Best Analog Modeling Sytnesizer On The Market

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
galonso57

Best Analog Modeling Sytnesizer On The Market

Post by galonso57 » Thu May 06, 2010 3:26 pm

I have a Roland SH-201 but I feel I can do better any one with suggestions please let me know. Thank you.

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Re: Best Analog Modeling Sytnesizer On The Market

Post by krzeppa » Thu May 06, 2010 4:25 pm

The question is very broad. It would be easier to narrow it down if you specified what kind of music you are trying to create.
Not knowing what kind of music you are making makes suggestions difficult, but I will give you some of my favorites:

Access Virus TI (or even the older virus models)
Roland JP-8000
Novation K Station, KS4 or KS5
Waldorf Q
Nord Lead

a little on the cheaper side:
Alesis Micron
Novation XioSynth

It really depends on what particular sound you are going for. Each type of Synth has it own particular sound and flavor. I myself really like the Novation sound along the Virus for totally different reasons, but that is just personal preference.
I suppose you could go test some of these out yourself or listen to samples on youtube to get idea of what exactly you want to do. Good Luck! :)
Last edited by krzeppa on Thu May 06, 2010 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Thu May 06, 2010 4:32 pm

galonso57 wrote:Best Analog Modeling Sytnesizer On The Market
:lol: that is WAY too broad of a question, and one which everyone will rightfully have a different answer to. ought to give some description of what you're hoping to do w/ the synth, what kind of music, things like that.

edit: unless i guess if you're asking which is the most successful at emulating a real analog...

galonso57

Post by galonso57 » Thu May 06, 2010 5:07 pm

Okay I am sorry I did not mean to be so broad. I would say I am looking for Rick Wright type of sound from Wish You Were Here and Animals. The sounds he has those albums are amazing!

space6oy

Post by space6oy » Thu May 06, 2010 5:10 pm

no worries, that'll definitely help people give you some suggestions.

galonso57

Post by galonso57 » Thu May 06, 2010 5:13 pm

Do you have any? I have heard great things about the Nord Lead.

memory cords

Post by memory cords » Thu May 06, 2010 5:36 pm

galonso57 wrote:Okay I am sorry I did not mean to be so broad. I would say I am looking for Rick Wright type of sound from Wish You Were Here and Animals. The sounds he has those albums are amazing!
If you want to emulate Rick Wright's sound I suggest you get a Kurzweil. That is what he used on the final Pink Floyd tour to replicate all his analog synth sounds. He also used Kurzweil synths on the recent tours with David Gilmour.

The new Kurzweil PC3x is an amazing synth, it's expensive but it is a complete solution - realistic organs, grand pianos, virtual analog, sequencer and effects all in one synth.

None of the other synths mentioned above can create the tonal variety that Rick Wright used... the only solutions are the Kurzweil and maybe the Nord Wave (not the Nord Lead). Rick Wright's sound was about piano, rhodes and organ combined with synths... not just synths.

If you don't believe me then check Rick Wright's gear lists in any music magazine... he always used Kurzweil on his later tours.
Last edited by memory cords on Thu May 06, 2010 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

space6oy

Post by space6oy » Thu May 06, 2010 5:37 pm

not really, only VA's i've had are micron & ion. prefer real analogs, though i'm guilty of messing w/ softsynths of late. enjoy pink floyd but have never been an enthusiast - am sure plenty of others on here are & will have better recommendations than i would. if you're using audio software that incorporates vst plugins though, check out the TAL U-NO-60 & 62. pretty sweet juno emulators.

steveman

Post by steveman » Thu May 06, 2010 5:39 pm

Pretty sure it's Minomoog on WYWH, I've got those sounds on a Creamware Minimax. Excellent Minimoog emulator if you can find one.

You might be interested in this BTW: http://sparebricks.fika.org/sbzine28/features.html

galonso57

Post by galonso57 » Thu May 06, 2010 5:46 pm

memory cords wrote:
galonso57 wrote:Okay I am sorry I did not mean to be so broad. I would say I am looking for Rick Wright type of sound from Wish You Were Here and Animals. The sounds he has those albums are amazing!
If you want to emulate Rick Wright's sound I suggest you get a Kurzweil. That is what he used on the final Pink Floyd tour to replicate all his analog synth sounds. He also used Kurzweil synths on the recent tours with David Gilmour.

The new Kurzweil PC3x is an amazing synth, it's expensive but it is a complete solution - realistic organs, grand pianos, virtual analog, sequencer and effects all in one synth.
Great thanks! Okay I just got a Mac laptop what about going with MIDI using software like Native Instruments? My band is going through some down time so I trying to improve my sound while we are. I also have Yamaha Motif XS6 but honestly I am not thrilled with it.

memory cords

Post by memory cords » Thu May 06, 2010 5:56 pm

galonso57 wrote:
memory cords wrote:

Great thanks! Okay I just got a Mac laptop what about going with MIDI using software like Native Instruments? My band is going through some down time so I trying to improve my sound while we are. I also have Yamaha Motif XS6 but honestly I am not thrilled with it.
Well the Kurzweil has a full built in sequencer and the effects are extensive so you probably won't need a laptop if you learn how to use all the functions in the Kurzweil. Be aware that with Kurzweil stuff you really need to study the manual because there are so many functions, it takes a while to learn how to use it's full potential. The concept is similar to the Yamaha Motif - an intergrated sequencer/synth with effects but the Kurzweil is in a different league hence the high cost. It's not a semi-pro/prosumer keyboard it's the real deal. It's what Rick Wright would be using if he was alive today, I have no doubt.

I am a huge Pink Floyd fan, I know their music inside out. I have a Roland JP8000, Alesis Ion and some Waldorf synths - I love them but they can't create Rick Wright's sound. When I want to play Pink Floyd style stuff I use my Kurzweil 2500 and it sounds EXACTLY like Rick Wright. The new Kurzweil PC3x is a more advanced version of the one I have and the one Rick Wright used (a K2000 I believe). Only problem is the price and the steep learning curve.
Last edited by memory cords on Thu May 06, 2010 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu May 06, 2010 5:57 pm

galonso57 wrote: I also have Yamaha Motif XS6 but honestly I am not thrilled with it.
Check this out, it will certainly cover the Rick Wright sounds.

I have the ES version (same samples) and it's really sweet for less than $50.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

galonso57

Post by galonso57 » Thu May 06, 2010 6:01 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
galonso57 wrote: I also have Yamaha Motif XS6 but honestly I am not thrilled with it.
Check this out, it will certainly cover the Rick Wright sounds.

I have the ES version (same samples) and it's really sweet for less than $50.
So I just download the sounds and load them up in my board. They appear to be MP3 files is that correct?

galonso57

Post by galonso57 » Thu May 06, 2010 6:12 pm

memory cords wrote:Well the Kurzweil has a full built in sequencer and the effects are extensive so you probably won't need a laptop if you learn how to use all the functions in the Kurzweil. Be aware that with Kurzweil stuff you really need to study the manual because there are so many functions, it takes a while to learn how to use it's full potential. The concept is similar to the Yamaha Motif - an intergrated sequencer/synth with effects but the Kurzweil is in a different league hence the high cost. It's not a semi-pro/prosumer keyboard it's the real deal. It's what Rick Wright would be using if he was alive today, I have no doubt.

I am a huge Pink Floyd fan, I know their music inside out. I have a Roland JP8000, Alesis Ion and some Waldorf synths - I love them but they can't create Rick Wright's sound. When I want to play Pink Floyd style stuff I use my Kurzweil 2500 and it sounds EXACTLY like Rick Wright. The new Kurzweil PC3x is a more advanced version of the one I have and the one Rick Wright used (a K2000 I believe). Only problem is the price and the steep learning curve.
Okay great! I am trying to sell my Motif if I can do that I will be getting the PC3 61. Still I would need a companion board I always use two synthesizers I have to in our band. Does it make sense to go Midi on the second one and then use my laptop? I just know Native Instruments has some awesome sounds. By the way do you know any companies that build custom keyboard stands? Thanks for your help!

memory cords

Post by memory cords » Thu May 06, 2010 6:31 pm

galonso57 wrote:Okay great! I am trying to sell my Motif if I can do that I will be getting the PC3 61. Still I would need a companion board I always use two synthesizers I have to in our band. Does it make sense to go Midi on the second one and then use my laptop? I just know Native Instruments has some awesome sounds. By the way do you know any companies that build custom keyboard stands? Thanks for your help!
Well if you have to use 2 keyboards then I would use the Kurzweil for organs/pianos/synth pads and use the SH-201 for synth leads/synth effects... I would store the midi sequences in the Kurzweil's internal sequencer. The keyboard on the Kurzweil can be split into zones - for example you can play organ on the lower ocatves and piano on the upper octaves at the same time.

If you still want to use Native Instruments you could use either the SH-201 or the Kurzweil as a master controller easily.

Sorry I don't know where to get custom-built keyboard stands. Hopefully another member can help you out with that.
Last edited by memory cords on Thu May 06, 2010 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.