Synth For Psychedelic Rock?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
se7en
Gear: Email: mysticalpistol@gmail.com

Re: Synth For Psychedelic Rock?

Post by se7en » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:11 pm

sequentialsoftshock wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:
sequentialsoftshock wrote:It would seem as though he no longer has the Nord, judging by the original posts wording..? He used the past tense with that one and not the Moog.
It would seem that I already realised that, judging by my post's wording. I used the past tense when describing the Nord.
Oops I missed that. Apologies, it's late for me and I'm drugged up on cold medicine :P

Looks like he's selling his little phatty in the for sake section. Think he would best keeping that and learning synthesis with that and spending his money for some effects?
I decided to hold on to the little phatty and add an Ion or Micron. I'm really happy with some of the sounds I've been dialing in on the Moog....just need something for chords/pads now. The Ion would be easier to dial in, but doesnt have as many features.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:30 pm

se7en wrote: I decided to hold on to the little phatty and add an Ion or Micron. I'm really happy with some of the sounds I've been dialing in on the Moog....just need something for chords/pads now. The Ion would be easier to dial in, but doesnt have as many features.
Good call. You should buy a micron for less, and get a software editor. Then, use the money you saved with buying the Micron for an external effects unit. Whether a few single EHX or MXR pedals, or a multieffect unit. ;)
bonne chance

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:53 pm

What you will want as well, for any and all psych stuff, is a BBD(real analog) delay - carbon copy, memory man/boy, etc there's a shiteload to chose from.
just go get one now to use w/ your phatty and vocals, drums, or whatever you want to grind and shwizzle through time and space itself. and don't look back; you'll be really glad you did.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:07 am

shaft9000 wrote:What you will want as well, for any and all psych stuff, is a BBD(real analog) delay - carbon copy, memory man/boy, etc there's a shiteload to chose from.
just go get one now to use w/ your phatty and vocals, drums, or whatever you want to grind and shwizzle through time and space itself. and don't look back; you'll be really glad you did.
I highly recommend the memory boy!
bonne chance

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:27 am

A combo organ, nice analog delay, any synth that makes weird noises.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

se7en

Post by se7en » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:36 am

sequentialsoftshock wrote:
se7en wrote: I decided to hold on to the little phatty and add an Ion or Micron. I'm really happy with some of the sounds I've been dialing in on the Moog....just need something for chords/pads now. The Ion would be easier to dial in, but doesnt have as many features.
Good call. You should buy a micron for less, and get a software editor. Then, use the money you saved with buying the Micron for an externqal effects unit. Whether a few single EHX or MXR pedals, or a multieffect unit. ;)
Yeah, i'm familiar with those pedals...good recommendations. I have some pretty good delay pedals already actually that I use with guitar. I ran the Moog thru my guitar amp today and was getting some killer grit and grind with it. I ran a phaser for some stuff, too.
You think the Micron is a better choice than the Ion (money not being an issue). I really like that it has the built in sequencer and drums, but the lack of realtime knobs and smaller keyboard could be a hindrance.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:13 am

If money is no issue, I'd spring for the ion for the reasons mentioned. I was just stating the micron thing if you did have a budget so you could also buy some effects. If you can spend a bit, get the ion and use whatever pedals you got now and add some if you want. You can also use software to sequence.
bonne chance

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:02 am

The sequencer and drums aren't actually that great to use on the Micron, they're so much of a pain to program that neither I nor my bandmate have ever bothered to use them on his one. The fx built in are kind of handy, but personally I think an Ion with external fx would be miles better for what you describe you want to do.

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:07 pm

se7en wrote:I am leaning towards the Ion at the moment. Seems hard to beat for what you get and would be great to learn on.
IMHO Your best bet .
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

se7en

Post by se7en » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:38 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:The sequencer and drums aren't actually that great to use on the Micron, they're so much of a pain to program that neither I nor my bandmate have ever bothered to use them on his one. The fx built in are kind of handy, but personally I think an Ion with external fx would be miles better for what you describe you want to do.
Cool. I'll look for an ION then.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:50 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:The sequencer and drums aren't actually that great to use on the Micron, they're so much of a pain to program that neither I nor my bandmate have ever bothered to use them on his one. The fx built in are kind of handy, but personally I think an Ion with external fx would be miles better for what you describe you want to do.
+1.

They sound good, and are tweakable, but editing / sequencing is so impossible on the unit that they're useless.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:42 am

I found the drum section to be pretty simple, but I've been at this s**t for years now and tend to use really archaic synths.

sequence

Post by sequence » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:28 am

se7en wrote:Anyways, I'm basically looking to do Pink Floyd-esque sounds and other trippy stuff that will work well in a guitar-oriented rock band. I'm not looking for techno/dance sounds. Looking for something with some warmth to it and something than can get aggressive/gritty if need be as well. I appreciate your thoughts...
How about a Roland JP-8000? There are a few on the 'bay that are pretty reasonable, and can fit the pscyh-rock scheme pretty well. Also, I have to SHAMELESSLY plug the MS2000- as a guitarist I learned subtractive synthesis on one of those, sold it, and have regretted it ever since. I see one in my near future--again. They are AWESOME guitar signal processors! Plus only having 4 voices is moot: it's what U do with 4 voices that counts. Something like that (or the JP-8000) would complement yr LP quite well. Never mind the naysayers. You cant go wrong with any of the original 4 VA modelers: Lead, MS2000, JP-8000, and the (vastly underrated) Yamaha An1x.

Glad to see many of the opinionated synth-minds are still here and kicking. ;) Altho U guys really suck balls at times, I still missed ya, and am elated to be back >hugs< :)
twentyfirst century fizMO man