Got about 2K$ to spend? DnB, Dubstep & Illbient Downtempo

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Afamily
Gear: Virus TI, SE1x (Angel Dust) and a Silver Laptop with an Apple on it.
Band: TIPOL

Got about 2K$ to spend? DnB, Dubstep & Illbient Downtempo

Post by Afamily » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:28 am

My goal is live pa style performance. But also record my own stuff.

I'm going to be shipping overseas for a year, and I have all the gear mentioned below which I want to dive deeper into for my illbient downtempo, dnb and dubstep creations. I'm really not thinking I need anything instruments, but perhaps you may be able to suggest something I could switch out or buy instead, i.e. Virus, Monomachine, Nord Mod G1, etc, I'm wondering if perhaps I should upgrade my interface? Get a preamp? Or perhaps get an 808. For some reason an 808 just sticks out in my head I want one for the workflow of the sequence.

Anyways, I got about 2k$ to spend, and perhaps could maybe dive into credit if I had some must buy situation, but I really don't see the need. I'm just looking for advice of perhaps what I could use to enhance my experience in creation and production or perhaps something i should upgrade. I do appreciate any and all help!!!

mentioned in another post i have as follows-

Studio Electronics SE1x (Angel Dust)

MPC 1000

Quasimidi Polymorph

Waldorf XT

Oberheim M1k (x2 in grouped mode)

Emx

SidStation

MicroKorg

Effects--

Electro Harmonix Cathedral Reverb

Aphex Aural Exciter w big bottom 204

Waldorf MiniWorks (x2)

Studio ---

Dynaudio BM5A

Tannoy TS10

MOTU Ultralite mk3 and MOTU MicroLite usb (I wouldn't mind trying out the Ensemble based on reviews, but I enjoy the portablity and kind of need that w/ the Ultralite at this time, until i return to the US in a year)

Macbook pro

Ableton live 7

alesis multimix 8 usb for summing
A dark pool of ambient sound from which I scoop up globs and sculpt it on the rough cement slab in my mind, floating on an irridescent cube. This is my mind.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Got about 2K$ to spend? DnB, Dubstep & Illbient Downtemp

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:53 am

I wouldn't buy anything if I was in your situation. Save it for a rainy day/something awesome that hasn't been announced yet.

Afamily

Post by Afamily » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:13 am

The above reply is also an option which I've also considered and probably will do. I was just checking in with the Explorers since shipping to Bahrain, will be difficult if I find I need something. Thanks Stabz!
A dark pool of ambient sound from which I scoop up globs and sculpt it on the rough cement slab in my mind, floating on an irridescent cube. This is my mind.

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:07 pm

If you're going to be working live, you might want a good mixer with sends/etc. (and some more varied effects to put on)

Besides that, I'd say try to come up with a list and cut out everything that you dont *need*, because carrying that much gear around is going to be a pain!

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:33 pm

for a noob I'd recommend a MPC1000/2500 with the JJOSXL upgrade as a master workstation with something like a Nord Lead or Monomachine and a Kaoss Pad 3

however right now I'm I'm thinking the Radikal Spectralis could possible the ultimate live dubstep machine but its not for the novice

Afamily

Post by Afamily » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:41 pm

cartesia wrote:If you're going to be working live, you might want a good mixer with sends/etc. (and some more varied effects to put on)

Besides that, I'd say try to come up with a list and cut out everything that you dont *need*, because carrying that much gear around is going to be a pain!

That's actually great info. I just have an assortment of gear that I keep at home, and am just trying to find a good combo for the road. I don't really forsee myself using all the gear on the road. I just like to have a palette to choose from.

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:22 am

Yeah... Try and do some mock-llive sets at home - dont worry about actually preparing songs, just get something rolling quickly - I found after Id bought a whole bunch of gear (thinking I would mostly play live) I realised that I hadn't bought things that i would actually find myself using in a live setup - it was more like a 'jamming' studio set up.

dzlvs8
Gear: Tons and tons of ridiculously expensive keyboards.

Post by dzlvs8 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:50 am

I think you should buy my Sequential Circuits Pro One for sale on ebay. I offer international shipping and it would instantly blow your entire $2000!!!! How simple is that!??!! Its got everything, badazz synth, arpeggiator, looper, etc. Its all you need. And you DO need it.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:59 am

dzlvs8 wrote:I think you should buy my Sequential Circuits Pro One for sale on ebay. I offer international shipping and it would instantly blow your entire $2000!!!! How simple is that!??!! Its got everything, badazz synth, arpeggiator, looper, etc. Its all you need. And you DO need it.
You sir, are and idiot.

dzlvs8

Post by dzlvs8 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:50 pm

[/quote]
You sir, are and idiot.[/quote]

You can't form complete sentences. :o

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:09 pm

rule #1 of internet forums:

dont antagonize the moderators.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:57 pm

:lol: Woosh, that went right over your head didn't it?

dzlvs8

Post by dzlvs8 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:04 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote::lol: Woosh, that went right over your head didn't it?
Ha! YEP. Didnt notice you were a moderator. You don't usually expect moderators to be trolling the forums flaming people that are helping out the original poster by giving a true suggestion in a comical manner. But seriously my synth is a good all around synth that does a lot and is worth at least half of the price that people are paying for them on ebay!

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:12 am

If you want to sell your synth then start a thread in gear for sale. If I see you trying to pitch it in another thread you're getting a week long ban. Particularly if it's a six month old thread.

dzlvs8

Post by dzlvs8 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:21 am

Its on ebay and I dont even have a link to it posted here or anything. So I'm not trying to sell MY Pro One on here. I am just advertising the synth and JOKINGLY mentioning that he should get mine.

How do you think that stating that I am selling it for twice as much as it is worth in features translates into me advertising my synth for sale here.

But anyway, good job at tearing down another thread. Thats two threads that you have devloved into garbage today. Being as confrontational as you are really makes it hard to form a discussion with other or enjoy talking about synths on here.