Please Convince Me I Don't Need An Alesis Ion

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Andy_X69
Gear: Alesis A6 Andromeda, Access Virus TI, Arturia Minibrute, DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard, Waldorf Micro-Q, Waldorf Pulse 2

Please Convince Me I Don't Need An Alesis Ion

Post by Andy_X69 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:42 am

Okay, like all of us I am sufferring a case of Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

I've already partly indulged it by getting a Waldorf MicroQ, an expansion audio interface for my MOTU PCIe424 system, and I'm going to be getting a Terratec Axon AX50 and Spectral Audio Neptune 2.

The problem is whether or not I should get an Alesis Ion.

PROS OF ION
+ Best vintage emulation around, bar none
+ I can use it as a controller keyboard
+ I've played a Micron (same sound engine) and its the best bass from a VA I've ever heard. Yep; better than my Virus TI for bass

CONS OF ION
- I already have an Alesis Andromeda, which I can easily use as a controller keyboard, and its real analog baby.
- The shipping to get one to Australia would cost about a kidney (going by several different quotes I've seen on the 'bay)
- I already have a Virus TI and Waldorf Micro-Q; that's enough VA really (yes, I know the Ion sounds very different from both of them, and yes, I also have a Nord Rack 3 but I use that more for digital ear rape and FM and sonic razorblades)
-Buying an Ion would necessitate the purchase of additional keyboard stand
-I make industrial; do I really need to emulate vintage analog polysynths? And even if I do, the Andromeda can do that for me (okay, it sounds a bit more stable, but it can do warm and snuggly enough, if I were to suddenly join a Duran Duran cover band (and Nick Rhodes uses an Andromeda for all that too)).
- It isn't like I'm lacking for good bass; I have an A6, an SH2 and a Virus TI and I've heard the Waldorf Micro-Q is very respectable for bass.
- An Ion costs money and I have other expensive hobbies like, oh, alcoholism and playing blackjack.

An Ion would probably be the most redundant piece of gear in my studio if I were to buy it.

Please provide more evidence that I am right and I don't need to give in to GAS over an Ion.

Thanks!!!
Last edited by Andy_X69 on Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.myspace.com/studiodekadent, Cubase 4/TC Powercore X8/MOTU PCIe424 with 24io/MOTU MIDI Express 128

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, DX7, TX7, Juno-106, AX60, Pro One, S1000, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Re: Please Convince Me I Don't Need An Alesis Ion

Post by Alex E » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:43 am

Everybody needs an Alesis ION.
soundcloud.com/vectron

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:00 am

Nobody needs and Alesis ION.

roon
Gear: Roland MC-808, Alesis Micron, Waldorf Blofeld, Lots of tape.
Band: The Doomsdays

Post by roon » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:47 am

I know a guy, who tried to convince himself he doesn't need an Ion, just like you are trying to convince yourself. And he almost did it, but yet after a while he ended up with 2 Ion's, one Micron and a Miniak. So beware xD

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:56 am

Andy_X69 wrote:The problem is whether or not I should get an Alesis Ion.

CONS OF ION
- I already have an Alesis Andromeda, which I can easily use as a controller keyboard, and its real analog baby.

An Ion would probably be the most redundant piece of gear in my studio if I were to buy it.
If you get an Ion it's proof you're an idiot. :thumbright:

Dubersive

Post by Dubersive » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:51 am

You already answered your own question 10 times over with that list of cons.

Forget it, save your money (namely, quit drinking and looking at s**t you don't need) and get back to making music. :D

Also, read this essay: Stuff
[ Cwejman S1 MK2 / Korg MS-20 / SQ-10 | TR-606 | Eurorack stuff ]

Andy_X69
Gear: Alesis A6 Andromeda, Access Virus TI, Arturia Minibrute, DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard, Waldorf Micro-Q, Waldorf Pulse 2

Post by Andy_X69 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:00 am

Stab Frenzy,

Thanks.

Dubersive,

Thanks again, although the essay you linked me to reeks of old, tired, pseudo Frankfurt School cliches that made my eyes roll. And I shall not quit drinking.

But yes, you are probably right my list of cons easily outweighs the list of pros.
http://www.myspace.com/studiodekadent, Cubase 4/TC Powercore X8/MOTU PCIe424 with 24io/MOTU MIDI Express 128

Dubersive

Post by Dubersive » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:05 am

Andy_X69 wrote: Dubersive,

Thanks again, although the essay you linked me to reeks of old, tired, pseudo Frankfurt School cliches that made my eyes roll. And I shall not quit drinking.

But yes, you are probably right my list of cons easily outweighs the list of pros.
Sorry to hear you didn't like the essay. Personally, I find it to be quite logical, and helps me deter GAS.

The jab at your drinking habits was more of a joke though. Something I always tell my drinky friends when they start complaining about cash ;)
Upon re-reading it though, it might have come across as condescending, which wasn't my intention. Just elbowing :)

Andy_X69

Post by Andy_X69 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:29 am

Dubersive wrote: Upon re-reading it though, it might have come across as condescending, which wasn't my intention. Just elbowing :)
No problem. I suspected it was a joke anyway. No offense taken :)

Dubersive

Post by Dubersive » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:59 am

On the other-hand, I don't drink or go to parties. Thus:

Carry on.

jeeroj
Gear: sh-101, x0xb0x(x2), tr-606, korg es-1, half dead mc-303 and some boss micro racks

Post by jeeroj » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:02 pm

Buy it, enjoy the thrill of the purchase, endure the lengthy shipping time, the nights of not being able to drink too much beer, the days of just eating spiderwebs.

for in the end YOU ARE THE CONSUMER - SLAKE YOUR THIRST!!!!!
Debut Album out now jeeroj - Selected Acid Works 08-11
check the review HERE first

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:30 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Andy_X69 wrote:The problem is whether or not I should get an Alesis Ion.

CONS OF ION

If you get an Ion it's proof you're an idiot. :thumbright:
+1 ;)
Your gear list proves to me that you don't NEED the Ion....It would truly overlap everything you already have, which is a very good collection of gear I might add. It will boil down to whether you WANT it or not. If you think it is THAT good, then maybe you could get it and sell off some of your other gear. I, personally, would pass on the Ion. I love the synth to death, but I just don't think it will add that much to your setup. But I guess if you decide to get it, I'll talk your Andromeda or MonoEvolver. ;)

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Post by blavatsky » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:27 pm

You have a Virus TI and A6 - I doubt there are sounds you are lacking between those two.

Andy_X69

Post by Andy_X69 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:52 pm

blavatsky wrote:You have a Virus TI and A6 - I doubt there are sounds you are lacking between those two.
Well, you can't get bright, buzzy digital sounds out of them (the FM on the Virus is yucky and alias-ridden, and the FM on the Andromeda is clanging and noisy (which I like, but it isn't good for 'musical' FM).

But yeah, your point stands as does krzeppa's.

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Post by blavatsky » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:27 pm

You can't get bright digital sounds out of a virus ti? That thing is about as digital and nasty as they come in my book when done right, but I don't know about the FM (haven't tried). I didn't care too much for the FM on the micron but admittedly I had that board like 2 weeks and traded it towards an EMX (no regrets).

I had gear acquisition syndrome really bad for a couple years (still do to a degree, stalking craigslist and such) but eventually I realized that I spend much more time researching/reading/learning/buying synths than producing any tracks (thanks VSE). That is half the fun of course, but it became a holy grail quest ("I can't record that song until I have a new reverb/real analog/delay pedal/synth that can do X") without a real end. I should have like 10 double albums done based on the gear in my house but I'm lucky to c**p out a 1 minute looped jam.