Headphones?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
b3groover
Band: THEO

Re: Headphones?

Post by b3groover » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:06 pm

Audio Technica ATH-M50

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:58 pm

Another Sony MDR-7506 user here. I would agree with the prolonged comfort, and would point out that the high frequencies are more present than a flat response, yet do not sound boosted. I liked this because it gives me a nice preview of what certain lowpass filtered signals will sound like in isolation, after high-shelf EQ in the mix. That way I can just keep playing and pretend it already is.
They were the first headphones for me to make it obnoxiously obvious when a track is not perfectly center channel. As always, never use any set of cans for mixing if you can help it.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:14 am

Senn HD600

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:00 pm

Just got my Sony MDR-V6's. Paid about $100 total for a new pair from ebay with shipping. they are awesome! not sure how they'll last, but for now I'm enjoying the sweet sweet bass I've been missing when mixing (and just while enjoying music). Thanks everyone!

colmon

Post by colmon » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:39 pm

i just bought some too! they're amazing, and so comfortable. mixing on monitors is a no-no in my flat as sound travels, so these will be my sole mixing tools. they sound better than my speakers in fact. and since my music won't be getting any airtime any time soon, i could care less whether i should or should not mix solely on headphones.

memory cords

Post by memory cords » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:38 pm

b3groover wrote:Audio Technica ATH-M50
I strongly second this suggestion. The ATH-M50's are really good quality, a real step above anything else I've heard. They are expensive but they are worth it.

Kanfuze

Post by Kanfuze » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:52 pm

for mixing i got my RP-21 lets just say the dont "lie" if its good its good ...

http://www.equationaudio.com/headphones ... phones.php

anoteoftruth
Gear: Moog Little Phatty, Moog Voyager RME, Nord Lead Rack, Microkorg, Korg ER-1, Rocktron Banshee Talkbox, Ableton Live, Trigger Finger, GURU, SP-303
Band: Mr.Marr

Post by anoteoftruth » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:00 pm

I also have a large head. It's relative to the person, but I've tried a ton of headphones while looking for my studio pairs, and nothing sounded as good and natural as the AKG's.