Tips plz

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
aux
Gear: Korg PolySix
Korg MS10
Moog Rogue
Roland JX-3P/PG-200
Teisco 60F
Sequential Circuits DrumTraks
Yamaha DX11
Fender Telecaster
Fender Jazzbass

Tips plz

Post by aux » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:57 pm

I am looking for something as big sounding as an Oberheim OB-8 or OB-12, but not as expensive. The matrix-1000 is a nice example, but what other options are there?
-------

VSE member CfNorENa wrote on Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:27 am:

"I've come to the somewhat depressing conclusion that there is a very close correlation between bigness of sound and cost."

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Re: Tips plz

Post by rhino » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:52 am

Welcome to our crazy world.
Try out an old Roland JP-800. Yeh, it's digital, but with good programming it can sound massive. Sell for about $400-500.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

CfNorENa
Gear: SEM | SH-2 | Prophet 5 | MKS-70 | Microwave XTk | Kronos || AD 202 | El Capistan | DP/4 | Eclipse | Rumour | PCM90

Post by CfNorENa » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:27 am

I've come to the somewhat depressing conclusion that there is a very close correlation between bigness of sound and cost. Yes, there are some inexpensive alternatives to the big boys that will get you something similar or "in the ball park," but if you want that full, raw, HUGE and vintage OB sound, you're probably gonna have to pay for it. In other words, from what I can gather, the prices for those hall-of-fame analog polys are NOT just about vintage hype.

But perhaps I could just throw in the MKS-70 as a reasonably inexpensive way to get a pretty big sound. You've got 24 analog oscillators, after all. Yes, they're DCOs, but with the onboard chorus (and some fairly straightforward programming), you can get some huge, thick, warm sound from it. And from what I see on your gearlist, I think it would add something quite new to your sonic palette.

aux
Korg MS10
Moog Rogue
Roland JX-3P/PG-200
Teisco 60F
Yamaha DX11
Fender Telecaster
Fender Jazzbass

Post by aux » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:41 am

CfNorENa wrote:I've come to the somewhat depressing conclusion that there is a very close correlation between bigness of sound and cost.
Hahahaha, great signature! I'll quote you on that :)

The MKS-70 is an interesting tip, thnx. I'll dive into that. In the meantime I am bidding on 2 matrix-1000's to create one stereo unit.
-------

"I've come to the somewhat depressing conclusion that there is a very close correlation between bigness of sound and cost."

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:20 pm

Um, if it has mono output, there aren't going to be any stereo effects... let the stereo be in your fx chain instead.

CfNorENa
Gear: SEM | SH-2 | Prophet 5 | MKS-70 | Microwave XTk | Kronos || AD 202 | El Capistan | DP/4 | Eclipse | Rumour | PCM90

Post by CfNorENa » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:45 pm

Ashe37 wrote:Um, if it has mono output, there aren't going to be any stereo effects... let the stereo be in your fx chain instead.
Some guy on gearslutz claims that by panning one Matrix 1000 hard left, and another one hard right, and then detuning the voices by +/- 3, he gets a massive sound. Given how cheap they are, it might be worth a try...

aux
Korg MS10
Moog Rogue
Roland JX-3P/PG-200
Teisco 60F
Yamaha DX11
Fender Telecaster
Fender Jazzbass

Post by aux » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:51 pm

That's exactly the reason why I am looking for 2 matrix 1000's, I read it on another forum though :)

Seems logical, since a nice mixing trick I use to widen sounds is the stereo pitch shifter in Pro Tools HD and detune one side a few cents.
-------

druzz
Band: November's Ego

Post by druzz » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:46 pm

you know that on the matrix 6r you have two outputs and you can load two patchs with what they call the split section ! i'm pretty sure you could load two times the same sound send them trough the 2 outs then pan them in youre mixer or just use a stereo track .

aux
Korg MS10
Moog Rogue
Roland JX-3P/PG-200
Teisco 60F
Yamaha DX11
Fender Telecaster
Fender Jazzbass

Post by aux » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:54 pm

No, I didn't know that. Anyone here with a matrix 6R to confirm this?
-------

iv0luti0n
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Korg R3
Roland MKB-300
Oberheim Matrix-6R
Yamaha U3 Upright Piano
Band: Ivan & Friends

Post by iv0luti0n » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:28 am

I own a Matrix-6. AFAIK, you could split an identical patch over the keyboard and then route it through the outputs. I don't see why you couldn't try this method, although I haven't tried it myself.

As for the OP:

I have yet to hear a Oberheim OB-Xa or other well-known polysynth in person, so I don't know how the sound compares. The Matrix-6r is fat imo but this depends on your perspective. Some synths have a very "warm" sound that is not overbearing. I think the matrix is the opposite; the sound is big and demands attention, but not that warm. Definitely not subtle. The envelopes are quick, definitely not flabby; although the unison mode is useless because it doesn't fatten the sound at all. It kind of gives it a muffled, dense sound, sort of like a comb filter. The filter is poorly quantized; you can hear stepping. Oh and the Matrix-6r is bigger then you'd think; it takes up 3 rack spaces.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:59 am

aux wrote:
CfNorENa wrote:I've come to the somewhat depressing conclusion that there is a very close correlation between bigness of sound and cost.
Hahahaha, great signature! I'll quote you on that :)

The MKS-70 is an interesting tip, thnx. I'll dive into that. In the meantime I am bidding on 2 matrix-1000's to create one stereo unit.
You gentlemen have apparently never played a BitOne.
iv0luti0n wrote:I own a Matrix-6. AFAIK, you could split an identical patch over the keyboard and then route it through the outputs. I don't see why you couldn't try this method, although I haven't tried it myself.
You would split your polyphony in half, making it three notes.
bonne chance

aux
Korg MS10
Moog Rogue
Roland JX-3P/PG-200
Teisco 60F
Yamaha DX11
Fender Telecaster
Fender Jazzbass

Post by aux » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:25 am

No I haven't. Never crossed my mind since I've never seen them at any (online) marketplace. Interesting tip, thnx!
-------

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:43 pm

aux wrote:
No I haven't. Never crossed my mind since I've never seen them at any (online) marketplace. Interesting tip, thnx!
I personally think it can get pretty big and it has a real great Oberheim/SSM Prophet quality to it.
bonne chance

DX7Alex
Gear: Yamaha DX7iiFD
Ensoniq ASR-X
Hammond M-162 chop
Korg Monotron
Korg 01/W FD
Novation Xiosynth 49
Yamaha SY-77
Yamaha P-90

Post by DX7Alex » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:12 am

Ever considered an OB-SX?
"We beat this thing, we kicked it down, on the ground." Stevie Wonder on ARP 2600 repair techniques.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:31 am

CfNorENa wrote:
Ashe37 wrote:Um, if it has mono output, there aren't going to be any stereo effects... let the stereo be in your fx chain instead.
Some guy on gearslutz claims that by panning one Matrix 1000 hard left, and another one hard right, and then detuning the voices by +/- 3, he gets a massive sound. Given how cheap they are, it might be worth a try...
You don't need two of them though, just double track a single synth with slightly different settings. I do this all the time with synths and fx. You'll need to control the 1000 with midi anyway, so it shouldn't be any hard to do it with just one.