Which synth should I get for $700 or less...

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Re: Which synth should I get for $700 or less...

Post by th0mas » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:51 pm

blofeld - sounds awesome, beware of failing encoders though.

would not suggest a one-trick pony like a x0xb0x (there was 303 talk above, only a matter of time someone draws the connection). It sounds great but really only does one thing really well.

would not suggest an alpha juno. Onboard editing is terrible.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:40 pm

the radias was one of the synths i brought to that jam session. diddn't really play leads with it though as far as i can remember. i recomend it highly. interestingly, and as an alternate approach that's sort of outside the box, you could probably do great things with a monosynth and a cheap sampler.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Malpine Walis

Post by Malpine Walis » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:57 am

Omniant wrote:Absolutely willing to do it on ebay. Most of the gear I've purchased since I can remember has been on eBay and no, there is no absolute particular I'm looking for (which is why I made this thread), nor do I absolutely need it by a certain date. I'll have to check that Virus out.
Then you are in a good place for sniping. I have had debates on the internet over whether sniping is even possible. Trust me, it is. You can't snipe on yahoo because they never end an auction until 15 minutes after the last bid comes in but on ebay, it can be done.

Basically, let's say that you know what you want and you have an auction that is at $500 and ending in two hours. Put in a bid for $510. If you get outbid instantly, then someone has a proxy bid in that may be trouble for sniping. If you do not get outbid, that does not prove that there is not another sniper watching the deal but you can still work it.

Log in and wait until the last couple of minutes. When it gets close, keep hitting F5 to refresh the page. If there are new bids coming in, then the proxy bids are in process. Stay away from the auction then. You don't need it that badly.

If you get down to the last seconds with no proxy bids, then drop your $700 price in the last five seconds of the auction. Even if there is a large proxy bid placed in the last few seconds, you are in a war, not with the other guy so much as with how long it takes the ebay servers to come around to that auction again.

If you hit it close enough, ebay will take your proxy and not be able to come around to the auction again in time for the other proxy bid. You will get your item for like $520 despite there being a much larger proxy bid in the system.
Current gear:

Korg X5 (basically an ROMpler)
Casio VZ 10M (rack mount 80's style synth-- think DX7 on steroids)
Roland A 37 (6+ octave controller for the Casio rack unit above)
Roland JP 8000 (well enough known analog modeling digital synth)

Omniant
Gear: V Synth, Little Phatty, Nord Lead 2, MO 6, Ultranova, VST's
Band: Novelectro

Post by Omniant » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:28 pm

Haha...

Yea that's pretty much what I always do. I manage to get some pretty good deals that way.

I think the radias and the Virus C might be new targets of mine. I can get a Radias keyboard for $550 and a virus C module for $650. I'm thinking that might really help my sound.

I've just never really grown into liking my Nord Lead 2. There are 1 or 2 sounds that are extremely unique that I love on it but being on a budget I don't think I can justify having something worth that much money to only use 1 sound.

The way I'm looking at it is I can sell my NL2 and some of my other gear and probably fetch around $1500. I can get both the Virus and the Radias for $1200. I've been using a MO 6 for EP sounds and for Pads but between the virus and the radias I'd probably have the pads covered. If i can get $600 for the MO, that leaves me with $900 which I can probably purchase a real Rhodes, or a Nord Electro 2 and use that purely for EP sounds. I would have spent no additional money and my setup would go from...

MO 6 + NL 2 + bass gear that's lying around and collecting dust

to

Virus C + Radias + Rhodes or Electro 2. That's a pretty big upgrade.

Dubersive

Post by Dubersive » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:52 pm

th0mas wrote:blofeld - sounds awesome, beware of failing encoders though.
Does anyone know if the Blofeld Keyboard has issues with the encoders as well? I picked mine up for 500 euros ($691), which I think is an awesome deal. Haven't received it yet, but the seller said it's in mint condition. Hopefully I won't encounter any surprises with the encoders...
[ Cwejman S1 MK2 / Korg MS-20 / SQ-10 | TR-606 | Eurorack stuff ]

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Dubersive wrote:
th0mas wrote:blofeld - sounds awesome, beware of failing encoders though.
Does anyone know if the Blofeld Keyboard has issues with the encoders as well? I picked mine up for 500 euros ($691), which I think is an awesome deal. Haven't received it yet, but the seller said it's in mint condition. Hopefully I won't encounter any surprises with the encoders...
Asking that question on the waldorf users mailing list would be the best way to find out. I stopped following the list when I sold my blofeld so I don't know, you could try searching the list as well. Google it to get the page for signing up / searching the archives.

Dubersive

Post by Dubersive » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:54 pm

th0mas wrote: Asking that question on the waldorf users mailing list would be the best way to find out. I stopped following the list when I sold my blofeld so I don't know, you could try searching the list as well. Google it to get the page for signing up / searching the archives.
Ah, I wasn't aware there was a user-group for Waldorf. I'll do that then. Thanks :)
[ Cwejman S1 MK2 / Korg MS-20 / SQ-10 | TR-606 | Eurorack stuff ]

Malpine Walis

Post by Malpine Walis » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:08 am

And you want to know if stuff you already spent money on is any good. Yes, it is astounding. It will even make breakfast for you.
Current gear:

Korg X5 (basically an ROMpler)
Casio VZ 10M (rack mount 80's style synth-- think DX7 on steroids)
Roland A 37 (6+ octave controller for the Casio rack unit above)
Roland JP 8000 (well enough known analog modeling digital synth)

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:40 pm

I woudl reccomend a Moog/Realistic MG1. It is primarily a mono synth, but it does have a divide down organ as well. It does not have a pitch or mod wheel though.
The JX3p is a pretty fun polysynth.
If you get more than one Dark Energy it can be poly as well. It also takes midi, USB and CV.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:28 am

If you can swing even $100-150 more, you could prbably lock up a great board like the Little Phatty ( I recommend Stage II). Since you have pads/EP covered, the LP can give you the solid lead/bass sounds you desire. I realize you don't want a mono synth, but don't be fooled by the term "mono", one note can be a most powerful thing. A quick search on eBay I found these

DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JV-1080
Roland D-550
Roland S-760 (3x)
Waldorf Pulse+
u-he Zebra2

Post by DLovas » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:42 am

I've used the RADIAS before - not in depth enough to really have a solid opinion on it - but I didn't like the sounds i heard from it - maybe cause they were presets...

anyway - just ignore that

I think the JP8000 from Roland is a great synth for leads and definitely in your price range (got mine for 560)

u have to use ebay or something though since its been discontinued for a while now - theres always some up there though. Once you learn how to program it, its just a breeze to play. You can easily coax great leads from it, and it is actually quite good at emulating an analogue sound i have recently learned with some patches I've been making lately. I love its interface. Its very simple, knobs and sliders for pretty much all parameters, not to mention it has a nice LCD display, enabling you to name patches when saving them. Might not sound like much, but for me, naming the patch is a very long process and it enables me to give it a sort of Subconscience identity within my mind (sort of like ill associate it with different worldly aspects) and i find that it truly adds to the quality of the ideas i come up with....

on the other hand, theres the similarly regard Yamaha AN1x that i just picked up myself. Can't really comment much on it since it hasn;t arrived yet, but as with the JP8000 you'd have to go on ebay for one (the one i got ran me 600) Read up on em see what you think.

Ignore what i said bout RADIAS but consider those two options.

P.S. almost forgot to mention - if your planning on using a lot of MIDI, i just want to let you know my JP8000 behaves strangely with it, in none other than aggravating ways. Sometimes it decides to lock parameters from being changed or so, and when i mentioned it on the forum, a fellow owner also stated having troubles with JP midi. So be weary. I've heard of no similar issues from the AN1x however.

Good luck - i find that when you do the right research (as you seem to be doing) the result of your informed purchase will be none other than satisfactory, and in most cases, perfect for your needs. :) good luck.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:22 am

calaverasgrande wrote:I woudl reccomend a Moog/Realistic MG1. It is primarily a mono synth, but it does have a divide down organ as well. It does not have a pitch or mod wheel though.
If you get more than one Dark Energy it can be poly as well. It also takes midi, USB and CV.
Why are you bumping all these old threads? I'm pretty sure someone asking for advice 9 months ago has already bought something, and if they haven't yet then posting in their thread isn't going to help.

DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JV-1080
Roland D-550
Roland S-760 (3x)
Waldorf Pulse+
u-he Zebra2

Post by DLovas » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:55 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
calaverasgrande wrote:I woudl reccomend a Moog/Realistic MG1. It is primarily a mono synth, but it does have a divide down organ as well. It does not have a pitch or mod wheel though.
Why are you bumping all these old threads? I'm pretty sure someone asking for advice 9 months ago has already bought something, and if they haven't yet then posting in their thread isn't going to help.
damn didnt kno this was so old... lol

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:31 am

Stab Frenzy wrote: