Page 1 of 1

moog Prodigy or moog MG-1 ?

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:26 pm
by dzlvs8
Simple question. It looks like the mg-1 has more features but I am not totally sure about that. I know that the mg-1 is polyphonic while the prodigy isn't but I know the prodigy has pitch bend and modulation wheels.

So which moog has a better sound and more features??????????

Re: moog Prodigy or moog MG-1 ?

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:24 pm
by meatballfulton
You have it backwards....the Prodigy has many more features than the MG-1, but also costs more.

Re: moog Prodigy or moog MG-1 ?

Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:14 am
by dzlvs8
hmmm. Please elaborate. I need more than just a statement saying "I'm wrong" in order to believe that everything I know about the two synths is backwards.

I swore I read that the prodigy only had one oscillator and is mono. While the MG-1 has essentially three oscillators and is polyphonic in some modes. Am I missing anything here?

What features does the prodigy have over the MG-1? Better envelope and a pitch and modulation wheel???? Correct? Is that all.

Re: moog Prodigy or moog MG-1 ?

Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:07 am
by meatballfulton
dzlvs8 wrote:I swore I read that the prodigy only had one oscillator and is mono. While the MG-1 has essentially three oscillators and is polyphonic in some modes. Am I missing anything here? What features does the prodigy have over the MG-1? Better envelope and a pitch and modulation wheel???? Correct? Is that all.
Prodigy has two VCOs, not one.

Prodigy has two ADS EGs vs. the single AD EG of the MG-1.

Prodigy has a third waveform (triangle) for the VCOs, MG-1 does not.

Most Prodigys have CV/gate connections for interfacing with other analog gear or a MIDI converter.

On the other hand MG-1 has a ring modulator ("bell tone"), a digital noise source and the polyphonic oscillator. However it is not a true polyphonic synthesizer because all notes share the same filter and VCA so notes cannot be individually articulated.

The main reason people buy an MG-1 is because it's cheaper than other Moogs.

Re: moog Prodigy or moog MG-1 ?

Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:29 am
by Automatic Gainsay
meatballfulton wrote:Prodigy has two VCOs, not one.
The MG-1 has two oscillators, but the polyphonic section can also be used as a square wave oscillator... giving you a three-oscillator sound if you're playing monophonically. (of course, the portamento doesn't apply, but I guarantee you won't notice).
meatballfulton wrote:Prodigy has hard sync for the VCOs, MG-1 does not.
MG-1 does have sync.
meatballfulton wrote:Prodigy has two LFO waveforms, MG-1 has only one.
MG-1 has triangle, square, and sample and hold in the LFO section. That's three.
meatballfulton wrote:Most Prodigys have CV/gate connections for interfacing with other analog gear or a MIDI converter.
The MG-1 can be CV and trigger controlled.
meatballfulton wrote: However it is not a true polyphonic synthesizer because all notes share the same filter and VCA so notes cannot be individually articulated.
While most prefer individual filters per note of polyphony, paraphony is polyphony, just not the "preferred" type. The polyphonic definition is about how many notes can be played, not about how many filters there are.
Keep in mind that even when each note of polyphony has its own filter, it's not truly polyphonic unless that filter can have its own settings (or that oscillator, for that matter). Most non-modular analog synths are not fully-articulated polyphony. It's just that paraphony is the lamest and least desirable version of that. (which is ABSOLUTELY not to say that it isn't useful, and never sounds as good as other forms)
My demonstrative videos plainly show that the MG-1s polyphonic section can very easily be used as a valid polyphonic synth sound.
meatballfulton wrote:The main reason people buy an MG-1 is because it's cheaper than other Moogs.
I would take an MG-1 over a Prodigy because it's cheaper, AND because it has more features.

MG-1, Prodigy, or Micromoog. Still debating, please help me

Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:07 am
by dzlvs8
Micromoog, MG-1, or Prodigy ?????

Ok, I have searched every thread everywhere and listed to pretty much every moog youtube video and I cant figure out which synth sounds the sweetest. Basically, I have a modded MG-1 on the way via UPS, but I am thinking it is not the perfect moog i have been looking for. So, which one has the richest funkiest sound??? I know the micromoog only has one oscillator but I have heard that thing make some sweet noises...I just dont know if they were unique to the micro or not.

I am looking to use the synth to be able to do some funky stuff and just set it on my B3 to use....whenever, for whatever. I am looking for the fattest sounding synth that can also get some funky lead and trippy noises.

Basically most of the MG-1 videos I have watched make the MG-1 sound like a nintendo. I dont like that.

Please help me.

Re: MG-1, Prodigy, or Micromoog. Still debating, please hel

Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:51 am
by Automatic Gainsay
dzlvs8 wrote:Micromoog, MG-1, or Prodigy ?????

Ok, I have searched every thread everywhere and listed to pretty much every moog youtube video and I cant figure out which synth sounds the sweetest. Basically, I have a modded MG-1 on the way via UPS, but I am thinking it is not the perfect moog i have been looking for. So, which one has the richest funkiest sound??? I know the micromoog only has one oscillator but I have heard that thing make some sweet noises...I just dont know if they were unique to the micro or not.

I am looking to use the synth to be able to do some funky stuff and just set it on my B3 to use....whenever, for whatever. I am looking for the fattest sounding synth that can also get some funky lead and trippy noises.

Basically most of the MG-1 videos I have watched make the MG-1 sound like a nintendo. I dont like that.

Please help me.
I would encourage you to watch my MG-1 and Micromoog videos on YouTube. If you think I made the MG-1 sound like Nintendo, then it is not what you want at all. :)
The Micromoog has a very full, fat sound. Oscillator count doesn't make fat, oscillator, filter, and how how they interact, does. I think the Micromoog is arguably the best one-osc 70s monosynth.

About the only real thing going for the Prodigy are the mod wheels... which doesn't say a lot. It also came out long after Bob Moog left the company.

Re: MG-1, Prodigy, or Micromoog. Still debating, please hel

Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:09 am
by skweeegor
"That sounds like Nintendo" is something people who don't play synths say to people who do because in their minds, square wave = nintendo.

Do you play synths?

Re: moog Prodigy or moog MG-1 ?

Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:22 am
by dzlvs8
Thanks for the replys. You have both succeeded in thoroughly confusing me. It seems as though the prodigy may not even be worth an extra $300. FYI- Dont fear Auto-GS, I have an MG-1 comming in the mail tomorrow. I know how you are a pretty big supporter of this synth. I am still not sure if its what I need though. I guess I will see when I get it. I have reviewed every single youtube video and every post on here regarding every single little item about each synth (well, not really) and I am thinking that the ultra sweet sound I am looking for is in the micromoog. I am just not sure if there is much difference in tone between each -

LOLOLOL

Ok so a guy who put a Prodigy on craigslist today for $650 just called me back. I just bought it sooooo I guess I will have both the MG-1 AND the prodigy in the next few days. The bonus is that the prodigy was moded with every in/out port you can think of. A VERY good deal, I think????

Anyway, I will make sure to come back here with my opinions on each when I get them both.

But if anyone thinks the Micromoog, although simpler, may have a "richer" ??? sound, speak up.

Re: MG-1, Prodigy, or Micromoog. Still debating, please hel

Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:42 pm
by Automatic Gainsay
skweeegor wrote:"That sounds like Nintendo" is something people who don't play synths say to people who do because in their minds, square wave = nintendo.
Every single synth video I've done has at least one (usually 50 or so) people saying "SOUNDS LIKE NINTENDO." You're absolutely right! :lol:
dzlvs8 wrote:I know how you are a pretty big supporter of this synth.
I am simply continually astounded that a synth with this many features and a Moog filter still goes for so much less than other synths with less features.
dzlvs8 wrote: I am just not sure if there is much difference in tone between each -
I can't address the tone of the Prodigy, but I can tell you that there is a world of difference in tone between the Micromoog and the MG-1. If you favor tone over functionality (which isn't to say the Micromoog isn't brimming with functionality), you might want to go the route of the Micromoog. It's possible the Prodigy might have more of the tone you're looking for (in comparison to the MG-1), too... although the Micromoog (despite it's single oscillator) not only has a richer tone than the Prodigy (the designers over drove both the filter AND the oscillators in order to give it a more Minimoog-like tone), but more functionality.

Re: moog Prodigy or moog MG-1 ?

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:36 pm
by ygg
I love to praise the mg-1.
Fattest bassynth around, atleast so is my piece.
To play the polysection on top of a already running monosequence is just lovely.
How many synths can you do that with..

Re: moog Prodigy or moog MG-1 ?

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:54 am
by bochelli
I own a MG-1,Prodigy and Micromoog, sometimes keeping it simple is the way forward, yes the prodigy is good but in time you know what it can do, micrmoog basic but box standard moog sound with a little more control of sound, i believe Kraftwerk used the micromoog for bassline on Das Model,please correct me if im wrong there!, but the MG-1 well thats the best to me,its often a synth overlooked and i say again in answer to a earlier thread NOT everyone knows the MG-1 was made by moog, it also has some comparison to a cut down moog Liberation which i own several, perhaps its the yes simple organ that does it, the MG-1 like most analogue synths are old now yet it still looks good and i have to say rather nice to play oh yes if the moog Rogue comes into this the MG-1 has switchable waveforms, you cant do that with a Rouge.They are locked.MG-1 on this one.