Synth Suggestions

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Synth Suggestions

Post by krzeppa » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:31 pm

So I have done some serious thinking over the last couple of weeks, and I feel that it may be time to get rid of my Nord Lead 2 along with my Micro Q (rack). Neither of them inspire me all that much to do anything creative anymore. I have been really into my Supernova II, Virus TI2, and Micron lately.
Basically, everything I've done with the Nord and Waldorf, I can now do with the Supernova and Virus.
If I decide to let the Nord and Waldorf go, what should I replace them with? I simply don't know where to begin looking. I've played around with Mopho, Kurzweil PC3LE7, and MicroKorg and X50; but I'm just not sure what I want to do. I'm afraid of buying something that is too much like something I already own, and that I will just want to sell it off again in a few months.
I really liked the Kurzweil PC3LE7's Strings and Pad, but I can pretty much get those sounds on my Fantom.
I always like the KS4, but I was wondering if that is too much like the Supernova II.
I also looked at the Radias, but that seems to get very mixed reviews.
Is the MS2000 going to be repetitive too?
I don't really care if it is VA or true Analog. I just want something that sounds good and isn't too much of a pain to work with. Also, I'm not looking for anything too old because I want to make sure if something breaks or acts funny that I can easily find a part to replace it.
Mind you....I'm really torn as whether to even part with either or both of these synths; but I just can't seem to justify keeping them. Maybe if you guys can help me find the right synth, I will have an easier time letting these two go. So PLEASE HELP ME....before I go crazy!!!! :shock:

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Re: Synth Suggestions

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:42 pm

What about an analog mono or something like the Evolver?
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by krzeppa » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:49 pm

I have thought about the MEK...I've never gotten my hands on one to try one though. It does intrigue me though. I've never owned a mono before. So I think that would take some getting used to, but I don't think it would be that much of a problem. What would you compare to the MEK in terms of sounds and usability?

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:09 pm

To me, the Evolver has a strong personality that won't really compared to anything else. It usually covered things that I wanted out of the MicrowaveXT. While clearly not a mono version of the original Microwave, but for my purpose and to compliment the XT, In terms of sounds I sometime like to think of it that way.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

CfNorENa
Gear: SEM | SH-2 | Prophet 5 | MKS-70 | Microwave XTk | Kronos || AD 202 | El Capistan | DP/4 | Eclipse | Rumour | PCM90

Post by CfNorENa » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:23 pm

krzeppa wrote:I'm afraid of buying something that is too much like something I already own, and that I will just want to sell it off again in a few months.
I think you should incorporate some honest-to-goodness analog into your setup. It really does sound different from the digital machines (which I also like, by the way!). Lots of options for new gear under $1K. In your boat, I might take a long look at the Mopho keyboard or the new Oberheim SEM.

RD9

Post by RD9 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:37 pm

CfNorENa wrote:
krzeppa wrote:I'm afraid of buying something that is too much like something I already own, and that I will just want to sell it off again in a few months.
I think you should incorporate some honest-to-goodness analog into your setup. It really does sound different from the digital machines (which I also like, by the way!). Lots of options for new gear under $1K. In your boat, I might take a long look at the Mopho keyboard or the new Oberheim SEM.
+1 for trying analog. I'm going through some tough times with my Radias right now, a year into owning it. I'm getting some help from other VSE members on this other thread.

I also have the MEK. The analog-digital hybrid is definitely a unique thing. I bought it used and kind of blindly and there were quite a few things that surprised me when I got it, like the various waveforms on the digital oscillators (so many that I wish I had a graphic chart/reference), also the distortion effects, as well as the mono-stereo L+R channel routing options. I'm not a big fan of the interface at all since you're completely reliant on the little screen for feedback, but the synth really sounds nice. Really meaty and thick. I have yet to fully immerse myself in it though. Oh and it doesn't seem to have a patch init (or I haven't found it yet), but that's one thing I wish it had.

I'm not really sure what I would recommend, but all I can say is that between my VAs and my analogs, I have learned so much about synths making sounds just by hearing how different a Radias sounds compared to an MS20 compared to an MEK. Or a MicroKorg compared to an Polysix. Whatever you get, I think it should be as different as possible from what you have now. Not that you have to learn or anything, but it might just be good to expand your repertiore in a completely opposite direction.

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by krzeppa » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:19 am

@RD9...I've seen you talk about the Radias on a lot of different threads, and that is one of the reasons I hesitate to get one (even with thre recent price drop).

It seems like everyone love the MEK. I really wish I could get around to trying one out. I'm starting to wonder if analog is the way to go and what is out there that might fit in well with what I currently have...any other suggestions?

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Post by Sir Nose » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:48 am

Check out a Moog Little Phatty if your considering an analog mono.
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

aeon

Post by aeon » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:12 am

Dont limit yourself to another synth - consider getting some quality effects - some good rack units can be had for little coin, and there are always analog pedals to consider.

I base that on your sig - you have a lot of synthesis, but little in the way of processing.

cheers,
Ian

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:09 am

RD9 wrote:I also have the MEK. The analog-digital hybrid is definitely a unique thing. I bought it used and kind of blindly and there were quite a few things that surprised me when I got it, like the various waveforms on the digital oscillators (so many that I wish I had a graphic chart/reference), also the distortion effects, as well as the mono-stereo L+R channel routing options. I'm not a big fan of the interface at all since you're completely reliant on the little screen for feedback, but the synth really sounds nice. Really meaty and thick. I have yet to fully immerse myself in it though. Oh and it doesn't seem to have a patch init (or I haven't found it yet), but that's one thing I wish it had.
You mean these?

http://carbon111.com/evowaves1.png
http://carbon111.com/evowaves2.png
http://carbon111.com/evowaves3.png
http://carbon111.com/evowaves4.png

You should also go to Carbon11's website and download (and read!) Anu Kirk's guide to the Evolver.

No wonder you're having difficulty with your Radias, you think about buying new things before you figure out how the old ones work.

krzeppa: I wouldn't worry about buying another synth, you have heaps already. Like Ian said look into creative use of effects with what you already have. Having more gear causes you to spend less time with each piece and you end up not getting all the possibilities a synth is capable of.

I'd encourage you to hold off and learn to get deep with what you've already got. If anything's too much of a pain to do deep tweaking on (you don't like the OS etc) then get rid of it. My 2c anyway.

RD9

Post by RD9 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:00 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
RD9 wrote:I also have the MEK. The analog-digital hybrid is definitely a unique thing. I bought it used and kind of blindly and there were quite a few things that surprised me when I got it, like the various waveforms on the digital oscillators (so many that I wish I had a graphic chart/reference), also the distortion effects, as well as the mono-stereo L+R channel routing options. I'm not a big fan of the interface at all since you're completely reliant on the little screen for feedback, but the synth really sounds nice. Really meaty and thick. I have yet to fully immerse myself in it though. Oh and it doesn't seem to have a patch init (or I haven't found it yet), but that's one thing I wish it had.
You mean these?

http://carbon111.com/evowaves1.png
http://carbon111.com/evowaves2.png
http://carbon111.com/evowaves3.png
http://carbon111.com/evowaves4.png

You should also go to Carbon11's website and download (and read!) Anu Kirk's guide to the Evolver.

No wonder you're having difficulty with your Radias, you think about buying new things before you figure out how the old ones work.
Hahaha No, I got additional synths for different parts/voices, but more importantly to learn the differences between synths and improve my toolkit. It's quite impossible to learn about anything if you own only one synth. I constantly jump back and forth from synth to synth to compare and see what the shortcomings are of any particular synth. That's the only way to know. You should try a Radias and you'll see immediately what I'm talking about. Even all the EQs and all the stupid overdrive c**p it comes with will only get you so far.

By the way, you know you should try not to be condescending and make me look like some kind of idiot who just keeps buying stuff for no reason. God knows I try to find every nook and cranny to study from and learn each knob and button. It just takes time to learn everything. You pick at one feature at a time and get to know it. Besides, you can't possibly learn one synth in and out overnight. And only hearing one synth will severely limit your awareness of what's possible with synths.

I already saw those waveforms and linked to them before if you care to do a search for "carbon111 rd9". But they're not official releases by DSI as far as I thought and what I meant by wishing for a reference was an official DSI reference. I've downloaded those images and had them for a while now, but I'm not even sure if the carbon111 images exactly match with the MEK library.

People have to chill out. I don't understand why are people so angry and bitter and think everyone they come across is a complete retard. And you're a moderator too...

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:44 pm

Just trying to help you out dude.

Speaking of which, the topic of this thread is helping someone decide what or if they should get to add to their setup.

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by krzeppa » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:44 pm

aeon wrote:Dont limit yourself to another synth - consider getting some quality effects - some good rack units can be had for little coin, and there are always analog pedals to consider.

I base that on your sig - you have a lot of synthesis, but little in the way of processing.

cheers,
Ian
I've been considering some effects and pedals, but I just don't know where to begin there. As for the synths, I know that I probably don't need another one. I can do pretty much what I need to do with what I have. I was just looking to get my hands my hands on something completely different from what I already have. I guess that is why the more I think about it, trying something analog sounds more and more enticing.

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:26 pm

kzreppa, what do you currently have, in terms of effects, aside from the internal effects on your synths?
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by krzeppa » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:35 pm

braincandy wrote:kzreppa, what do you currently have, in terms of effects, aside from the internal effects on your synths?
Right now, besides the internal effects, I basically just use the plug-ins in Logic Pro 7...I use the Chorus, Reverb(Space Designer), Delay, etc..(basically I've used almost all the plug-ins at one time or another)...they have seemed to do an alright job for now, but I know there has got to be better stuff out there.