I'm new to the forum :)

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member
Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Re: I'm new to the forum :)

Post by rharris07 » Mon May 24, 2010 1:53 pm

I would suggest getting a Dave Smith Evolver desktop module used (probably can find one between $250 and $375), then get a 25 key MIDI controller - I picked up an Axiom 25 for about $40 at a pawn shop, and its in like-new shape!

I'm seeking out an Evolver key edition, but overall the key or the desktop can create some of the weirdest sounds I've heard.

If you're looking for noise generators, you could go with some of this guy's creations at Punk Synth.com. I've picked up four of his units, and they've been a h**l of a lot of fun. Here are videos of a few of the units in action.

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Mon May 24, 2010 2:08 pm

get a Juno 6.

At the sub-500 range nothing else will put as big a smile on your face.

other synths can do more, but none will sound as sweet and pretty
i've been through 50+ synths and wasted too much money on the cheap ones paying for pointless "bang-for-buck" ...tempted by features....when it's really the sound you have to live with at the end of the day.
anything else in the sub-500 range will be a pain in the a*s to program (or be a monosynth)
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Villi
Gear: Yamaha RS7000 & DX200, Quasimidi Sirius, Casio CZ5000

Post by Villi » Mon May 24, 2010 2:34 pm

Yamaha An1x might also a good choice, although the interface isn't as knobby as the MS2000.

The novation X-station is also a full featured midi controller and includes an audio interface, if that's something you need...

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Mon May 24, 2010 8:26 pm

I bought a Novation Xio 25 brand new for $250, and really like it. I'm sure you could find that cheaper used somewhere though. I believe Novation has a really unique sound and either like it or you don't. I personally love the sound. You may also want to look into a K-Station or X-Station.
I like the Waldorf Micro Q too. It is another relatively inexpensive synth.
Also, like it has been mentioned before, the Roland JP-8000 is great synth. It has tons of knobs and sliders so your possibilities are endless.
I think youtube is the place to go to listen to samples and demos of what things can do. That way you can hear the possiblities, or limitations, of a each synth.

Drea_Dee

Post by Drea_Dee » Tue May 25, 2010 11:40 pm

Well I met someone on craigslist that had a roland xp10 only to find out that it didn't have a sequencer which I feel like is something that I really need..do you think I made the right decision? I played it and it had some pretty cool sounds but it just didn't have the kick that I was looking for and just didn't seem like it had alot of options..what do you guys think?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed May 26, 2010 3:58 am

The XP-10 is no good for learning how to program your own sounds at all. It's a really cut down ROMpler, buying it would have been a mistake.

Have a look at the ones that have been suggested here. You ideally want something that's got a lot of knobs on it, this means that you'll be able to change different parts of the sound easily without knowing exactly what each parameter does which will help you learn how to program your own unique sounds.

Drea_Dee

Post by Drea_Dee » Wed May 26, 2010 2:51 pm

I'm glad then! I was waiting for someone to be like "Oh my god your an idiot!' but at least I'm learning something :) everyone on here has such great insight and is so knowledgeable its kind of intimidating! but I feel so much more confident now I know what I'll be doing all summer who needs friends when you have a synthesizer? hopefully I'll have it within the next couple weeks and I'll keep everyone updated :) thank you guys so much your the best and I looked at all the ones everyone talked about its so cool to learn about the differences and all the different types! I never knew there were so many! thank you again

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Thu May 27, 2010 2:35 am

Drea_Dee wrote:who needs friends when you have a synthesizer?
*touches your forehead* Damn...it's all downhill from here.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

Electroluver
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MS-20, M-500, Polysix, PAiA 4700, ROL309, C64 MSSIAH, JX8P, K2000J, SY-1010.
Band: DJ NAMELESS

Post by Electroluver » Fri May 28, 2010 5:14 pm

iProg wrote:Find a Juno 6/60/106 for $400 and get to know classic subtractive synthesis with a vintage sound.
^^Hi, how's it going?
I'm going to second this idea. I think the Juno 106 is a perfect learning synth.

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Fri May 28, 2010 6:49 pm

Is it still possible to get Junos for $400 or under? I've been seeing many especially 6s and 60s for $500-$700 recently.

Electroluver wrote:
iProg wrote:Find a Juno 6/60/106 for $400 and get to know classic subtractive synthesis with a vintage sound.
^^Hi, how's it going?
I'm going to second this idea. I think the Juno 106 is a perfect learning synth.