Just picked up an Ensoniq ESQ-1...

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
WhinyLittleRunt

Just picked up an Ensoniq ESQ-1...

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:44 am

Are these semi-decent as far as digital synths go?

I was practically given it for free (I threw the guy I got it from 60 bucks as a donation to one of his charities) but I'm typically not a fan of digital-anything related to keyboards. There is one cool patch that sounds just like a CP-70... Can I get patches for this online? Anyone love it/hate it?
I like vintage synths....

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Re: Just picked up an Ensoniq ESQ-1...

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:58 am

They are more than semi-decent as digital synths go, they are wholly decent as synths go in general. You should be happy, they are fantastic.
60 bucks? s**t, man, I'd pay a lot more than that to have an ESQ-1. As if the synthesizer aspect wasn't great enough, they have an absolutely fantastic sequencer.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:26 am

The ESQ-1 was the first synth I learned to really program and sequence with. It's pretty user-friendly for a synth without knobs/sliders. As far as the sounds go, well you have one right there, correct?

If you're looking for free sounds, your best bet is to join a Yahoo Group for ESQ-1 users. Those user groups normally have tons of free sounds.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

Elandroth
Gear: Nord Lead 2X, DSI MEK PE, Roland D-50/Juno-60/TR-707, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Casio CZ-5000, Elektron MD UW+

Post by Elandroth » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:34 am

Hey hey, I just got one today too! 150 USD for the synth, 2 ROM carts, 1 RAM cart, the manual, and a road case for it - couldn't pass it up!

I honestly wasn't really dying to have it, but I knew a local shop had it sittin there, so I went to try it out yesterday, and I was really impressed at how incredibly simple it was to program (unlike the D-50 or CZ-5000 digi's I have which are tedious), I mean I was diving right in and changing stuff up all over the place - I don't have much experience with a whole shitload of synths, but this literally blew me away at how simple editing was, not even looking at the manual, in 2 minutes of hands-on time. I've just been messin with it the past couple hours, and I'm very, very happy with my decision. Sounds fantastic, that analog filter really sets this worlds apart from the other 2 digitals I have. Plus once I got it home and did a bit of reading, I come to find out it's already got the 3.5 OS upgrade and the SQX-10 expansion. Icing on the cake.

All in all I'm incredibly impressed at it's entire package. The interface at first glance made me very skeptical about programming it, but once I fired it up, everything came into perspective. I like the data slider more than the way-more-common data wheels, seems like I can speedily dial in somethin faster than on everything I've ever touched that had a data wheel.

You got a great deal on it man, I think you'll be very pleased once you start playin with it. A lot of waveforms to choose from, some of em are questionable usefulness at best, but it seems to have a lot of versatility so far. Then again you have a couple pieces of gear that blow this thing out of the water - the closest I've had to some beef analog is my Juno (sounds great but reeeeeeally wish it wasn't 1 osc) - so the ESQ might not wow you as much.

EarthmanVIII

Post by EarthmanVIII » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:03 am

Congrats, its an amazing synth. The user interface is among the best in the digital world. The only drawback is the lack of aftertouch. Check out mik300's Vangelis covers and related stuff on Youtube.

WhinyLittleRunt

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:06 pm

Off Topic
Then again you have a couple pieces of gear that blow this thing out of the water - the closest I've had to some beef analog is my Juno (sounds great but reeeeeeally wish it wasn't 1 osc) - so the ESQ might not wow you as much.
Eh... I think it's cool to have a digital synth back in my rig! We have a ton of cool, high-end s**t in the project studio and I still think having the ESQ-1 is fun and brings back memories of my DX-7 :) Yeah, the OB-8 output sounds better but there are some definite usable sounds in the ESQ.

You wanna talk about something that didn't wow me? Alesis Andromeda. I took it home from the studio and have been trying to get into it, and I think it sounds like a digital VA. I know you can do a lot with it, but I'm just not overly impressed with the sound of it.
I like vintage synths....

desotoslo

Post by desotoslo » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:57 pm

ESQ-Wonder!

Dubersive

Post by Dubersive » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:16 pm

I might have the opportunity to pick one of these up for 300 euros (400 with a expansion cartridge for the sequencer that gives you two extra tracks, or at least thats what the ad says)

Up until now, I've been planning to buy the Novation Supernova II. Should I jump on this instead? Less expensive (and fewer voices), plus C64 chip-goodness!
[ Cwejman S1 MK2 / Korg MS-20 / SQ-10 | TR-606 | Eurorack stuff ]

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:41 pm

"Should I buy an ESQ-1/SQ-80", "Is it a good synth", "what is it good for?" have to be some of the most oft asked questions on here-search the site! :roll:
Do you even post on vse bro?

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:42 pm

And they're more applicable to Buyer's Guide.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

Dubersive

Post by Dubersive » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:49 pm

braincandy wrote:And they're more applicable to Buyer's Guide.
Sorry. Just did not see the need to create a new thread.
Sir Ruff wrote:"Should I buy an ESQ-1/SQ-80", "Is it a good synth", "what is it good for?" have to be some of the most oft asked questions on here-search the site! :roll:
And I was just asking if the ESQ-1 might be a good choice in comparison to the Supernova II. But I'll search too. There's no need to get testy.
[ Cwejman S1 MK2 / Korg MS-20 / SQ-10 | TR-606 | Eurorack stuff ]

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:50 am

Dubersive wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:"Should I buy an ESQ-1/SQ-80", "Is it a good synth", "what is it good for?" have to be some of the most oft asked questions on here-search the site! :roll:
And I was just asking if the ESQ-1 might be a good choice in comparison to the Supernova II. But I'll search too. There's no need to get testy.
sorry-it's just when you see the same threads pop up again and again, you lose a little patience! ;)
Do you even post on vse bro?

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:54 am

Dubersive wrote:
No worries. I should have moved the thread over to Buyer's Guide earlier because the questions are more applicable to Buyer's Guide since it's meant to elicit opinions on the ESQ-1.

Dano

Post by Dano » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:39 pm

WhinyLittleRunt wrote:Eh... I think it's cool to have a digital synth back in my rig! We have a ton of cool, high-end s**t in the project studio and I still think having the ESQ-1 is fun and brings back memories of my DX-7 :) Yeah, the OB-8 output sounds better but there are some definite usable sounds in the ESQ.

It's not all discreet analog as, for example, a Mini Moog but as dIgi-logs/hybrids go the ESQs not only have an analog filter but also analog envelopes IIRC - I don't think I've heard ESQs referred to as digital synths since they came out back when almost all synths had to be marketed like a DX7 in order to get any interest. ESQs are often mentioned in discussions of best values among vintage synths. I'd say you got a good deal!

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:37 pm

i love this synth. you got an amazing deal. i feel this is a really under-rated, under-valued piece.
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com