Should I Buy an Alesis Micron???

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
computron
Band: Computron

Re: Should I Buy an Alesis Micron???

Post by computron » Mon May 10, 2010 11:54 am

lobuz wrote:hi everyone!

Don't want to start a new topic, so i'll but in here :P
I'm also preparing to buy first synth, and my question is: Is Micron (or ION/MicroKorg/other low price but good synth) good to produce G-Funk kind of sound?
I'm still learnig about synths and stuff so excuse me if this is a noob question ;)

Thanks!
the micokorg classic over the micron.You will learn alot more about making with your first synth with a micro korg.With time you will be able to produce a good g funksound with the micro korg classic .Its the exzact same synth engine as in the ms2000 with the only difference being the ms2000 has a mod sequencer but the microkorg has a better arp.The ms2000 and the microkorg classic have the exzact same sounds.If you dont like the microkorg the r3 is a good low prce synth as well.I would stay away from the microns but thats just my personal taste.
Living the Electro Life

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon May 10, 2010 1:45 pm

Old Iron Giant wrote:-note: to prevent the jFET's from going out, never plug hot audio lines in the main outs.
mute, or turn off your mixer before hooking cables up.. ect ect.. says this in the manual too.
They say that in the manual so that you don't blow your speakers, it's got nothing to do with the JFET problem. Mixer on or off doesn't change the electrical characteristics of the lead you're plugging in to the output of a synth, don't know what you think you're talking about by calling them 'hot'.
Old Iron Giant wrote:
Ashe37 wrote:The Micron and Ion aren't quite the same... the Ion lacks the pattern sequencer and drum sequencer of the micron/miniAK, iirc.
i've repaired both microns & IONs, suffering with the same j111FET problems. parts looked identical to me "shrugs", and both are prone to the same problems.
The same parts are used but arranged differently and in different quantities. The Micron has one more of the DSP chips (1 per voice) to handle FX. The PCBs are quite different.

dancetopherdance
Gear: alesis micron

Post by dancetopherdance » Tue May 11, 2010 3:24 am

what are DSP chips and FX????

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue May 11, 2010 5:58 am

dancetopherdance wrote:what are DSP chips and FX????
Digital Signal Processing chips, they make the sounds. FX = effects.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Tue May 11, 2010 10:17 am

Oh FFS, I hardly think it matters to someone starting out what DSP the alesis gear uses... :lol:

Just go with what inspires you an suits your music, if it does, what more do you need to know?

In my experience it's easier to just try one in person, will save you hours in internet jibba jabba :mrgreen:

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Tue May 11, 2010 10:28 am

Yes, but some of us have weeks/months/years of experience with pieces of gear and are likely to have run into shortcomings that you won't in an hour at guitar center. Something is to be said for doing your homework before a purchase.

dancetopherdance
Gear: alesis micron

Post by dancetopherdance » Wed May 12, 2010 4:26 am

i think i like the micron the best as of right now and the price is decent and affordable.
last question since i just saw the word. what does DSP mean? sorry for the questions

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Wed May 12, 2010 5:04 am

dancetopherdance wrote:last question since i just saw the word. what does DSP mean? sorry for the questions

Stab answered this. See his last post in this thread.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed May 12, 2010 7:47 am

Hybrid88 wrote:Oh FFS, I hardly think it matters to someone starting out what DSP the alesis gear uses... :lol:
He asked, so people answered. Should we have just told him that it didn't matter and he should just go play with one in a shop?

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Wed May 12, 2010 9:23 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Hybrid88 wrote:Oh FFS, I hardly think it matters to someone starting out what DSP the alesis gear uses... :lol:
He asked, so people answered. Should we have just told him that it didn't matter and he should just go play with one in a shop?
Actually Stab he only asked cause you guys brought it up, I'm talking about relevance here, he just want's to know a bit more about what it's like to use. I mean come on it's his first synth, I think there's more important areas to focus on.

But please if you want to pointlessly confuse him further, do continue... ;)

cgren72

Post by cgren72 » Wed May 12, 2010 6:20 pm

Keep your horizons broad.. don't get attached to a synth you haven't been with for a long time. Buy and sell as much as needed because music stores dont have many options often. And remember, the instrument is just the tool used to produce the sound and feel that is made in your head.

Taxidermy
Gear: Little Fatty
Mopho
TX81z
Ion
Casio Rapman

Post by Taxidermy » Fri May 21, 2010 9:16 am

I am going to chime in here because I have noticed a lot of people suggesting the microkorg instead of the ion. This really seems to be another kind of mac vs pc or coke vs pepsi debate. Do some research and listen to a lot of demos. Something about the microkorg sound really bugged me, but some people love it to death. I bought one, and didn't really suffer the buyers remorse until I got another couple synth's to compare it to. I wasn't satisfied until I had sold it.

Don't choose one or the other because of forum suggestions, visit youtube, find some high quality demos online, go to your music store and try them both out, and make sure you know which you want before deciding which to buy.

PS- regardless of which you choose, try to get their bigger versions. The learning curve will be much less steep without the matrix interface.

RD9

Post by RD9 » Fri May 21, 2010 5:00 pm

The jfet problem sounds scary, but I'm with Old Iron Giant and agree that something like the Ion might be better. The Micron's interface is condensed into a fewer set of controls, which makes it harder to learn with as a first instrument (in theory). This is the same problem I ran into getting my first synth -- the MicroKorg -- which prompted me to buy a Radias not long after I got it. I think it only took me about 2-4 weeks before I realized I wanted a bigger synth with a better interface.

In a sense, these small keyboards (Micron, MicroKorg, etc.) are good to get as first keyboards, because they will get you excited about synthesizers and are relatively cheaper. But you will quickly learn how much they suck as soon as you start learning the basics.

What I liked about the MicroKorg is that even if the interface sucks, it was nice that all the controls are labeled on the keyboard's interface, so I constantly had a reminder of all the things I had to learn, such as amps, filters, envelopes, etc. If I saw something that I didn't understand, I could look it up in the manual. The problem with the Micron is that has very few labels, so in this sense it's not as good as a learning tool because you can't quickly check to see what you don't know (it's all hidden in the menu screen).

That said, it's nice that the keys on the Micron are bigger. The MicroKorg keys are tiny which is a big issue. So even if you outgrow the Micron in terms of its features, you can still use it as a controller (if the jfet problem hasn't killed yet). The MicroKorg on the other hand is not a good controller because of the key size problem.

madrasputin
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Too many to list. Ask if you want a list of my gear to peruse.
Band: Narcotic Puppeteers

Post by madrasputin » Fri May 21, 2010 5:51 pm

Eh, micron. Not a huge fan and I own one. However, someone else already brought up two synths that are better starters imo as well. R3 and the MS200 by Korg. I LOVE my microkorg but as someone else already pointed out it's keys are uber small so that does kinda suck. Other than that, you might want to look at Korg's Poly 800 or 800 2. Pretty simple synths and very affordable as well as vintage. Oh, and the miniak, yeah don't bother with that one either imo. Definitely check out the Korgs that i and others have mentioned. i think you'll dig one of them at least!

Taxidermy
Gear: Little Fatty
Mopho
TX81z
Ion
Casio Rapman

Post by Taxidermy » Sat May 22, 2010 8:17 am

Another suggestion I could make would be the novation x-station. It will keep you within your budget, its a fantastic starter synth, it has a nice keyboard, and it kind of acts as a studio swiss army knife, giving you an audio interface and midi router on top of a decent sounding synthesizer.