MoPho Keyboard VS ProOne; how badass is the Mopho?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

MoPho Keyboard VS ProOne; how badass is the Mopho?

Post by maindeglorie » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:05 am

I keep thinking about grabbing a Pro One as I love it's noisy, squawky Fad Gadget sound, and it's bass rules, but I keep hearing that the Mopho is actually very nice sounding. The demos I have heard do sound pretty good, but the sounds are not the kind I would make. I owned a Prophet 08 and hated the sound, but the audio I heard from the Mopho was a lot better in my opinion.

So... Mopho or Pro-One?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: MoPho Keyboard VS ProOne; how badass is the Mopho?

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:18 am

If you want a new synth with the bad-assery of the Pro One then you should be looking at the Future Retro XS.

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:05 pm

Used Mopho = $250. Used Pro-One = $800+ and no telling how long it will work. Pro-One sounds fantastic, 100% knobby and such. But...at $250 or thereabouts, the Mopho is an absolute steal. The filter isn't as distinct and you've got 8 knobs to work with, but it works, it's terribly portable, the modulation matrix contained inside offers much more flexibility, and I kinda like using it as a straight noise box without a keyboard. If you feel the need for more knobbiness try the Mopho Keyboard instead.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:44 pm

I've played the Mopho Keyboard in the store about a month ago. I will have to say that there is a lot of power in that thing. I was impressed by it. I too wanted a Pro One, but I couldn't bring myself to pay the crazy prices they are going for on ebay. Plus, it could die on me at moment. The Mopho module seems like a steal for the price. I don't know how they made something sound so good for such a small price. It also seems pretty sturdy and durable. That might not be the case with an old Pro One.
If I were you, I would go out and buy a used a Mopho. They are dirt cheap, and if for some reason you don't like it, you are only out a couple of hundred dollars, which is significantly less the Pro One.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:46 pm

maindeglorie wrote:I owned a Prophet 08 and hated the sound, but the audio I heard from the Mopho was a lot better in my opinion.
The Mopho has only 2 things the Prophet 08 does not: suboscillators and a feedback path into the filter. If you really hated the P08 I can't imagine you'd be any happier with a Mopho.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

N8-R

Post by N8-R » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:53 pm

The Mopho sounds great IMHO.

Yeah, if you take away the suboscillators and feedback, it's pretty much the same sound engine as the Prophet 08.

However, having had both (not at the same time, but close enough), I think the Mopho is able to achieve thicker and more "aggressive" sounds with those two little extras.

Also, my Mopho Keyboard feels better built and more solid than the P 08, especially in the knob department.

maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Post by maindeglorie » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:36 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:If you want a new synth with the bad-assery of the Pro One then you should be looking at the Future Retro XS.
I never even thought about the XS. I will now do some research!

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:12 am

Seconded on the XS, but if you want it to be as warm sounding as the Pro~One, the XS must use its lowpass filter(EQ the mids a bit) and don't use the distortion. Resonance is more liquidy than the Pro~One too! The highpass filter on the XS is pretty harsh. Nice to have that semi-modularity and knob per function though.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

memory cords

Post by memory cords » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:27 am

I think you can create sub-oscillators on the Prophet 08 by stacking voices and tuning one of the voices one octave lower than the other (you have 8 voices so that would reduce the polyphony to 4 notes - the same as the Tetra)... plus on the Prophet 08 you would have much more control of the lower-tuned oscillator than on the Mopho (Mopho's sub oscillator is quite limited, you have no control of it's parameters).

The Pro-One sounds much more alive and fluid than either the Mopho or the Prophet 08 in my opinion. But as was mentioned by others the Mopho keyboard is about half or one third of the price of a Pro-One. The Mopho/Prophet 08 has built-in MIDI and USB and software editors so it's also easier to integrate into a modern computer-based studio than a Pro-One.

paregorickid
Gear: Minimoog, EMS Putney, Prodigy, Dotcom and Eurorack Modular, Octave Cat, Pro One, Steiner EVI, Moogerfoogers, Space Echo, Logic Studio
Band: The Eyelash Carpets

Post by paregorickid » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:24 pm

I think sometimes it also comes down to how you work and what may be a better creative tool. I don't think there has been a better boing for the buck on the market than the mopho. I traded up to the tetra and love it, but i do like turning on the pro one and tweaking the arp, the sequencer and the filters at a touch. I have gotten so many ideas this way but I have yet to get a good creative working relationship with the tetra. so the tetra/mopho are both incredible flexible, solid and great sounding units and overall a better deal but the pro one offers i think somethink more useful for me.
Want to Buy: Synare-2, Macbeth M5 or a M5N

RD9

Post by RD9 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:58 pm

Has anyone seen any Mopho vs. Pro-One comparisons on YouTube like the Creamware one? Not that I'm saying that literal comparisons like these are always the best way to decide between two synths that are not meant to be identical anyway, but it does have some merits if one of them is clearly more "interesting".

If anything I would actually like to a hear a Mopho vs. a Future Retro XS to compare two modern day analog synths.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:37 am

RD9 wrote:Has anyone seen any Mopho vs. Pro-One comparisons on YouTube like the Creamware one? Not that I'm saying that literal comparisons like these are always the best way to decide between two synths that are not meant to be identical anyway, but it does have some merits if one of them is clearly more "interesting".

If anything I would actually like to a hear a Mopho vs. a Future Retro XS to compare two modern day analog synths.

Ugh, these old topics kept getting brought up! :?

Seriously, I could hear differences, but impressive. I LOVE that controller. Is that custom?? I NEED it. :D
bonne chance

RD9

Post by RD9 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:26 am

I think for comparisons between different synths like a Mopho vs. a Pro-One, you can still do a side by side video, but that the comparison should be approached in a different way. Instead of the Mopho trying to sound like a Pro-One, maybe it should be more like a *real* battle where each synth tries to outdo the other. That would be a much better "versus" video. The video above is ok of course, since the Creamware after all is an attempt to copy an older Prophet. But in this case, it can be more creative. Even if the Pro-One is older and has less features than the Mopho, I'm sure people can still come up with an interesting battle.

OntarioHydro
Band: {}[]<>[]{}

Post by OntarioHydro » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:30 pm

Synth battles yes! i have always been fond of this nerdy idea. Just get a live drummer or dj and the two competitors on each side of the stage.

I would do a couple battles. Any takers?

Mono/Poly vs. MS-20

Nordwave vs. V-synth

Mks-80 vs. JP 8

Korg Delta vs. ????

Test me bitches!!!

colorbars
Gear: Juno-60, ESQ-1, Mopho, Micron, Poly 61, MS2000R, DX-7, DX-21, M-VS1, ES-1 mkII, Monotron, ESI32, TR-505, EA-1

Post by colorbars » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:49 pm

I was reading an indepth review of the mopho a few weeks ago and it said that it actually has "Pro One II" printed on the circuit board... interesting.