guy who bought a house with a B3 in the basement. I went there and it was a MINT condition 1957 B3 with a tone cabinet. The guy had no idea what it was worth. I could've said "Ah, these old things aren't worth much. I know someone who can get it out of here for you." But I looked at him and his three kids and the fact that he just bought a new house... you know he could use the money... so I told him what it was really worth. A few months later I saw it at the local music store for $5k. He probably got $3k out of it or perhaps they traded him a piano for it. In either case, he made some money.

But man... a 2600 for $100. Even $500. Even $1000. h**l, even $2000 is a deal. Good score man. Enjoy it!

code green
Gear: prophet 600/evolver/juno 6/alpha juno 2/bassst'n/crumar performer/jv1010/suitcase rhodes 73/ '78 gibson l6-s/'73 guild mahogany/'69 fender princeton
Band: thermite zapruder

Post by code green » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:26 pm

drawtippy wrote:Like I said, I responded to this ad but you guys are missing the point! This was originally listed on Craigslist for $100 bucks. Yes, $100 bucks. By the time he got back to me, he said it was up to $500 bucks and could I beat that. Anyhow, best of luck with the synth, code. Maybe I can hop on the L train and come out and play it someday.
that was my offer. i saw the posting minutes after he put it up and i told him he should know it was worth considerably more than he was asking and if he nonetheless wanted to just get rid of it, i'd give him $500 for it. and if, on reflection, he wanted more than that i'd be interested to hear his price and hopefully work something out...the final price reflected that.

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:29 pm

code green wrote:
drawtippy wrote:Like I said, I responded to this ad but you guys are missing the point! This was originally listed on Craigslist for $100 bucks. Yes, $100 bucks. By the time he got back to me, he said it was up to $500 bucks and could I beat that. Anyhow, best of luck with the synth, code. Maybe I can hop on the L train and come out and play it someday.
that was my offer. i saw the posting minutes after he put it up and i told him he should know it was worth considerably more than he was asking and if he nonetheless wanted to just get rid of it, i'd give him $500 for it. and if, on reflection, he wanted more than that i'd be interested to hear his price and hopefully work something out...the final price reflected that.
Very cool. I hope you don't think I was ragging on you. Far from it. These kind of situations are interesting.

synthnoob
Gear: TR-909,TR-606, SH-101, Microkorg, a couple guitars, a bass and a s**t load of fuzz pedals

Post by synthnoob » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:11 am

Good for you man. I saw that too and freaked. ARP for 100 bones. I got that same email about the 500 dollar offer and 30 other replies. I didnt have any cash any where and tried talking my dad to spot me some cash ("dad, this is kinda of like buying google stock before any one knew what google was.") dint work.
Im happy for ya man, But, for all the other freaks in the NY area who thought they were gonna get the deal of the century, pleeeeeeeeeese, pretty please, can you put up a you tube vid :cryin:
Nice F'n score!

code green
Gear: prophet 600/evolver/juno 6/alpha juno 2/bassst'n/crumar performer/jv1010/suitcase rhodes 73/ '78 gibson l6-s/'73 guild mahogany/'69 fender princeton

Post by code green » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:24 am

no worries drawtippy, didn't take it that way. and thanks to all for the congratulations. don't know about youtube but i promise i'll make some recordings with it and post them here. you should check out automatic gainsay's 2600 vids on youtube if you haven't already. they've certainly been helpful to me in addressing some questions i've had about this synth's architecture.

interesting thing about this synth--it came to the seller, who never played it, via a now-deceased musician and engineer who devised what i guess could be called an expansion board for it...two add'l vco's, an envelope generator, a phaser, and something else i can't yet identify, all with their own ins/outs. the 2600 has some mods too, presumably to accommodate this "expanser," though i can't yet be sure that's the only reason for the mods. want to share but may start another thread to do it, since this one's know in buyer's guide.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:11 am

drawtippy wrote:Ha, being a NYer I saw this too and instantly wrote the guy. He wrote back saying the response was insane... at least 30 people were interested and the highest bid was now $500. Hmm... at $100 you could still part it out, if it was dead and get your money back. At $500 it starts to get a little iffy. BTW, what is inside the lid? That confused me. Anyway, tempted but I think I'll pass.
You didn't offer more than $500, why? :shock: (I thought this was a typo at first, especially since I can't imagine anyone not wanting to go above $500 for an ARP 2600 in any condition)... True, maybe everyone doesn't have easy access to $500, let alone $1000, but... I would have found that money somehow!! Just the case for this thing is probably worth $1k...

anyways, it's nice the seller didn't start some insane bidding war (well he did, but apparently everyone in NY is broke! :D )
Do you even post on vse bro?

code green

Post by code green » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:03 am

Sir Ruff wrote:
drawtippy wrote:Ha, being a NYer I saw this too and instantly wrote the guy. He wrote back saying the response was insane... at least 30 people were interested and the highest bid was now $500. Hmm... at $100 you could still part it out, if it was dead and get your money back. At $500 it starts to get a little iffy. BTW, what is inside the lid? That confused me. Anyway, tempted but I think I'll pass.
You didn't offer more than $500, why? :shock: (I thought this was a typo at first, especially since I can't imagine anyone not wanting to go above $500 for an ARP 2600 in any condition)... True, maybe everyone doesn't have easy access to $500, let alone $1000, but... I would have found that money somehow!! Just the case for this thing is probably worth $1k...

anyways, it's nice the seller didn't start some insane bidding war (well he did, but apparently everyone in NY is broke! :D )
maybe he would have if i hadn;t taken it, who knows (though he was eminently reasonable). but it seemed he gave me a limited exclusive in return for hipping him to the giddyup, which i appreciated. it's true what you say, though--everyone in nyc is broke. this just isn;t a place where you save money.

code green

Post by code green » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:04 am

so no one kill me, but--this purchase just got better. as posted above, what was originally thought to be some sort of external controller...then thought to hold some additional modular type controls...turns out, on closer inspection and testing, to be a full blown two osc mono synth. two ssm2030 vcos (they seemed to have slightly different ranges) tri/saw/pulse->ssm2040 resonant hi/lo/bp filter->ssm2050 adsr-> some kind of rca phaser. and it's all set up to be integrated with the arp, with cv and audio in/outs and accompanying mods on the 2600 (the osc's on the "expander" are actually labeled vco 4 and vco 5). so correct me if i'm wrong, but it seems to me i actually have basically a pro one hotrodded onto this thing. one thing i know, the expander synth sounds amazing on its own--great filter.

edit: i'm wrong about the pro-one. but i'm still happy.

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:42 am

code green wrote:so no one kill me, but--this purchase just got better. as posted above, what was originally thought to be some sort of external controller...then thought to hold some additional modular type controls...turns out, on closer inspection and testing, to be a full blown two osc mono synth. two ssm2030 vcos (they seemed to have slightly different ranges) tri/saw/pulse->ssm2040 resonant hi/lo/bp filter->ssm2050 adsr-> some kind of rca phaser. and it's all set up to be integrated with the arp, with cv and audio in/outs and accompanying mods on the 2600 (the osc's on the "expander" are actually labeled vco 4 and vco 5). so correct me if i'm wrong, but it seems to me i actually have basically a pro one hotrodded onto this thing. one thing i know, the expander synth sounds amazing on its own--great filter.

edit: i'm wrong about the pro-one. but i'm still happy.
That's unreal man, you must be cheering. Way to go!

ps. I like your band name :geek:

drawtippy

Post by drawtippy » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:45 pm

Ah, that's what all that stuff was inside the lid! I asked him about it but he didn't respond. I guess he just thought it was part of the synth. Why didn't I offer more? Truthfully, I'm saving up for something else and like Code Green said, I was worried I'd be stuck with something that needed thousands in repairs. However, I love this story. There are still great people and great finds out there. Again, way to go Code Green!

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:58 pm

Synth repairs are generally less expensive than people think. So long as you take it to someone who knows what they are doing, preferably someone that really knows that particular synth. Of course if you take it to someone who doesn't know they will charge you for their learning curve and you might not even leave with a fully functional synth...
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:05 pm

code green wrote:maybe he would have if i hadn;t taken it, who knows (though he was eminently reasonable). but it seemed he gave me a limited exclusive in return for hipping him to the giddyup, which i appreciated. it's true what you say, though--everyone in nyc is broke. this just isn;t a place where you save money.
you might have to hip me to this too? (do you mean you gave him some price leverage?)

no, honestly, it would have been a struggle to have scrounged up that much actual cash quickly, but... I would have made sure I was at least first in line! 8-)

Regardless, it's just a fantastic deal, and nice that someone off of here who will go on the learn on it and appreciate it got it...

Can you hit us with some close-ups of the expander section? that alone sounds really interesting-I don't know of many/any synths that utilize the BP/HP parts of the SSM2040 chip... Some sound examples are also de rigueur!!! :!: :mrgreen:
Do you even post on vse bro?