Dave Smith Poly Evolver

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
krispy

Dave Smith Poly Evolver

Post by krispy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:07 pm

Hi I'm new to this board and over the last couple of weeks I've found reading the posts very useful! I would like to know people's opinion on the DS poly evolver. I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to warm analog sounds etc and am wondering what is new on the market and a real good investment. This synth seems to get a lot of praise for having the best of both worlds (analog/digital), as does the prophet 08. What are people's opinions? Any other suggestions welcome :)
Thanks in advance!

K

Yatmandu
Gear: reverse

Re: Dave Smith Poly Evolver

Post by Yatmandu » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:41 pm

The PEK is capable of both warm analogue sounds as well as very harsh digital sounding modulated (evolving) sounds. It's not the first synth that comes to mind for your typical smooth analogue sounds though, and a lot of people are disappointed by that but there's a huge sonic palette to be found in this synth. You certainly have to be careful not to overdrive/clip the digital side of things (which is very easy to do with all the feedback, gains, delays, bit crushing options) unless you're in an industrial band...then don't worry about it too much.

p.s......and welcome to VSE!

krispy

Post by krispy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:14 pm

Thanks for the info on the poly evolver Yatmandu.
Just out of curiosity what synths do come to mind for typical smooth analogue sounds (preferably new on the market)? Would be interested to hear a few suggestions...

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:10 pm

Depends on if you want poly analog. The new SEM is as smooth and organic you can get, along with the AS Telemark.

The PEK is definitely a synth you go to get analog vibe. Lots of analog power in there. Depends on how perceptive you are to really raw analog like Macbeth stuff, because the PEK can do a great job at providing you with unique analog sounds. I enjoy it because it's a hybrid and can achieve what other synths can't. It's a lot of fun to edit and play. It might not be for everyone, but it's a very special synth and works really well, especially for adding flare.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:35 am

as always I'm suggesting the andromeda :)

bsh

Post by bsh » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:02 am

If you don't use the extra digital oscillators and signal processing, it's more or less a prophet 8 with half the voices. Yes, a few minor differences, but no warmer or more analog sounding and made from mostly the same parts. So unless you really need 8 voices, you get a lot more functionality. I found the prophet 8 sort of boring for this reason.

But if you're a warm analog purist, unless you have a modern analog synth sound in mind, you need to buy an old synth. Newer analog synths sound good, but you will not be able to make an A6 sound like a memorymoog no matter how much you mess with it, or a p8 sound like a p5, or anything else. It will sound like itself, like it for what it is or don't buy it.

My biggest mistake in buying analog synths has been to buy something I'm not in love with sound-wise because it has a big list of features. Now, if I don't like the sound of the most boring patch I can make, I generally pass on the synth, and make a lot more music.
MidiMini, MacBeth M5, Synthesizers.com 44 space, MV-8000, VP-9000, RE-201. Arp Solina, Rhodes Chroma Polaris, Prophet 600, ARP 2600, Prophet 5.

prophei

Post by prophei » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:14 am

i have both the andromeda and the poly evolver keyboard... and love both. as has been stated, the digital and weirder options on the PEK give it that spice that really makes it a wild synth. on top of that, and to me personally, the sequencer is what really brings this synth into a league of its own... especially with those synthesis options and the way you can automate them in the sequencer. especially with the more non-traditional triggering options. truly brilliant.

if you are looking for a modern synth that is just analog and huge... with no BS for getting too tweaky... I would have a hard time recommending anything other than the andromeda. that synth is an unbelievable monster. the endless power, the beautiful filters and overall quality of this synth are remarkable. i think you can get 10x the sounds out of this than any sort of prophet, old or new. at least in the analog domain.

they are both top of their class to me. not that it ultimately matters, but i have owned, and still own a lot of older vintage stuff... and stand by my statements about those two.
andromeda > polyevolver keyboard > ms-20 > oberheim two voice > arp 2600 > minimoog > custom modular system > polivoks > roland SVC-350 > jomox mbase01 > sh2 > acidlab > tr-808 > drumtrax > korg dvp-1 > protools hd3 > mac dual 2.0 G5

m127
Band: m127

Post by m127 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:05 am

Nice to find a PEK and Andromeda user. I am one too. First post on VSE btw.
Just wondering if you have ever tried to pass the A6's signal through the Curtis filters of the PEK... :!: :idea: ;)

Cheers
prophei wrote:i have both the andromeda and the poly evolver keyboard... and love both. as has been stated, the digital and weirder options on the PEK give it that spice that really makes it a wild synth. on top of that, and to me personally, the sequencer is what really brings this synth into a league of its own... especially with those synthesis options and the way you can automate them in the sequencer. especially with the more non-traditional triggering options. truly brilliant.

if you are looking for a modern synth that is just analog and huge... with no BS for getting too tweaky... I would have a hard time recommending anything other than the andromeda. that synth is an unbelievable monster. the endless power, the beautiful filters and overall quality of this synth are remarkable. i think you can get 10x the sounds out of this than any sort of prophet, old or new. at least in the analog domain.

they are both top of their class to me. not that it ultimately matters, but i have owned, and still own a lot of older vintage stuff... and stand by my statements about those two.
we know who's in and who's not

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:04 pm

bsh wrote:If you don't use the extra digital oscillators and signal processing, it's more or less a prophet 8 with half the voices. Yes, a few minor differences, but no warmer or more analog sounding and made from mostly the same parts.
Yup. I will say that PE needs a bit of coaxing to sound vintagey. There's the Oscillator Slop function to make the DCOs sound more like VCOs but it's not as strong as on the Prophet and Tetra. But add a bit of LFO for just a hint of warble and you're good to go.

But...
krispy wrote:I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to warm analog sounds etc

K
In that case you might be happier with the Prophet with its all-analog signal path and additional voices. No need to pay for wavetables, digital effects, wacked out sequencing, and a board full of knobs if you're not going to use them.

TheKeytarist

Post by TheKeytarist » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:52 pm

A true, warm, analog, vintage option would be something like a roland juno or an akai ax-60. Pretty much any 1980's analog Polysynth; 4-8 voices, oberhiem, you get the idea.
"A learned blockhead is a greater blockhead than an ignorant one."
— Benjamin Franklin

:keys1: :drums: :keys2: