Best synth you can buy for $500?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Re: Best synth you can buy for $500?

Post by balma » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:55 pm

with sequencer or no sequencer?

how much work are you gonna charge to it? need good poly, or mono is enough?

Please narrow your requirements. Under $500 is too vague if you really want a good advice...

the more you describe us what do you need, the better the recommendations
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

goober

Post by goober » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:04 am

Sequencer not necessary, want good poly, would like analog but it's not expected, or necessary, knobs+sliders would be nice as well. Prefer a lo-fi type of sound, dirty, and with character. Nothing that sounds too clean. Most importantly I'm looking for good value, thanks.

Right now, I'm looking around for ESQ-1s as they seem to be pretty nice.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:42 am

do i dare suggest the jx-8p again? yes. it's just good value for money! no knobs or sliders though. reviewing the an1x, the yamaha is hard to beat. what about alpha juno 1 or 2's or a jx-3p? cheap and dirty is their thing. you can get dx7s for pretty cheap too.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

goober

Post by goober » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:45 am

ninja6485 wrote:do i dare suggest the jx-8p again? yes. it's just good value for money! no knobs or sliders though. reviewing the an1x, the yamaha is hard to beat. what about alpha juno 1 or 2's or a jx-3p? cheap and dirty is their thing. you can get dx7s for pretty cheap too.
I had a Juno 2 with a PG-300 for a while, but got tired of it. Didn't really click with it.

Angstwulf

Post by Angstwulf » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:14 pm

goober wrote:Sequencer not necessary, want good poly, would like analog but it's not expected, or necessary, knobs+sliders would be nice as well. Prefer a lo-fi type of sound, dirty, and with character. Nothing that sounds too clean. Most importantly I'm looking for good value, thanks.

Right now, I'm looking around for ESQ-1s as they seem to be pretty nice.
Akai AX-60. Not "lo-fi" in the digital sense but certainly dirty and with character. All analog six voice poly with sliders instead of knobs. It is a single osc synth but you can stack all six voices into a thick monosynth voice. Doesn't have the same desireability factor as the Juno's so you can still get them for $300 or less if you're lucky.

computron
Band: Computron

Post by computron » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:49 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Blofeld and Virus A desktop also worth a look.

I totaly agree with the Virus A or B
Living the Electro Life

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:43 am

This is a bit of a leftfield suggestion but the E-Mu XL-7 would be worth consideration. No keyboard but they can be had for really cheap ($300), have heaps of waveforms, drums, great sounding filters and a sequencer. Can be dirty sounding if you want it to be, has a fair few knobs for tweaking sounds (and knob data can be recorded to the sequencer). The only thing with the Command Stations is that they're very deep machines with a great deal of parameters that can be edited and the two-line display isn't the best for that. But it's not any harder to edit than a Micron.