Patchbay (audio, not MIDI) recommendations?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Patchbay (audio, not MIDI) recommendations?

Post by pricklyrobot » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:16 pm

I've been thinking about picking up a patchbay. Had a quick look around the internets; common ones are the $50 Behringer one (have no problem with Behringer per se, but they're not my first thought for something that need to be a bit rugged), and then a dbx and a Neutrik that are both $100. Also came across this Sampson S-Patch that seems cool (switches for the different modes right on the front panel): http://www.samash.com/p/S%20Patch%20Plu ... _-49966985

I have enough inputs on my mixer (It's the Mackie 1402, with six mono 1/4"/XLR Mic inputs, and four sets of 1/4" stereo inputs) for all of my synths and stuff, but I'm looking to utilize my effects sends better (be able to swap effects in and out, change the order of effects, etc.). It has the two Aux sends (and each channel has a knob for Aux 1 and Aux 2) and then each of the the six mono channels has a Channel Insert-type send (where you can use a TRS insert cable patched into the back of the mixer to send that channel to an effect, but no knob, so—unlike w/ the Aux sends—it's always 100% wet).

I probably don't want to spend much more than $100, since I'm not sure how often I'll actually end up using it. Any suggestions/info appreciated. Thanks.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

Esus

Re: Patchbay (audio, not MIDI) recommendations?

Post by Esus » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:49 pm

Go Neutrik.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:43 pm

Esus wrote:Go Neutrik.
Yeah, my friend has a Neutrik, and recommended it. I was just thinking front-panel mode switching might be handy while I'm figuring out exactly how I want to use it (perhaps it's not as big of a deal as I think).
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:16 pm

Esus wrote:Go Neutrik.
+1

Stay away from the Behringer one I had that "Ultrapatch Pro" piece of s**t for a while and was getting crappy connections within a year

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:48 pm

So that's two votes for Neutrik, one against Behringer (I think their products fare better in situations where standing up to heavy physical stress is not a requirement). Cool.

Anyone tried the Samson one, and have a yea or nay to throw in?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:54 pm

Haven't tried the samson, but I've got a Neutrik one and it works fine. They can be a bit stiff to begin with, make sure you put it in a position you can get a good amount of force behind the jacks you're plugging in, they need it sometimes.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:49 pm

Found one of the Samsons in "like new" condition on Ebay, and put in a fairly low bid. So either I'll get it for cheap, or if I'm outbid, I'll go for the Neutrik.

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:45 pm

Similar situation here--I need a patchbay and don't have the funds for one of the higher-end models. Considering the Neutrik, along with the dbx PB-48. I'd consider the Samson, too, but I haven't found many opinions on it. Any additional opinions about these?

Just an fyi--this will be my first patchbay and I need something for easy, on-the-fly switching between instruments and signal processors. Thanks.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:06 am

I went with the Neutrik (after unanimous recommendation on here and from a friend)and promptly bought a second one a week ago (got a good deal on a used one locally, and they fill up quicker than you think ;) ).

Still need to make more cables for the second one, but I've had the first one up and running for a few weeks now. No complaints so far. Does what it should. Switching from half normal to full normal (I have everything full normal, except for the ones coming from my mixer's channel inserts) is a simple matter of taking off the face-plate and flipping the individual boards around, and you can do it while the patchbay is still racked.

The jacks are a bit of a tight fit, so you will want to make sure it's in a non-rickety rack.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:24 pm

I just bought a Neutrik 48 point TRS patchbay(NYS-SPP-L), and while all the channels are switching and connecting as they should, I'm hearing faint cross-talk between adjacent channels, usually the ones immediately to its left or right. Is this normal or faulty?
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:11 pm

i have two Re'an patchbays that have worked fine for me.

Overgear
Gear: AX-73, S3000, MFC42, K5000R, K4r, K1, Nord 3R, MKS-50, Juno-106, JP-8000, CS-10, CS-15, TVS-1, PP SEM(x2), Rogue, Source, Pro-One, P-600, Mopho

Post by Overgear » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:12 pm

Solderman,

I have 3(stacked) and haven't run into it...but you make me want to confirm this a little better. These are the low end of Neutrik line so it might not be a total shocker if it is faulty.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:06 pm

Post deleted because of the poster's complete and utter douchewhackery in regards to cable common sense.
Last edited by Solderman on Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

rockmanrock

Post by rockmanrock » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:38 am

Got two Behringer PX3000s and a PX2000, no problems here, they seem very well made to me. I had the PX1000 for a while and didn't use it because you had to hack it about (cutting PCB traces) to get it denormalled. The PX1000 seems to be a copy of the Neutriks so maybe they need a similar bodge? Switches make life far easier.