Headphones?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Headphones?

Post by th0mas » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:24 pm

Anyone have a headphones make/model they stand by? I'm looking for ones that are durable and have reasonably flat but accurate bass response down to ~30hz (ie, I can hear sub bass on them well enough to mix). I usually write in starbucks or at night in my apartment, so I need to be able to do this without needing a mixdown & copy into my car.. my current headphones simply do not do it.

I'm looking for personal recommendations.. don't google search for me, I can do that too (and am not being lazy) ;)

druzz
Band: November's Ego

Re: Headphones?

Post by druzz » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:32 pm

i'm looking for a nice pair myself .
my friend recomended me a pair he really got me interrested in them . i dont remenber the exact model . they are seinnheiser around 200$.
the main thing about them is that they do not touch tour ears at all. they go around it .. the reason why you want this: first your ears are not pressed on your head wich usually cause pain after 30 minutes or less . secondly: not only this is more comfortable for long periods of music making but it is better for your audition. your ears are naturally laid out for listening(oh really!), if you modify their position and inject sound directly in it the orifice it'S simply not the best way to listen to stuff. specifically for panning issues .

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:31 pm

If for some reason you decide to go with Sennheiser HD-280s, you won't find a better deal than this

http://www.ewiz.com/query.php?categry=0 ... &x=19&y=21

$71.99 shipped

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:13 pm

Better than specific models, is criteria, but definitely, I always go for AKG. I have a 35 years old pair, and they still working.
In my opinion, the cable joints are always something to pay attention. Also, the materials (nylon cords, not cheap plastic, hard cases on the headphones, weight,) is not just the response frequencies but how much they will last.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Duncanperson
Gear: Korg R3, DSI Evolver, SammichSID, Oto Machines Biscuit, Korg Kaoss Pad, Akai MPD32, MacbookPro

Post by Duncanperson » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:27 pm

I swear by my Sennheiser HD 25-1 mk2. Yes, they are on-ear, but I am so used to them now I can almost wear them all day (I did get pains for the first week or 2 after an hour but I stuck with them). A few reasons why I like them: They have a great sound, very accurate and detailed; they are very portable, small and easy to take places; they also dont need a lot of power to drive them, they work loudly out of any headphones jack without needing a separate amplifier and they also work well in ipods; and they filter outside noise, its not active canceling but they work well in noisy places. Comparison wise they sound a bit better than my AKG K240, more detailed. They are expensive but I do swear by them.

Also, this website shows the frequency response curves and some other stuff:http://www.headphone.com/learning-cente ... phID[]=513
Computers are like airconditioners, they work until you open windows.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:56 pm

balma wrote: is not just the response frequencies but how much they will last.
The very first set of phones I bought for $8 at Lafayette Radio 40 years ago are still working. Too bad they sound like complete c**p :? More expensive and better sounding phones I've bought over the years have died one by one.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

aeon

Post by aeon » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:44 pm

Sony MDR-7506

With daily use, they last about 7-8 years for me. Bass extension - no problem!

They are a studio standard for a reason.

cheers,
Ian

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by th0mas » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:21 am

aeon wrote:Sony MDR-7506

With daily use, they last about 7-8 years for me. Bass extension - no problem!

They are a studio standard for a reason.

cheers,
Ian
Looked at reviews and I think these are "the one". Thanks!

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:40 am

number one rule with headphone, regardless of brand/model, make sure they are comfortable for prolong hours of wear or they are worthless.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

c.circuits

Post by c.circuits » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:01 am

BeyerDynamic DT770

they'll get you VERY close albeit you'll wanna verify on monitors. they're also pretty comfortable too.

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:28 am

i'm using some sony mdr-cd900st. you can't have them here you have to order them from japan (and i think maybe some place in uk). the frequency response is 5-30 000 hz, yep you read well. the sound is flat, to flat for some but that's exactly what i wanted, the bass response is very good. sometime i can barely hear the bass because it's to low, but i can feel that it's there because of the movement of the cone. only problem is that they come with a 1/4 plug.

and you can't realy go wrong with some mdr-7506, nice response also with these.
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:51 am

I'm a MDR-7506 user and I love them, but flatness is not one of their strong points IMO. I find them really comfortable and the high-mids are very present which helps hearing vocals and what's wrong with them. They also have quite good isolation which I need for doing live work. The only cans I'd replace them with would be DT-770s, but I'd probably lose them or have them stolen with all the live work I do so I'm sticking with the Sonys.

If I was choosing headphones solely for mixing on I'd be choosing between the DT-880s and HD-25s. The DT-880s sound very flat and natural, I use them a bit at work, but they're kind of bulky and don't feel like they'll stay on my head unless I'm quite still. The HD-25s have great bass response, haven't used them for a while but when I did I was very impressed.

Personally I avoid mixing on headphones as much as I can; you just can't trust a mix on headphones to translate well in my experience. I've done rough mixes of stuff on headphones on my laptop before and then when I've gotten back to the studio it all sounded like rubbish and I've started again. I guess if I did it enough I'd learn to get a good mix in cans, but I'd rather use small monitors instead.

Cybercardinal
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cybercardinal » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:36 am

You can't go wrong with AKG K 171. They are very comfy and sound great. I prefered them over DT 770, but thats just me.I also have a pair of Sennheiser HD 250, they are great too but I find the AKG more comfy

But people have different headsize so you should try them all them first if you can..

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:35 am

Cybercardinal wrote:But people have different headsize so you should try them all them first if you can..
Totally, especially people who wear glasses.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by th0mas » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:05 pm

Cybercardinal wrote: But people have different headsize so you should try them all them first if you can..
Good point. I bought the Sony's with my fingers crossed. I have an abnormally large head, hopefully it works out ok ;)