first moog synth...

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
JohnTron
Gear: Cowbell

first moog synth...

Post by JohnTron » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:31 am

I need a vintage monosynth that sounds warm and fat for bass and leads. I was originally thinking SCI Pro One, but I have been waiting forever to pop my moog cherry, and vco for that matter. I've got scads of dco synths that all have a somewhat metallic timbre. I'm looking for the cheapest, but warmest moog synth.

I have been thinking about getting a Micromoog since their prices have dropped recently. It's a step up from the MG-1 and Rogue. But how big of a step is it? How does it compare to the minimoog in your opinion? The older the better, but price and reliability are still a factor. Am I barking up the right tree?
"In the end, we'll agree, we'll accept, we'll immortalize."
Jon Anderson - Yes

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Re: first moog synth...

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:37 am

JohnTron wrote:I need a vintage monosynth that sounds warm and fat for bass and leads. I was originally thinking SCI Pro One, but I have been waiting forever to pop my moog cherry, and vco for that matter. I've got scads of dco synths that all have a somewhat metallic timbre. I'm looking for the cheapest, but warmest moog synth.

I have been thinking about getting a Micromoog since their prices have dropped recently. It's a step up from the MG-1 and Rogue. But how big of a step is it? How does it compare to the minimoog in your opinion? The older the better, but price and reliability are still a factor. Am I barking up the right tree?
I always encourage people to buy the Micromoog. It, of all the lower-budget Moogs, has the most Moog Sound-like sound. It also has a lot of unique features.
That being said, it's not a step up from the MG-1, as the MG-1 has two oscillators. It's a step up in build quality (although not a large step up), and a step up in unique functionality, but the MG-1 is no slouch. Still, if you want the Moog Sound, I say Micromoog. If you want a full-featured and inexpensive Moog which can occasionally pull off some even Minimoogish sounds, get an MG-1.

If you want a Moog simply to have a synth with that name on it, it doesn't matter what you get.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

JohnTron

Post by JohnTron » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:48 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:I always encourage people to buy the Micromoog. It, of all the lower-budget Moogs, has the most Moog Sound-like sound. It also has a lot of unique features.
That being said, it's not a step up from the MG-1, as the MG-1 has two oscillators. It's a step up in build quality (although not a large step up), and a step up in unique functionality, but the MG-1 is no slouch. Still, if you want the Moog Sound, I say Micromoog. If you want a full-featured and inexpensive Moog which can occasionally pull off some even Minimoogish sounds, get an MG-1.

If you want a Moog simply to have a synth with that name on it, it doesn't matter what you get.
Thanks for the reply AG. I stopped caring about the brand-name and the looks of my synths. I'm simply concerned with the tone. Between those two, it sounds like the micromoog has a warmer and purer quality to it, although limited to a single osc.

I want to get as close as I can to the real thing (mini). I have the Minimonsta softie that I can explore for the mini's features. And dual osc dco's to educate myself more on the editing process. I think the micro is the way to go for me. Thanks again.
Jon Anderson - Yes

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:30 pm

JohnTron wrote:Between those two, it sounds like the micromoog has a warmer and purer quality to it, although limited to a single osc.
This is absolutely true. What's more, the timbral capabilities of the Micromoog make a second oscillator pretty unimportant.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage

druzz
Band: November's Ego

Post by druzz » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:37 pm

john , personally i would go for the mg-1 . the mini has up to three oscillators but lets say we use only two because we like to do modulation. now what will get you closer to the sound of a two oscillators analog synth, a one osc synth or a two osc synth?? i know it sounds retarded to ask that question but having only one osc will keep you very far from a lot of the minimoog sounds we love to play with . so whats more important for you, tone subtleties or foundamental features.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:10 pm

druzz wrote:john , personally i would go for the mg-1 . the mini has up to three oscillators but lets say we use only two because we like to do modulation. now what will get you closer to the sound of a two oscillators analog synth, a one osc synth or a two osc synth?? i know it sounds retarded to ask that question but having only one osc will keep you very far from a lot of the minimoog sounds we love to play with . so whats more important for you, tone subtleties or foundamental features.
The reason I endorse the Micromoog in this respect is because the Micromoog is far closer in tone to the Minimoog, irrespective of oscillator count. Obviously, it's awesome that the MG-1 has what amounts to 3 oscillators to stack, and certainly, it can do some Minimoog-like sounds, but the Minimoog tone evades it.
You're right, though... it is a tradeoff. More tone with Micro, more osc-count similarities with MG.

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:11 pm

i'm with AG. If you want the stereotypical bandwidth-hogging Moog sound...the MG-1 just doesn't really do that. I owned one for several years and sold it after I bought a Source. The first time I touched a key on the Source...THAT was what a Moog was supposed to sound like. I've played a Micromoog before. It has that too, but the MG-1 doesn't. Not that the MG-1 is a bad synth because it is an awesome synthesizer. It just doesn't have that, I dunno, largess of sound than I normally associate with Moog.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

druzz
Band: November's Ego

Post by druzz » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:20 am

actually i think i would grab any of them if i had a good occasion but its true that for what john is asking the micro fits the purpose (if this expression exist or make any sense)*.

it is a moog after all ,compared to being ''like a'' moog. and the reliability should come with it as well as the sound.

* sorry for my questionnable english

ygg

Post by ygg » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:41 pm

Never played a micro but I do have a mini and a mg-1.

From what johntron says: "I'm looking for the cheapest, but warmest moog synth." what can be warmer then a mg-1..

Not sure about the micro's bass potential but the mg-1 does some seriously wicked bass. I use it way more then the mini (which I hardly use, it eats to much space/freQs) for bass sounds. Strange perhaps, but my daily reality.

Also with 2 osc comes the ability to sync, among other possibilities.
Acid Generators: Mg-1, Tb-Devilfish, Fizmo, Minimoog, JP6europa, JP4 I/O, S-100m, Maplin 5600s, Prophet 5, NordWave, Concorde 502, Tr-77, Tr-808midi, Machinedrum, Vermona drmmk2, Re-201, Vt-1, Fireworx, Scrotum, other FX , pedals and hardware.

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member
Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Post by rharris07 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:00 pm

I'm not being an asshole on purpose - but can't you get the moog sound from a little phatty too?

The reason I ask - I don't own any moogs, never played any vintage moogs. I've only played on the LP so thats the only sound of moog I know from personal experience...

Are they not the same moog sound any longer?

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Post by ColorForm2113 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:20 pm

I love my micromoog, I never had a chance to play a mini, just voyager and little phatty, but trust me you will not miss the extra vcos once you blend in a little sub osc and put some modulation to the wave form. You can get some bowl loosening bass from that. As far as leads, it can sing like a saprano opera singer or can push your lead guitarist off the stage and out of the spotlight. Just make sure get one with a good pitch ribbon controller

Also its very good for percussion sounds.
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!)

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:35 pm

rharris07 wrote:I'm not being an asshole on purpose - but can't you get the moog sound from a little phatty too?
Yes indeed you can. That's my stock go-to synthesizer for pretty much anything I can't play with chords. If it's too big I go to the Tetra or Juno. I've commented on here before about my love-hate relationship with my LP (love its sound but when I'm away from it keep thinking I'd rather have a vintage knobby Moog) but it is a pro instrument and to my ears it has about 98% of the Source's tone (it doesn't sizzle up top as much). These days second-hand LP Stage I's (w/o USB) are creeping close to $700. That's not much more than you'd pay for a Micro or an MG-1...
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Post by Sir Nose » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:54 pm

redchapterjubilee wrote:
rharris07 wrote:I'm not being an asshole on purpose - but can't you get the moog sound from a little phatty too?
These days second-hand LP Stage I's (w/o USB) are creeping close to $700. That's not much more than you'd pay for a Micro or an MG-1...

Even cheaper after repair tech bills. Unless, there's a specific vintage moog sound (specific to a single instrument) you are looking for I would definately go with the LP. You can't download a preset bank for a micro or mg :lol:
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:58 pm

ygg wrote:what can be warmer then a mg-1..
A Micromoog. :)
ygg wrote:Not sure about the micro's bass potential but the mg-1 does some seriously wicked bass. I use it way more then the mini (which I hardly use, it eats to much space/freQs) for bass sounds. Strange perhaps, but my daily reality.

Also with 2 osc comes the ability to sync, among other possibilities.
Don't get me wrong, I am the guy who tells everyone that the fact that they're not buying one of the cheapest AND feature-filled AND Moog synthesizers is an outrage. The MG-1 is a great-sounding and feature-filled synthesizer... I'd take it over a Rogue or a Prodigy any day.
However, it lacks the amazing tone, low end, and REALLY interesting functionality the Micromoog possesses.

As for using your MG-1 instead of your Minimoog... don't you feel limited by the limited octave settings? You can only go so low with your MG-1, and it doesn't have the triangle wave, which delivers such amazingly low, deep, and rich timbres on the Minimoog.
rharris07 wrote:I've only played on the LP so thats the only sound of moog I know from personal experience...
Are they not the same moog sound any longer?
Warning: Pedantry Ahead
The modern Moogs sound absolutely splendid, and definitely possess a sound which differs from other synthesizers due to their filter and implementation. This is a Moog sound, but it is not "The Moog Sound" of yore.
While it may be immaterial to many... who cares which Moog sound it is? The term "The Moog Sound" was in specific reference to the rich, fat, saturated sound that came out of Moog modulars in the 60s and 70s as compared to other synthesizers. It was as much a result of the very sloppy oscillators and other functionality as it was the filters. The Minimoog has some of this sound, and so does the Micromoog (due to the fact that both the oscillators and filters are overdriven), but with increasing precision, quality, and diminishment of functionality, the Moogs after these synths (yes, including those Moogs even made in the 70s) really don't have it (at least to the degree that the modular did).

JohnTron

Post by JohnTron » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:12 am

this has been extremely helpful, thank you. i gotta sell a couple roland jx's, then i will wait for a micro to come along. unfortunately, they are averaging around $700-1000 online, not the $500-600 range i was hoping for. im going to wait patiently and with any luck get one cheaper....should fit rather nicely over the juno. the mg-1 still intrigues me as well, thanks for input...
Jon Anderson - Yes