MoPho Keyboard VS ProOne; how badass is the Mopho?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
RD9

Re: MoPho Keyboard VS ProOne; how badass is the Mopho?

Post by RD9 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:01 pm

colorbars wrote:I was reading an indepth review of the mopho a few weeks ago and it said that it actually has "Pro One II" printed on the circuit board... interesting.
I always question those comparisons... And this has probably been discussed several times before on this board... even if the architecture was the same, the actual components are different. So even if the features and signal flow were identical, that won't necessarily guarantee the sound will be similar. I've only tried a Mopho for a few minutes and I've never tried a Pro-One, but I would think that new components would be far more accurate and behave differently than stuff from 30 years ago. I think when they say it's a Pro-One II, it's just an approximation. Still worthy of a "vs." comparison, but not in the literal way.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:20 pm

I think being labeled "Pro~One II" pretty much solidifies its stance as a separate board and not a replication. Make your own judgments.
bonne chance

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:19 pm

colorbars wrote:I was reading an indepth review of the mopho a few weeks ago and it said that it actually has "Pro One II" printed on the circuit board... interesting.
Linky?

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:32 pm

sequentialsoftshock wrote:I think being labeled "Pro~One II" pretty much solidifies its stance as a separate board and not a replication. Make your own judgments.
I read it the opposite way, I think a "Pro One II" label implies DSI originally intended it to be something like a modern re-issue (if the source checks out). I'm more interested in a comparison now than when I thought they were unrelated products.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:44 pm

smoothcriminal wrote:
sequentialsoftshock wrote:I think being labeled "Pro~One II" pretty much solidifies its stance as a separate board and not a replication. Make your own judgments.
I read it the opposite way, I think a "Pro One II" label implies DSI originally intended it to be something like a modern re-issue (if the source checks out). I'm more interested in a comparison now than when I thought they were unrelated products.
The Evolver is labeled "The Pro One Grow Up"; does that make you want a comparison as well? I can tell you right now that the Evolver can almost match it, but it lacks the sizzle in the filter. As I said, it clearly wouldn't be a reintroduction. Think of it this way- If SCI came out with a "Pro~One II" when they were in business, would it be the exact same thing?? No. So why would it be now? Dave has stated he is not making these to replace old stuff but instead to be new creations. Also, Dave Smith is known for placing "oddities & witticisms" on circuits boards. The original Prophets had Buddhas, Sanskrit, Shrooms, and other miscellany. He was a total pothead. :lol:

MoPho

Mono Evolver Keyboard
bonne chance

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:31 am

Great pictures, got any of Dave's psychedilic circuit boards? Two of my favorite things in one package...
If SCI came out with a "Pro~One II" when they were in business, would it be the exact same thing?? No. So why would it be now?
If it were the exact same thing, what would be the point of comparing the two? The idea is to gain an understanding of what the differences are.

Cybercardinal
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cybercardinal » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:13 pm

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:01 am

smoothcriminal wrote:
How would you compare the Prophet 5 and the Prophet VS?

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:03 am

Those secret circuit board messages are pretty funny.

Pro One = 1 voice of a Prophet 5
MoPho = 1 voice of a Prophet 08

So Pro One II makes sense to me.

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:11 pm

GuyaGuy wrote:Those secret circuit board messages are pretty funny.
The Tetra circuit board says "Phour" on it. Seems like the code names for DSI projects are more interesting than the real names.

I wonder what witticisms reside on the Prophet '08 or Poly Evolver boards.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:26 pm

Synthaholic wrote:I wonder what witticisms reside on the Poly Evolver boards.

"yahweeee!!!!" :lol:
bonne chance