hehe, mom wants a keyboard!

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

hehe, mom wants a keyboard!

Post by space6oy » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:22 pm

so my mom knows i'm almost always buying & selling music gear, just called me up asking if i had any keyboards for sale, wants to get one & get back to playing keys (she used to play piano but hasn't in a long time). if i hadn't just recently sold my JX-8P i'd be hooking her up w/ that. now i've gotta come up w/ an idea & start looking around for something else for her. feels funny, but it's very cool.

anyone have any suggestions for a synth newbie like her? she's not gonna care about it being vintage or analog or anything. first thought was just to go w/ a midi controller, but it'd be better off as a standalone. maybe even one w/ built in speakers... though i know i don't want to be turning her to some cheap radio shack piece of s**t... know she'll be into it having more sounds than just piano emulation, even if that's what she's wanting to start w/.

anyone have/had a modern casio or yamaha or something like that you'd recommend? or any oldies that aren't too expensive?

hmmmm...

:D

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Re: hehe, mom wants a keyboard!

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:31 pm

I'm not a huge fan, but it would probably be excellent for your mom- Roland HS 60. It's basically the Juno 106 with built in speakers originally aimed at consumers. Although, I'm not sure if you're looking for something less synthesized.

Honorable mention: VL Tone VL1 ;)
bonne chance

space6oy

Post by space6oy » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:35 pm

yeah that was the first thing i thought of when mentioning built in speakers. i'd love if she got into adjusting & creating her own sounds, but have the feeling at least for starters she'll just be looking for emulative presets that sound good.

JNeidlinger
Gear: MS-10, MS-2000, CZ-3000, JX-3P, JX-8P, ER-1, MSQ-700, Prophet-600, Poly-61, x0xb0x, OB-SX, Moog Slayer EX-800, Polivoks Filter, Yamaha GS-2, and on...

Post by JNeidlinger » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:36 pm

I was going to say the HS-60 too. Sounds perfect. Unfortunately they only come up on the bay ever so often.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:39 pm

I saw one a few months ago here for only like two hundred bucks. If you do find one, they're usually cheaper than the Juno because most people that bought them were consumers; you'd be more likely to find one at a yard sale than other stuff. I'm sure you could program like 5-10 really good emulative patches for her (such as piano, strings, violin, marimba, drums, bass, guitar, or whatever) and then from there she could work them out on her own.
bonne chance

JNeidlinger
Gear: MS-10, MS-2000, CZ-3000, JX-3P, JX-8P, ER-1, MSQ-700, Prophet-600, Poly-61, x0xb0x, OB-SX, Moog Slayer EX-800, Polivoks Filter, Yamaha GS-2, and on...

Post by JNeidlinger » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:44 pm

Almost as if.. someone was reading this post.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:49 pm

JNeidlinger wrote:

Almost as if.. someone was reading this post.
Holy s**t, it's even in Ohio!

But, even though it has the original box and is in great condition, I don't think that space6oy wants to spend that much. I could be wrong.
bonne chance

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:50 pm

Here's one that seems like a good middle ground, at a more affordable price. http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/msg/1899150008.html
bonne chance

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:56 pm

Roland RD-series digital pianos (300,500,700). Sound great, feel great and are going for cheap now. Fair selections of organ,EP, clav, strings etc.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

DX7Alex
Gear: Yamaha DX7iiFD
Ensoniq ASR-X
Hammond M-162 chop
Korg Monotron
Korg 01/W FD
Novation Xiosynth 49
Yamaha SY-77
Yamaha P-90

Post by DX7Alex » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:37 am

The SY77 is truly an excellent keyboard, and sells for ridiculously low prices now. Also, it has a sequencer so she can listen to her performances later.
"We beat this thing, we kicked it down, on the ground." Stevie Wonder on ARP 2600 repair techniques.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:40 am

DX7Alex wrote:The SY77 is truly an excellent keyboard, and sells for ridiculously low prices now. Also, it has a sequencer so she can listen to her performances later.
Looks pretty hard to use to me. :cry:
bonne chance

space6oy

Post by space6oy » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:47 am

$370 for an HS-60 wouldn't be bad at all. too bad their BIN price is way higher than i'd go. cool that it's in ohio, but apparently being sold by a business so they'd be tacking on taxes.

that one in detroit's craigslist is an HS-10, doesn't have built in speakers... a little amp wouldn't be a problem i guess, even have one i've been meaning to get back from a friend (gave her that & a fender strat about a year & a half ago when she said she wanted to learn to play guitar, of course she's never touched 'em...).

SY77's probably a handful for their going rate.

will have to look up some of the RD series... thanks guys!

Elandroth
Gear: Nord Lead 2X, DSI MEK PE, Roland D-50/Juno-60/TR-707, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Casio CZ-5000, Elektron MD UW+

Post by Elandroth » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:14 am

If cleveland isn't too horrible of a drive from where you are, why don't you just contact the store and give them a flat rate offer and you pick it up. Could probably get it for less than 370, especially if it sits up for a lil bit with no bites. Before craigslist was my primary hunting grounds I never payed a store anywhere close to tag price/what they were hoping for, especially for used gear cause they probably bought it for 20% of it's worth or less.

Couldn't hurt to try, especially if Cleveland is within a reasonable distance.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:18 am

I thought all the HS series had speakers! Oh well. Yeah, might want to just call the store.
bonne chance

Old Iron Giant
Gear: Virus Ti2, Indig2, EmuXL7, Microkorg.
Band: KHz+

Post by Old Iron Giant » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:18 am

I still have the Ensoniq ASR-88 i'm trying to offload.
I'm moving in a few weeks to our new house in Syl Ohio, and just want it gone.

I have enough junk to move, this one is just too big & heavy to lug around with me.

sold all of my gear, and kept three keyboards & two sequencer groove box's.
Last edited by Old Iron Giant on Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.