Alpha Juno 2

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Re: Alpha Juno 2

Post by ryryoftokyo » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:19 am

Honestly, I love the Alpha Juno 2...Makes some insane sounds. Everything from electric pianos to rave leads. The best part of it is that the board can go from very subtle and soft to blowing the speakers out of your amp.

The filter sounds really nice...while it's no Moog, you can certainly tell it's analog. The oscillators are nice...more customization than you would first see. The digital chorus actually sounds pretty damn nice. My one problem is that there are no knobs (this board BEGS to be tweaked) and the envelope generator is a bit of a pain when you first start with it. It's just an ADSR with variable levels...nothing to worry about.

It plays really nicely with all sorts of FX too!

As far as problems, I know of one (or two)...I've heard the velocity response gets or is really messed up. But the good news is that it can be removed if it happens to be that way. Lastly, at the lower end of the manual I've noticed that keys become intermittent of non functional.

All that said, I would advise the purchase, even if you have to stomach the price.
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

Kriminal

Post by Kriminal » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:01 am

thanks

aftertouch is one thing i would like (missing on my current old controller)

i did strip out a poly61 years ago and fix keys not working, but i dont think i'd do it again ;)

micahjonhughes

Post by micahjonhughes » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:00 pm

ryryoftokyo wrote:As far as problems, I know of one (or two)...I've heard the velocity response gets or is really messed up. But the good news is that it can be removed if it happens to be that way. Lastly, at the lower end of the manual I've noticed that keys become intermittent of non functional.
This happened to a Juno 2 I owned also. Although I've had good luck repairing other keybeds, I was unable to the the Juno 2 working properly and Roland could not supply parts.

Synthaholick

Post by Synthaholick » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:43 pm

One other thing to check on the Alpha Juno's and the MKS-50 (rack version of the AJ) is a noisy chorus. I have the MKS-50 and when a patch has the famous Roland chorus effect enabled you can hear a cycling noise , disable chorus and it goes away. Best to use headphones too listen for this not always obvious on monitors but will show up on a recording. I have not been able to isolate the cause or a fix. Others have reported this same issue. The alpha juno is a great value in todays market for a taste of analog. Great as a stand alone sound source or to add analog warmth and weight to anything else . I love using my MKS-50 with my TX-816

skweeegor

Post by skweeegor » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:03 pm

I don't think the noisy chorus is a defect.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Those so called 'membrane' buttons on the Alpha Juno (and JX-8P while we're at it) are not actual membrane buttons ala DX7 mk1. They are just normal tact switches covered in a the plastic finish film to give the 'DX7 like' appearance but are actually just as reliable underneath as almost any old synth that uses the same switches. Even early 90s romplers with 'proper' switches often had those same tact switches at the end of their 'stalks'. Proper (crappy) membrane buttons are the type that your finger wears through and leaves a lack of contact in the stuck together 'layers' forming the switch. Buttons should be reliable, if they fail it's prob just a worn swith or dust same as any normal synth button (solder in a new switch, not like true membrane which is something else entirely, Roland used actual mechanical switches 'masked' to look like 'the future' (As envisaged in 1985) ;) )

As for the A-Juno sound, very nice for what it is... bigger sound than it looks like it should give. In some ways I prefer the versatility of my MKS-50 over my previous Juno 6 (but I grew bored of J6 anyway). layered/combo'd with JX-3P or SY77 (FM!) it works well.