TB 303

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
djstyleee

TB 303

Post by djstyleee » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:46 pm

Hello VC, I have been debating purchasing a Roland TB303 for a while now, I love the original sound and believe it would be worthy of the price tag. My question is.. is the filter automatable? and for those who have the devil fish or analog solutions mods are they a must or a no go? cheers

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: TB 303

Post by Solderman » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:23 pm

Some x0xb0x operating systems allow Midi automation of filter cutoff, usually by Midi velocity. Thing is, what most people love about the original sound of the Roland Bassline is the effect of the Accent and Slide parameters on the steps, which you won't be able to reproduce very well with Midi. Best to use the internal sequencer on either the original or x0xb0x for that.

I've contemplated getting my 303 Devilfish modded for ages, as they are definitely worthy additions to take the 303 beyond anything you'd predict, and the biggest thing stopping me is that goddamn sequencer. It doesn't matter how many bells and whistles you add to it, you'll still have a machine which forces you to make 3 minimum passes to get your sequence, and that's only if you don't make any mistakes. True many mods, including the Devilfish, allow you to more easily copy patterns than the cumbersome method of the original, but you don't always want a copy to start with. The x0xb0x bypasses this of course, and there are lots of mods out there for them, but some of Robin Whittle's Devilfish mods are still his own secrets.
Last edited by Solderman on Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:26 pm

welcome to the forum - sorry but this belongs in the buyer's guide section.

djstyleee

Post by djstyleee » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:50 pm

Solderman wrote:Some x0xb0x operating systems allow Midi automation of filter cutoff, usually by Midi velocity. Thing is, what most people love about the original sound of the Roland Bassline is the effect of the Accent and Slide parameters on the steps, which you won't be able to reproduce very well with Midi. Best to use the internal sequencer on either the original or x0xb0x for that.

I've contemplated getting my 303 Devilfish modded for ages, as they are definitely worthy additions to take the 303 beyond anything you'd predict, and the biggest thing stopping me is that goddamn sequencer. It doesn't matter how many bells and whistles you add to it, you'll still have a machine which forces you to make 3 minimum passes to get your sequence, and that's only if you don't make any mistakes. True many mods, including the Devilfish, allow you to more easily copy patterns than the cumbersome method of the original, but you don't always want a copy to start with. The x0xb0x bypasses this of course, and there are lots of mods out there for them, but some of Robin Whittle's Devilfish mods are still his own secrets.
Cheers mate that clears a few things up, are they a pain in the arse to program?

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:06 pm

Compared to an x0xb0x, most definitely. Some are used to it, but I've never liked it, because I tend to make too many mistakes. You could argue this is the best recipe for lots of happy accidents, but I think that only gets you so far if you're trying to be productive.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:45 pm

it's worthy to note that a standard 303 doesn't even have midi. it has sync. so if you just have the 303 and a computer, or other midi synths, you need to find either a converter or an old sequencer that can send sync clock out if you want to sequence it in time. the sequencer on the 303 imo is one of it's best features it has if you want to write 303 sounding acid lines, but you have to be open to the 303's interpretation of what you're putting into it. if you really have an idea in your head and you're struggling to get it down right in the 303, it helps to use a simple piano roll to figure out how many rests/ holds you should enter and what not. not too many instruments spit something back at you that you never would have thought to write that somehow sounds awesome as frequently as a 303. than again, few instruments can be as frustrating...
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:23 pm

Solderman wrote:Compared to an x0xb0x, most definitely. Some are used to it, but I've never liked it, because I tend to make too many mistakes. You could argue this is the best recipe for lots of happy accidents, but I think that only gets you so far if you're trying to be productive.
+1, dead on comparison. 303 wasn't for me.

psyfi

Post by psyfi » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:33 pm

There is a midi kit for the 303 which I belive makes cutoff automatable. I actualy quite like getting lost in sequencer programming sessions and have fell ouy of love with midifying my 303 up. if it were any easier it wouldnt be as much fun. 8-)

Computer Controlled
Gear: SH-101 . TB-3 . TR-8 . Juno-1 w/PG-300 . TT-303 . Korg ES2 . Beatstep Pro . Pioneer RMX-500
Band: Computer Controlled

Post by Computer Controlled » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:52 am

I wouldn't dream of MIDI-ing my 303.
Synths:
Avalon Bassline . TB-03 . JU-06 . MX-1 . Blofeld . MicroMonsta . Akai S5000
Drum Machines:
TR-09 . TR-8

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:04 am

Solderman wrote:and the biggest thing stopping me is that goddamn sequencer. It doesn't matter how many bells and whistles you add to it, you'll still have a machine which forces you to make 3 minimum passes to get your sequence.
Why on earth do you need to make 3 passes? It only takes me 2 passes. You obviously haven't mastered the 303's sequencer.

1st Pass - Pitches (Notes)
2nd Pass - Transpose (UP or DOWN) + Acc & Slide data.

DONE!

I have noticed a bug in the 303's sequencer, when switching back from PLAY to WRITE mode. If you have a slide on the first-step the 303 will wipe it when you re-enter PITCH MODE. This will also cause a note in your sequence to change somewhere.

I thought it was a Memory line address problem, until i done the same on my other 303 and the same thing happened again. I also asked Ripe909 to test one of his 303's donig that, and the same thing also happened.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:29 am

djstyleee wrote:Hello VC, I have been debating purchasing a Roland TB303 for a while now, I love the original sound and believe it would be worthy of the price tag. My question is.. is the filter automatable? and for those who have the devil fish or analog solutions mods are they a must or a no go? cheers
Just buy a x0xb0x, it's the same only better. Oh, and a third the price.

djstyleee

Post by djstyleee » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:51 pm

Do they really sound that similar?

Dubersive

Post by Dubersive » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:39 pm

djstyleee wrote:Do they really sound that similar?
Yes. They sound about as similar as one TB-303 compared to another.
[ Cwejman S1 MK2 / Korg MS-20 / SQ-10 | TR-606 | Eurorack stuff ]

colorbars
Gear: Juno-60, ESQ-1, Mopho, Micron, Poly 61, MS2000R, DX-7, DX-21, M-VS1, ES-1 mkII, Monotron, ESI32, TR-505, EA-1

Post by colorbars » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:12 am

what's a 303? ;)

ford442
Band: Noah Cohn

Post by ford442 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:51 am

i would definitely check out the other alternatives before spending so much cash on the original.. be sure to check out AudioRealism software ABL 2.0 (Audiorealism Bassline) - D16 software Phoscyon - and Propellerheads software Rebirth 2.0 which is now free to download from www.rebirthmuseum.com - the x0xb0x seems like a nice machine - i also like Future Retro's "Revolution" clone..