Compact CV Mixer

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Compact CV Mixer

Post by Solderman » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:39 pm

Seeing that the Moog CP-251 is about $150 too expensive and has a bunch of s**t I don't need on it,(same goes for the MFB Megazwerg) I've been trying to find a similar concept where a compact, non-modular device has 3 or more CV inputs to mix, one output, and nothing else. Less than $100 preferred.

"But wait," you say, "aren't you Solderman, the dude that can build it yourself?". Indeed, that would be ace if I knew how to do the goddamn power supply part, which no DIY circuit doc on the web appears to bother including. If someone can point out a complete build doc, including power supply, I'm all ears.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

prinsen
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Blokey, MS10, Matrix-6, Kult, TR-808, Tokai Jazzbass, DIY modular + fx, amps and mics.

Re: Compact CV Mixer

Post by prinsen » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:49 pm

This supply is really easy to build on perfpoard/stripboard, http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/anal ... SUPPLY.php. A 12VAC wall wart takes care of the scary mains stuff for you.

DC mixers: http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/anal ... age=ANALOG

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:22 pm

Thanks. Should I get the inclination to go DIY, I'll look into that. Any takers on a ready-made CV Mixer on the cheap?
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:07 pm

The closest to ready made would be something like this from pAiA, then add the power supply and a DIY enclosure:

mixer kit
power supply

About $80 as kits
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

sqweebking
Gear: Roland, Moog, Yamaha, Korg, Novation, etc.
Band: sqweebking

Post by sqweebking » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:26 pm

http://www.vellemanusa.com/us/enu/produ ... ?id=350481

could something like this be adapted to a diy circuit you have in mind? I recently used one for a sequencer project..

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:23 am

Doepfer A138a + Beauty case. $200 and room for more expansion later on.

Seriously though, a voltage mixer is about as simple as a circuit gets. Should take you about half an hour to wire up on perf board. And a bipolar power supply is pretty simple, the reason you don't see instructions for any online is because anyone who's done EE or even repaired a couple of synths knows how to do it.

AC supply through a bridge rectifier, smoothing caps, voltage regulators. It's hardly rocket science for someone called solderman. :D

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:53 am

Touché amigo. It's what I get for choosing a forum user name based on a fad I went through 3 years ago, that I decidedly suck at.(But could improve with effort).

I might actually go the Doepfer route, already having 2 semi-modulars. Thanks all.
--Solderman no more.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:16 am

If you change your mind there are a few handy circuits here: http://www.doepfer.de/DIY/a100_diy.htm

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:17 pm

Looking over that MFOS schematic, a typical cheapo passive audio mixer would work, something like this:

Although the pots would likely have audio tapers.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:30 pm

The DoD is certainly a nice ready-made way to also get a set of passive attenuators, if its output is patched to a buffered input. I suppose I'm just trying to play it safe by wanting an active CV mixer.
--Solderman no more.