Good sequencer for a Vermona DRMI MkIII?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Dubersive

Good sequencer for a Vermona DRMI MkIII?

Post by Dubersive » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:18 pm

I'm saving up for a Vermona DRMI MkIII, simply because it seems to be the best analog drum machine that isn't vintage on the market right now, minus the fact that it lacks a sequencer.

So, naturally, I need a sequencer. I do have Reaktor, which comes with a few useful sequencing modules, but I prefer the hands-on approach to drum-programming.

What sequencer do you think would be best suited for the DRMI? I've been looking at the Doepfer MAQ16/3, but not only is it expensive, I don't think it would be able to sequence all of the DRMI's inputs - correct? Any alternatives to suggest?

*edit: I would also prefer whatever I buy to be able to effectively sequence the Perfourmer I recently bought as well. That might be asking a lot though. Right now, my priority is getting a proper sequencer for the DRMI, because I can sequence the Perfourmer sufficiently with software.
[ Cwejman S1 MK2 / Korg MS-20 / SQ-10 | TR-606 | Eurorack stuff ]

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: Good sequencer for a Vermona DRMI MkIII?

Post by Z » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:25 pm

I used a Roland TR-909's external instrument mode for this video:

I recommend an Analogue Solutions Europa as I used in this video with a Tama TS-305:

You'll also be able to sequence your PerFOURmer with the Europa.

Last summer, I attended Synthesizers.com's "Meeting of the Knobs" which was held here in Dallas and someone brought their Vermona rig (DRM1 & PerFOURmer) which was sequenced by a MAM-SQ-16. The background "music" for this video is from that rig:

Another person at that meet-up used a Korg Electribe to sequence his DRM1.

Dubersive

Post by Dubersive » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:33 pm

Z wrote:I used a Roland TR-909's external instrument mode for this video:

I recommend an Analogue Solutions Europa as I used in this video with a Tama TS-305:

You'll also be able to sequence your PerFOURmer with the Europa.
Hot damn. That is exactly what I was looking for...I'll that to my shopping list, thanks :mrgreen:

Off-topic, but were ever able to get your DRMI repaired?
Z wrote: Last summer, I attended Synthesizers.com's "Meeting of the Knobs" which was held here in Dallas and someone brought their Vermona rig (DRM1 & PerFOURmer) which was sequenced by a MAM-SQ-16. The background "music" for this video is from that rig:

Another person at that meet-up used a Korg Electribe to sequence his DRM1.
Glad to know that MAQ16/3 also fits the bill. The Europa looks a lot more user friendly though - how do the two compare to each other?

If anyone else has suggestions, I'm still listening!

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:54 pm

Dubersive wrote:
Off-topic, but were ever able to get your DRMI repaired?
Sent it back to seller. Last year, I bought a DRM1 mk2.
Glad to know that MAQ16/3 also fits the bill. The Europa looks a lot more user friendly though - how do the two compare to each other?
I actually own a Doepfer MAQ-16, but I've never used it. Those are really more designed for "modular synth sequences" a la Tangerine Dream. The Doepfer Schaltwerk is designed more for drum patterns. That's what NIN uses in studio with their DRM1.

The MAM SQ-16 was really difficult to program in my opinion. The Europa is a breaze to program, but the instrument tracks are monophonic. However, you can do polyphonic sequences by using multiple sequencer tracks.

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:05 pm

An electribe ES1/ER1/EM1 will work I think.. If you just want straight up 16th step sequencing only.. (although the 'roll' button does work for midi output, giving you double/triple/quadruple hits in a single 16th) the DRM1 doesnt accept anything more complex than note trigger messages does it?

schmidtc

Post by schmidtc » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:23 pm

cartesia wrote: the DRM1 doesnt accept anything more complex than note trigger messages does it?
It accepts velocity. You'd have to save, but the 909 driving a Vermona is endless fun and totally worth a summer mowing lawns or whatever IMHO. You can map the drums so that snare is snare etc. and the Vermona remembers so you set it once and forget about it. Having the tap write interface and accent controls is really really nice. The only bummer is having to stop the clock when you switch between internal and external sequencer write modes.

A 909 won't be very intuitive with the perfourmer though, and whatever keyboard with a sequencer you prefer would work. I've always preferred to keep drum and synth style sequencers separate, but everyone composes differently. The Cirklon is destined to become the ultimate drum sequencer when it's finally released.
Last edited by schmidtc on Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:26 pm

Anything Vermona, I would use Five-12's Numerology
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

schmidtc

Post by schmidtc » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:32 pm

wiss wrote:Anything Vermona, I would use Five-12's Numerology
would that be your perfourmer youtube demo wiss? ;)

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:41 pm

schmidtc wrote:
would that be your perfourmer youtube demo wiss? ;)
No, not my video.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

Dubersive

Post by Dubersive » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:39 pm

Z wrote: Sent it back to seller. Last year, I bought a DRM1 mk2.
I figured that's what ended up happening. Must've been a pain in the a*s. Good to know you got it all sorted out though :)
Z wrote: I actually own a Doepfer MAQ-16, but I've never used it. Those are really more designed for "modular synth sequences" a la Tangerine Dream. The Doepfer Schaltwerk is designed more for drum patterns. That's what NIN uses in studio with their DRM1.

The MAM SQ-16 was really difficult to program in my opinion. The Europa is a breaze to program, but the instrument tracks are monophonic. However, you can do polyphonic sequences by using multiple sequencer tracks.
I was afraid that would be the case. Just from looking at it, it looks very complicated to program. The Europa looks fun as h**l though. As long as I can get some decent polyphonic sequencing out of it, I think I would be very happy with it.
cartesia wrote:An electribe ES1/ER1/EM1 will work I think.. If you just want straight up 16th step sequencing only.. (although the 'roll' button does work for midi output, giving you double/triple/quadruple hits in a single 16th) the DRM1 doesnt accept anything more complex than note trigger messages does it?
I heard somewhere that they the Electribes are just monophonic for sequencing other synths and drum machines. I dunno. I need to look into how it compares to the Europa, feature-wise.
schmidtc wrote:
cartesia wrote: the DRM1 doesnt accept anything more complex than note trigger messages does it?
It accepts velocity. You'd have to save, but the 909 driving a Vermona is endless fun and totally worth a summer mowing lawns or whatever IMHO. You can map the drums so that snare is snare etc. and the Vermona remembers so you set it once and forget about it. Having the tap write interface and accent controls is really really nice. The only bummer is having to stop the clock when you switch between internal and external sequencer write modes.

A 909 won't be very intuitive with the perfourmer though, and whatever keyboard with a sequencer you prefer would work. I've always preferred to keep drum and synth style sequencers separate, but everyone composes differently. The Cirklon is destined to become the ultimate drum sequencer when it's finally released.
As much as I would like a TR-909, all of the eBay offerings in my area are outrageously overpriced. I'd rather get a sequencer that does just as much as the TR-909, without the hefty vintage price-tag. There has to be more options out there for that level of control.

I'll take a look at that Cirklon thing you mentioned.
Yea, I looked into that, having heard of it before. It looks pretty sweet. Too bad I don't have a Mac :(

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:31 pm

Dubersive wrote: I heard somewhere that they the Electribes are just monophonic for sequencing other synths and drum machines
true, but each track is assignable to a different note# or MIDI channel.
at least on the EMX and ESX they are.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:27 pm

You can change midi note numbers on the ER1 too

Dubersive

Post by Dubersive » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:30 am

shaft9000 wrote:
Dubersive wrote: I heard somewhere that they the Electribes are just monophonic for sequencing other synths and drum machines
true, but each track is assignable to a different note# or MIDI channel.
at least on the EMX and ESX they are.
jaypodesta wrote:You can change midi note numbers on the ER1 too
So, if I'm understanding you correctly, this means I can use an Electribe to play up to eight sequences or more at once? As in, have a sequence for each of the sounds (kick, snare, tom, etc.) like a x0x sequencer? Or is it just one 16 note track for all the sounds?

(sorry for the probably stupid question. Sequencing confuses me a little)

jeeroj
Gear: sh-101, x0xb0x(x2), tr-606, korg es-1, half dead mc-303 and some boss micro racks

Post by jeeroj » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:01 am

yup you can do that, I jam sometimes with a friend who has a DRM1 and he uses an ES-1 to sequence it. :D
Debut Album out now jeeroj - Selected Acid Works 08-11
check the review HERE first

Trom69

Post by Trom69 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:33 am

What about Roland TR-505 or TR-626?
Less than $100... easy to find...
Cracking softsynths for virtual circuit-bending