ETI/Maplin 4600 value

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Arddhu

ETI/Maplin 4600 value

Post by Arddhu » Tue May 25, 2010 6:07 am

I wonder if anyone has any idea on the actual value of these things?

I'm waiting to take mine into the local tech to have a look at it. After the last bloke who tried to help me, removed the PSU, pulled out a couple of IC's (I think) then left it in that state, I feel I've been left with a big chunk of pretty useless wood and metal. Very sexy wood and metal mind you but pretty useless nonetheless.

The thing seems to have been put together by a music store in the first place and the wiring looks all nicely done. It did make noises before old-matey removed the power supply but nothing predictable.

So the question is, would this thing have any value if I caught lazy and tried to palm it off on to an avid synth collector/repairer or would it be worth it to stick it out and try and get it repaired asap?

schmidtc

Re: ETI/Maplin 4600 value

Post by schmidtc » Tue May 25, 2010 7:54 pm

I don't think there's enough working models around to have a stable market value. I'd say a broken one is worth about $1K to a fellow like myself FWIW. Did you try Steve Jones repairs?

Arddhu

Post by Arddhu » Wed May 26, 2010 4:33 am

Thanks. No I haven't checked out Steve Jones yet. I'm going to see what these local blokes can do first as it's going to cost hundreds just to ship it up there from down here at the bottom of the world.

Cheers,

analoglsd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Buchla Music Easel, TE OP-1, Korg MS-20, Yamaha RS-7000, Effects Pedals

Post by analoglsd » Wed May 26, 2010 7:38 am

A working one sold for 1200 GBP about 2 months ago on eBay.
Looks like a pretty amazing synth, I had never heard of it before that auction.

Morticia

Post by Morticia » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:21 am

As at 2015, going rate around £4500 for a fully working version but could be higher. Truly amazing and gives an EMS a bloody nose in a head to head so seriously underrated.