Which Akai MPC

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
chowning87

Which Akai MPC

Post by chowning87 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:07 pm

I'm interested in buying an Akai MPC. I'm thinking I should get the 1000 as it can take wav files and it has modern features such as a USB port. Does it have editing software for a computer?

It seems to me that this is a series that suffers from overinflated prices in classified ads. I might be wrong though. How much should I fork out for one.

I look forward to your replies.

druzz
Band: November's Ego

Re: Which Akai MPC

Post by druzz » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:10 pm

my bandmate got his mpc 1000 between 600-700$ . i think its a fair price

Em Pe Ge
Gear: Akai MPC1000, Moog Slim Phatty, Roland Alpha Juno 1, Animoog (via iRig midi), Ableton Live, Reason.

Post by Em Pe Ge » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:20 pm

i got my 1000 for $150.... which was one of the greatest days of my life.

don't expect to find a deal like that though, that was once in a life time.

I'd agree with around the $600 range, totally worth every penny.

just grab the ram for it off ebay for $20...

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:25 pm

Well a two second visit to their sites FAQ reveals:

Can I edit the sounds of my MPC1000 on a computer?
Yes. Samples are standard WAV files and can be edited and processed in any sample editing software.

Programs can also be edited offline on a computer using 3rd party Program editor freeware such as "MPC1000 Program Creator" for Windows XP/2k and "MPC Pad 187" for Mac OS X.

Sounds (programs/samples) and sequences can be transferred between the MPC1000 and the computer either via USB or via a Compact Flash card.

So there is no VST-like soft editor that mimics the hardware. Looks like simple drag and drop and Program (samples-on-pads) librarian.

Mostly, the debate centers around the older vinatge units...

The venerable 2000XL, the new 1000 and 2500.
The 500 is considered a little too toylike and the 5000 is overkill.

They cost a fair amount new and used MPCs hold their value.
This question plaques so many and everyone seems to want to bump up a notch on second thought and so they are selling their recent purchases. That's why they are so popular and yet have so many for sale. A user JUST BOUGHT their 500 or 1000 and want the 2500 etc...so they are treating it like it's brand new (which it practically is) and so the prices are very close to retail.

Here's an MPC site where they compare units
http://www.mpc-forums.com/viewforum.php?f=24

And you can read the review on each unit with more comparisons.
http://www.mpc-tutor.com/article/7/mpc1 ... 08-review/
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

druzz

Post by druzz » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:33 am

yeah ! all the wanabe hip-hop pruducers buy an mpc thinking its the magic solution for dope beats and then realise they cant operate it. then they sell it . so yeah you can believe them when they say its brand new!

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:47 pm

the mpc1000 is really a great drum machine, i'd say its much more of a drum machine than it is a hardcore sampler as it doesnt offer much for really really mangling your samples (even with the JJOS). The biggest downside of this being that the FX are global (thus you cant save them per kit/patch/whatever)

the interface might be a bit daunting at first, but after 10 minutes I had it all figured out, and was making phat beatz like a f**k champ.

with that said, if I didn't have battery I'd have another mpc1000. I got mine for $550.
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

Murderhausen
Gear: Anyone want a Polivoks?

Post by Murderhausen » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:07 pm

The 1000 is a really good place to start. It's compact and simple, but can be given greater depth with the JJOS. If you want a real sample mangler, the MPC4000 is the best in the series. The 4000 is HUGE, though.
Voyager XL*LittlePhatty*ElektronTrinity*ProOne*Mono/Poly*NordLead2X/3*Juno106*JX3P*JX10*JP8000*VirusKB*Blofeld*Ion*OctaveKitten*Polivoks*MS2000*AN1X*AlphaJuno1/2*ESQ1*SVC350*MG1*CS15*DX7II*etc...

druzz

Post by druzz » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:47 am

i am starting to think i should replace my ESX with an mpc1000. i am currently using the roland mc-50 to drive the ESX . i prefer a linear sequencer, i tend to turn in circle endlessly on pattern based one'S .

could the mpc1000 also replace my mc-50! this migth be a good move for me. it has better pads than the electribes but maybe less sample editing possibilities ?? the mpc sequencer seems at least as complete as the mc-50. it seems easier to manage mpc samples than electribe samples on the computer. and most of all the drum \ samler would be intergrated in the sequencer this will probably save place and be more ergomoic. but will this compromise the efficiency of a dedicated sequencer like the mc-50 ?

anyway i could have a mpc500 for 300$ or a brand new one in box with a 128 card for 340 but i fear the 500 wont be enougth to replace my current combo. i know i can find a 1000 for between 500- 600 hundreds and its an affoardable safe shot . this will compete well with what i have.

but what about the 2500 how much for that used ? i dont see them often on the second hand maket.

i have an opportunity to get an mpc4000 for around 1000$$ . what about this one ? is that a good options. and is that a fair price.

and finally the mpc 2500xl . heard a lot about it. looks like a classic but is it as practical then the new ones.

this tread is generating a lot of questionings in my mind .

can you assign multiple samples on a pad that respond to different velocity levels on the MPC's.

Murderhausen
Gear: Anyone want a Polivoks?

Post by Murderhausen » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:16 am

druzz wrote:i am starting to think i should replace my ESX with an mpc1000. i am currently using the roland mc-50 to drive the ESX . i prefer a linear sequencer, i tend to turn in circle endlessly on pattern based one'S .

could the mpc1000 also replace my mc-50! this migth be a good move for me. it has better pads than the electribes but maybe less sample editing possibilities ?? the mpc sequencer seems at least as complete as the mc-50. it seems easier to manage mpc samples than electribe samples on the computer. and most of all the drum \ samler would be intergrated in the sequencer this will probably save place and be more ergomoic. but will this compromise the efficiency of a dedicated sequencer like the mc-50 ?

anyway i could have a mpc500 for 300$ or a brand new one in box with a 128 card for 340 but i fear the 500 wont be enougth to replace my current combo. i know i can find a 1000 for between 500- 600 hundreds and its an affoardable safe shot . this will compete well with what i have.

but what about the 2500 how much for that used ? i dont see them often on the second hand maket.

i have an opportunity to get an mpc4000 for around 1000$$ . what about this one ? is that a good options. and is that a fair price.

and finally the mpc 2500xl . heard a lot about it. looks like a classic but is it as practical then the new ones.

this tread is generating a lot of questionings in my mind .

can you assign multiple samples on a pad that respond to different velocity levels on the MPC's.
I use and endorse the MPC 4000, but wouldn't prefer to use it live because of its size. The 1000 will probably be loads more satisfying than the 500, and at a minimal extra cost.

The MPC series is as much a sequencer as it is a sampler. I'm not familiar with the Roland you mentioned (and was too lazy to look it up), but can tell you that the MPC can stand up to the best of them, though lacks a grid style method of programming should you require one.

The 4000 allows velocty layering in addition to layering of different samples. $1000 is a good price for a 4000, and an even better one if it has options like the 8 output expander. Look up the specs and start drooling over what the 4000 can do. Also check out www.mpc-forums.com for additional info.
Voyager XL*LittlePhatty*ElektronTrinity*ProOne*Mono/Poly*NordLead2X/3*Juno106*JX3P*JX10*JP8000*VirusKB*Blofeld*Ion*OctaveKitten*Polivoks*MS2000*AN1X*AlphaJuno1/2*ESQ1*SVC350*MG1*CS15*DX7II*etc...

druzz

Post by druzz » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:56 pm

i was back in the mpc hunt this week . had to choose between . mpc 1000 450$ and mpc 2500 with hard drive 750$

i just had my buddy at the pawn shop keep the mpc 1000 for me . turns out it has 128mb ram installed and a 4 g flash card. now i just have to check that the pads are ok . i managed to take the price down to 420$ tax included . cant wait to have it home :)

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:21 pm

If the MPC1000 is Blue/Burnt Red, it probably doesn't have the upgraded pads, which are hard to come by at the moment. Apparently, Akai hasn't produced a run for some time. Most of the later "Black" models have the corrected pads. I have one for sale if interested:
http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... =9&t=60394