Should I Buy an Alesis Micron???

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
dancetopherdance
Gear: alesis micron

new synth owner!

Post by dancetopherdance » Fri May 07, 2010 5:22 am

ive been researching a synth to get for a while now and i have become interested in the alesis micron. is there anything i should know about synth's in general or the alesis micron? any terms i should be familiar with?
thank you for your time

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Re: new synth owner!

Post by Hybrid88 » Fri May 07, 2010 9:07 am

Hi, wecome to the forum! :D

Well I don't want to influence your decision but you may find quite a steep learning curve with the Micron regarding editing the sounds via its menu based interface.

Have you looked into the Korg MicroKorg? I think this would be a much better starting synth, it still has some menu's but I find it to have a better laid out interface, just my 2¢.

Other than that, try downloading the manual from the Alesis site and see what you think.

Also if you're new to synths and synth programming in general, you'd do well to research "subtractive synthesis" tutorials etc, to get a good basic understanding of the actual synthesis method used in most synths.

http://www.tweakheadz.com/programmer.html - Check this out, a good overall guide ;)

Old Iron Giant
Gear: Virus Ti2, Indig2, EmuXL7, Microkorg.
Band: KHz+

Post by Old Iron Giant » Fri May 07, 2010 10:58 am

stay in the $400-$500 price range, and find yourself a Alesis ION.
same internals as the Micron. The Alesis ION would be a great /FirstTime/ synth with graphic display, and full hands-on control.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Fri May 07, 2010 8:09 pm

! Message from: cornutt
Moved to Buyer's Guide.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

colorbars
Gear: Juno-60, ESQ-1, Mopho, Micron, Poly 61, MS2000R, DX-7, DX-21, M-VS1, ES-1 mkII, Monotron, ESI32, TR-505, EA-1

Post by colorbars » Sun May 09, 2010 6:26 pm

Micron's are great, but it depends what you want out of it. I bought mine as mine third synth after my ESQ-1 and my MS2000. If you're wanting something you can pull out of the box and start making some cool sounds within a matter of minutes it's perfect but if you're more interested in programming your own sounds i'd go with something like the ion or a korg ms2000 where all your controls are physically layed out for you on the synth itself.

Also a micron can be picked up for around $200-$250 used so you should just get one anyways ;)

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Re: Should I Buy an Alesis Micron???

Post by space6oy » Mon May 10, 2010 12:45 am

bit of a broad question, ought to provide some further details on what you're looking for / wanting to do with it.

Old Iron Giant

Post by Old Iron Giant » Mon May 10, 2010 1:54 am

I would say a great First-Keyboard would be something durable, easy to use, and sounds great- Also easy on the wallet.
The Alesis Micro is a step in the right direction, but I would suggest the ION over the Micron.

both synths are identical, except the ION is more user friendly. ;)
all of the parameters are controlled with buttons and knobs, instead of scrambling through a menu system like the Micron.

Ion

micron

dancetopherdance

Post by dancetopherdance » Mon May 10, 2010 2:54 am

thanks that helps. i will look into the ion too.
also do you know any dvd that would be good to help me out with a new synth or is the manual pretty helpfull enough?

gordwiebe
Gear: motif ES rack +cards, alesis fusion, E-MU PX7 + cards, siel MONO

Post by gordwiebe » Mon May 10, 2010 3:41 am

I'm not really a fan of the ion/micron, but don't let people scare you away from the micron.
Yes, it has very few knobs - but the menu system is very well implemented. Plus it has more internal fx and a handy little multitrack sequencer/drum machine.
Also, I seem to remember ALOT of people having output problems with the ion.
Even better than the micron would be the Akai Miniak though - exact same engine/display/interface as the micron (akai merged with alesis) but has a better keybed and an included gooseneck mic.

dancetopherdance

Post by dancetopherdance » Mon May 10, 2010 3:54 am

oh okay ill check that keyboard out too.
i probably sound uninformed but what is an internal fx?

Old Iron Giant

Post by Old Iron Giant » Mon May 10, 2010 5:17 am

gordwiebe wrote: Also, I seem to remember ALOT of people having output problems with the ion.
Even better than the micron would be the Akai Miniak though.
Micron, ION, and Miniak, all share the same internal boards & parts.
your liable to have the same issues with the Iak, and Micron as you would with the ION.
The problem is to do with faulty components prone to go out when hit with static.
-note: to prevent the jFET's from going out, never plug hot audio lines in the main outs.
mute, or turn off your mixer before hooking cables up.. ect ect.. says this in the manual too.

49keys & full knob parameter control vs. Midi sequencing & few more FX's. *shrugs* its all matter of opinion.

either way, the Micron, ION, Iak are great First synth. each are priced cheap enough not to break the bank if you find out later "Keys are just not your thing".

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon May 10, 2010 5:26 am

The Micron and Ion aren't quite the same... the Ion lacks the pattern sequencer and drum sequencer of the micron/miniAK, iirc.

Old Iron Giant

Post by Old Iron Giant » Mon May 10, 2010 5:37 am

Ashe37 wrote:The Micron and Ion aren't quite the same... the Ion lacks the pattern sequencer and drum sequencer of the micron/miniAK, iirc.
i've repaired both microns & IONs, suffering with the same j111FET problems. parts looked identical to me "shrugs", and both are prone to the same problems.

lobuz

Post by lobuz » Mon May 10, 2010 8:15 am

hi everyone!

Don't want to start a new topic, so i'll but in here :P
I'm also preparing to buy first synth, and my question is: Is Micron (or ION/MicroKorg/other low price but good synth) good to produce G-Funk kind of sound?
I'm still learnig about synths and stuff so excuse me if this is a noob question ;)

Thanks!

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon May 10, 2010 11:01 am

Old Iron Giant wrote:
Ashe37 wrote:The Micron and Ion aren't quite the same... the Ion lacks the pattern sequencer and drum sequencer of the micron/miniAK, iirc.
i've repaired both microns & IONs, suffering with the same j111FET problems. parts looked identical to me "shrugs", and both are prone to the same problems.
Ok, that means the *hardware* is the same... now, if these were analog synths, we could stand around and say that makes them 'the same'.

But they aren't. Big difference in the *software*.