Which MPC for a beginner?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Which MPC for a beginner?

Post by monolith » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:26 am

Any MPC users here?

My girlfriend wants to get an MPC, but hasn't had much experience in using one. (neither have I)

The options are a 1000, 2500, or 2000xl.

What would be the best for a first time MPC user? Easiest to learn?
The 1000 and 2000xl are about the same price and the 2000xl has - a zip drive, a compact flash drive and a cd drive
- 2 (1 gig) cards full of samples
- a bunch of zip disks with heaps of samples

The 2500 is a few hundred dollars more.

Thanks for any info.

alspacka

Re: Which MPC for a beginner?

Post by alspacka » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:29 am

I would say the 1000.

computron
Band: Computron

Post by computron » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:35 am

out of the three you mentioned hands down the 1000 ! :D but just use the regular OS.I many times went changing the OS on a 1000 I keet going back to the regular one .The chop shop feature in the JJ OS was neat but bugs were all over the place
Last edited by computron on Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Living the Electro Life

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:54 am

computron wrote:out of the three you mentioned hands down the 1000 ! :D but just use the regular OS.I many times went changing the OS on a 1000 I had only to keep going back to the regular one.The chop shop feature in the JJ OS was neat but bugs were all over the place
Interesting, We've been reading on the MPC forums and everyone their seems to swear by the JJ0S. The 2500 appears to be easier to use in a way because of some of the chop features that it has. The individual outs seem handy too.

What in your opinion makes the 1000 better than the 2500?

computron

Post by computron » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:27 am

monolith wrote:
computron wrote: What in your opinion makes the 1000 better than the 2500?

the price for what they both do and sampling time.The 1000 with chip has more sampling time then the 2000 series the 2000 2000xl 2500 .You dont need to add anything in but samples 1000 and its all good to go.I got two of them when I upgrade im going all the way to a 4000 (if sampling time is what i want) it has more sampling time then the 5000 ,But the 5000 has the dope synth and insane effects.Idealy when i upgrade i would like both a 4000 for live preforming use and a 5000 for home.Very expensive dreams. For someone new to a mpc i could not sugguest better then the 1000
Last edited by computron on Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Living the Electro Life

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:38 am

the 500 & 1000 are both pretty easy to jump in & mess w/, but the OS's file structure is awkward. more or less like windows, burying things instead of keeping things simple & organized.

i'd ask what she's hoping to do with it, & how she'd prefer to go about it... having had both of those, i'd take any korg ES over any MPC in a heartbeat. simplicity of the 16 step sequencer instead of the realtime programming is a massive difference, not to mention comparing their built in effects.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:33 am

computron wrote:
monolith wrote:What in your opinion makes the 1000 better than the 2500?
the price for what they both do and sampling time.The 1000 with chip has more sampling time then the 2000 series the 2000 2000xl 2500 .
That's wrong, the 2500 is the same as the 1000 except has a few added features. They even use the same RAM module. 2000 and 2000XL are not like the 2500 at all.

I used to own a 1000 and I think for the couple of hundred bucks more the 2500 is worth it. It's pretty much the same as the 1000 if you use JJ but the extra sliders, outputs and bigger pads are an improvement.

computron

Post by computron » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:34 am

space6oy wrote:the 500 & 1000 are both pretty easy to jump in & mess w/, but the OS's file structure is awkward. more or less like windows, burying things instead of keeping things simple & organized.

i'd ask what she's hoping to do with it, & how she'd prefer to go about it... having had both of those, i'd take any korg ES over any MPC in a heartbeat. simplicity of the 16 step sequencer instead of the realtime programming is a massive difference, not to mention comparing their built in effects.

I totaly agree the OS is awkward and indeed many windows.There is a learning curve with all mpcs's.I have known many a person buy a mpc and never fiqure out how to use it and it sit and collect dust.Once you actually learn its like riding a bike.I agree you should know what she hopes to do with it ..For me personaly the korg es would not suit my needs like the mpc does.The korg es has great effects but if I had a es I would just finalize what I was working on with in my mpc anyway.I will add the the rolls and chop edits on a mpc can not be touched by the es in any way.It all depends on what you want it for.Get a mpc it want want to sample and seq and layout finished tracks and have the time to learn it.Get a es if you want a instant fun sampler seq with good effects
The es is more fun then a mpc but a mpc is far far more rewarding.
Stab Frenzy wrote:
computron wrote:
monolith wrote:What in your opinion makes the 1000 better than the 2500?
the price for what they both do and sampling time.The 1000 with chip has more sampling time then the 2000 series the 2000 2000xl 2500 .
That's wrong, the 2500 is the same as the 1000 except has a few added features. They even use the same RAM module. 2000 and 2000XL are not like the 2500 at all.

I used to own a 1000 and I think for the couple of hundred bucks more the 2500 is worth it. It's pretty much the same as the 1000 if you use JJ but the extra sliders, outputs and bigger pads are an improvement.
He is right and I stand corrected on the 2500 they are the same sample time.The 2000 and 2000lx do have less are nothing like the 1000 or 2500 in what they do.
Last edited by computron on Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Living the Electro Life

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:53 am

space6oy wrote:
i'd ask what she's hoping to do with it, & how she'd prefer to go about it...

She's wanting to make complete tracks on the MPC - cutting and pasting samples (mostly of synth/guitar/clarinet/banjo parts she has played) and making songs.
From our understanding, the MPC would be ideal for this? especially if you dont want to go software, correct?

a question about MPC's - can you have it so a sampled loop - say, a 2 bar synth 'riff' - sets the tempo of the track, so you can then layer parts over said loop?
Or does it not, and is this where things like timestretching come in to it?

You cant do that on an ES-1 in my experience...

She's going to meet up with a guy in her audio class next week who has an MPC, he's going to give her a basic tutorial and get a vibe for it, and work it if the MPC is for her.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:21 pm

monolith wrote: a question about MPC's - can you have it so a sampled loop - say, a 2 bar synth 'riff' - sets the tempo of the track, so you can then layer parts over said loop?
No. You'd have to trigger the sampled loop on beat 1 of the pattern, then tap tempo to match, then adjust by hand to make it loop properly. At least that's how I had to do it on my MPC1000.

I think the Boss SP series can do this though. Have you looked at the 404 or 303? The 202 is too limited in it's use, no resampling and no sequencing. I also think I remember the SP-808 being marketed towards that use case, but you'd have to look it up. And they're cheap as dirt.

Ableton Live could do that in a jiffy, as well ;)

If you go with the MPC1000, if I were you I'd at least upgrade to the latest free JJOS. There were no new bugs in there that I found, it had some very nice new features (simple step sequencer in the free version - sorely missed in the official version), and most importantly the free JJOS fixes bugs present in the last akai OS version where your project would eventually get corrupted and be unloadable. JJOS1 (paid) also was very stable in my opinion although I didn't use too many of the new features.

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:35 pm

Thanks for all the info guys.
My lady has been offered a really good price on the 2000xl, and it also has the IB-M208 - 8 parallel output and digital I/O board and EB16 - Multi-effects processor board, as well as the stuff mentioned in the first post.

From a purely 'Ease of Use' perspective, does the 2000xl outshine the 2500?

computron

Post by computron » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:22 pm

monolith wrote: From a purely 'Ease of Use' perspective, does the 2000xl outshine the 2500?

Not realy they both work very different.I liked the 2000xl's effects very very dope.For sure get the xl if your going for a 2000. I wanted one right after I got my 1000 for thoses effects but in the end my two 1000's worked out for me for what I needed .Im not done the mpc's by any means but the 5000 upgrade is too high for me at the momment.
Living the Electro Life