Spot the scam

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Spot the scam

Post by bhrama » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:54 pm

Got this email in response to this ad: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/msg/2060216384.html

Here is the sellers response:

"Hello

I use uShip for the deal.You can check their company on http://www.uShip.com is 100% safe for both of us .I need your full name and address for I can start the shipping to you and they will send you an invoice in which they will mention all the transaction details The shipping is free for you. The transaction is pretty simple : you will receive the invoice from them and this mean that I sent the unit and after you receive this invoice you must send the money through Western Union . Immediately after the transfer will be checked you will have the unit. Nobody can't take the money until you receive and decide if you keep it or not. If the unit has a problem or something that is wrong the agent from uShip will take the unit from you and he will give you all the money back Everything is through uShip and Craiglist for it can be secured for both of us. I wait for your mail.

Thank you."

What do you guys think? I don't like the broken a*s english, and it makes me apprehensive. Anyone used uShip before?
Last edited by bhrama on Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Re: Spot the scam

Post by space6oy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:09 pm

edit: apparently you contacted the seller.
i've never used uship.

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:09 pm

With grammar that poor I would definitely avoid the transaction. Plus everything else seems to indicate scam as well. The who "shipping is free for you" and "send the money through Western Union" are very common in internet scams. It just seems to fit all of the criteria for the classic scam, and I would not go any further with this transaction.

anoteoftruth
Gear: Moog Little Phatty, Moog Voyager RME, Nord Lead Rack, Microkorg, Korg ER-1, Rocktron Banshee Talkbox, Ableton Live, Trigger Finger, GURU, SP-303
Band: Mr.Marr

Post by anoteoftruth » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:12 pm

I would say, your right to be aprehensive...

Imo, don't ever buy anything where the seller asks for money to be sent through western union.

I did that before.. and lost 400$. Will never do it again. Western Union is a scammers best tool. WU will even question u and ask if u know the person personally, and if they dont think you will, they will deny you.. So... I say take a pass on this one.

The uShip c**p doesnt stick up a warning sign as much as the western union bit does.... but if this guy was legit, why couldnt he go through a more well known shipper/carrier like everyone else? I say stay away and keep your money.

aeon

Post by aeon » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:14 pm

total scam - avoid.

cheers,
Ian

bhrama

Post by bhrama » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:18 pm

Thanks for the feedback, the saying holds water again "If its too good to be true..."

101 Force

Post by 101 Force » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:23 pm

As far as I'm concerned anyone who doesn't think they should provide you with their location, not to mention a phone number, at the same time they mention they'll have to ship the item to you is probably running a scam of some sort -- especially if they posted an ad in a different city than their own.
Gear for sale here (Updated: 06/27/2011).

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:34 pm

This should have seemed obvious enough. Have you ever heard of "uShip"??
bonne chance

speak_onion
Gear: Octatrack, G2 Engine
Band: Speak Onion

Post by speak_onion » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:35 pm

Another friend got that same email. It's a scam.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:16 pm

Tell him if he wants his money, he can have double the cost and a free English As A Second Language textbook if he delivers the item to your doorstep personally, but only if he lets you kick him squah in the nuts first.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

bhrama

Post by bhrama » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:48 pm

sequentialsoftshock wrote:This should have seemed obvious enough. Have you ever heard of "uShip"??
No I have not heard of "uShip", but there are alot of things I've not had dealings with in the past. Save the condesending tone for some idiot, not an inquiring peer looking for an honest second opinion. Of course it seemed obvious, but so did a lass named LOLA to the Kinks..

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:06 pm

bhrama wrote:
sequentialsoftshock wrote:This should have seemed obvious enough. Have you ever heard of "uShip"??
No I have not heard of "uShip", but there are alot of things I've not had dealings with in the past. Save the condesending tone for some idiot, not an inquiring peer looking for an honest second opinion. Of course it seemed obvious, but so did a lass named LOLA to the Kinks..
I wasn't trying to be condescending, I'm just merely asking if that's a company you've even heard of, as I haven't myself. When I searched their name on Google, a bunch of legit looking links came up, but when clicked they all timed out immediately.
bonne chance

rschnier
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by rschnier » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:03 pm

For what it's worth, I went to http://www.uship.com and checked out the site.

uShip does not appear to be an escrow service (as implied in the initial response); rather, it is a clearinghouse to match up people who want to ship things, with service providers who provide shipping services. It looks like a legitimate operation but would seem to have no relationship with the Craigslist transaction.

Based on that, I'd avoid the transaction, as it's either a scam, or the person has no freakin' idea what they're doing.
-- R.

madrasputin
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Too many to list. Ask if you want a list of my gear to peruse.
Band: Narcotic Puppeteers

Post by madrasputin » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:14 pm

Yeah uShip does exactly what rschiner said. I have heard of them before. Rshnier is also correct in pointing out that it as a company has no legitimate tie to Craigslist. It does reek of scam for certain man. And if other members are starting to point out they got that same letter it's most definitely a scam. F**k sending anyone money through WU as well, total rip off. Does anyone remember the scam from a while back where you would get an email from some "poor soul" who got stranded in a foreign land and had all their paper work and money stolen to get back to the states? All they needed you to do was pay for them to get back to the states and they would double what you gave them for doing them such a "kind service." Yep this guy's letter to you seems of the same ilk. Wipe your hands of the deal for sure!

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:17 am

Rule #1 of Internet transactions: If it contains the words "Western Union", it's a scam.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!