These are the possible choices, in no particular order:
- DSI Mopho - I heard lots of positive reviews regarding its bass abilities, but somehow the samples never really impressed me. Maybe I never found a sample of the bass sound I have in my mind (this actually refers to maybe all these synths btw)
- Waldorf pulse - ditto as above, lots of people swear by its basses, but the samples never really hit me.. well, maybe a little more than the mopho, but its filter seemed to me too much polite
- Spectral Audio Neptune - in mp3 it sounded even shrill sometimes, but I heard some bass drums made with it which sounded great, so probably it would work for me more than the others
- SE ATC1 - ok, this one impressed me a little more than the neptune, especially with the 303 filter card, but I read some so-so reviews regarding the raw sound of its oscillator. Even the interface bugs more than the waldorf or the mopho, but in the end the old moog source was the same, and now we have midi + controllers, so programming the ATC1 should not be such a problem
- Doepfer Dark Energy - another one which somehow impressed me, even if it could be a bit limited with only one osc. But in the samples it sounded quite good, and the possibilty of starting a modular from it really appeal me
So what do you guys think? I desperately need opinions from people who owns/have owned some of them.. Should I buy one of these, or should I go vintage instead and get a ms10 or a mc-202 or....
Thanks, and sorry for the super long post