Aggressive synths?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
smoothcriminal

Re: Aggressive synths?

Post by smoothcriminal » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:48 am

cartesia wrote:the atomo stuff is... I haven't heard any demos of their stuff for a while, but all their past demos were horrible horribly horribly out of tune clashing vomitfests..
maybe it's OK, but I couldn't tell from the demos I watched ~ a year ago.
Alot of Atomo stuff is noise machines, where the gritty, disgusting sound is kind of the point - like the Metasonix stuff. But the Atomo Kraken can actually sound pretty pleasant (but also gritty if necessary). Here's a demo (with reverb)

However I'm glad I held off on a Krakken, because the new 2-osc thing looks quite exciting just based on the features and the typically low prices Atomo has.

By the way, Atomo stuff has VCOs VS the Mopho DCO, if that matters to the OP.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:41 pm

smoothcriminal wrote: the gritty, disgusting sound is kind of the point - like the Metasonix stuff.
that's not my experience with Metasonix at all. they can produce some of the most musically beautiful singing harmonics anywhere. it's not called a f**k f**k to be rude - it's what it does: f**k that b***h till she sings/screams/wails w/ ecstasy!
they EXCEL in subtle harmonic transitions beyond all other filters I've used, anywhere. and I've heard most.

the point of using tube is the harmonic saturation is very different from transistor.
the awful stuff you see in Yellow demos are usually because they just put it in their racks and want to show off, having no experience using Hz/Volt to get any steady pitches that sound good together.
or just as likely - it's being "demo'ed" by some dude that still hasn't figured out what attenuators are for (possibly a guitar player or modular noob).

or maybe they just like experimenting w/ noises

aggro f**k: Pulse, 777, Prophecy, 2600, Odyssey, XS, ProOne, MEK, MS-20, EML 101, and....Polivoks
Last edited by shaft9000 on Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

aeon

Post by aeon » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:10 pm

I have always thought the Korg Prophecy was something special in this regard. It can get so aggressive, rude even, yet remain (to my ear) so very musical.

The on-board analog distortion of the Studio Electronics ATC-X(i) can give it a timbre no other monosynth can touch as it concerns dirt.

That said, one thing I consider as it regards "aggressive" synths is that, to me, the ability to overdrive, be punchy, provide ear-poke, and so on, is not the deciding factor, even if those aspects contribute a lot to the determination. After all, you can take any synth and run it through a dirt pedal - and you'll get dirt, but it may not sound aggressively dirty. To me, preserving a sense of articulation and expression is essential, and the synth comes to life when it is combined with timbral aspects that suggest the synth is "going off the rails," or approaching the limits of what would be considered musical in the context of the arrangement. Non-linear response tends to work well for this, especially when it occurs on multiple axes of control.

The SCI Pro-One can be pushed in this way to give up the goods. I think this is a primary reason why it was so adopted by those creating music that was described as Industrial, EBM, and so on.

Well-programmed, I think many of Yamaha's FM synths qualify. Their degree of potential articulation combined with the ease of non-linear, non-harmonic response makes it easy to ride these machines on the edge. Their quick envelopes and inharmonic timbral control can yield edgy, cutting sounds.

I think the Waldorf Pulse can produce aggressive sounds when being used for hard, fat basses and percussives, and sometimes leads as well. Its relative lack of vintage flavor makes it excel in this way.

Last in my post, but certainly not least, is the Clavia Nord Modular. Take the basic sonic fingerprint of the Nord Lead 2, expand it greatly, and allow for the control to create musical timbres that are all kinds of raw and aggressive. From FM to waveshaping, filter feedback to modulated ring-mod, this synth does a lot and does it well.

my 3¢,
Ian

p.s. - two synths are regularly touted as being good for aggressive sounds - the Access Virus and the DSI Evolver. I found neither of them to be so, but many others do, so this shows just how subjective it all is, and that in the end, as with all things, you have to use your own ears, taste, and frame of reference to make a decision.

Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Post by Scories » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:51 am

I am familliar with the Microwave XT, the Prophecy and few others, but for me the most aggressive was the ARP Odyssey. That's why I got rid of it; I really thought it was one of the smoothest. How wrong I was!! :?

The MS-20 is an other good choice, if you can afford it.

burnn_out!

Post by burnn_out! » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:17 pm

on the cheap and very aggressive, i found the yamaha dx200 to be both. my vostok is pretty nasty. evolver and future retro xs are very arggo as well.

Barely

Post by Barely » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:39 pm

ryryoftokyo wrote:
smoothcriminal wrote:I'll second (third?) the AX60 as an aggressive synth with an interesting filter. Also -
Atomo Labs uses a unique, nasty sounding filter in their synths that I would describe as aggressive
http://atomolabs.blogspot.com/

It appears as if they are about to release a 2-osc mono with a touch keyboard... I'm really excited to see it
For $219 plus shipping, I think we found our winner...I will also be looking into a Blofield...anyone have any good demos?

Also, has anybody dealt with this guy before? Is he consistent, does he ship fast?
Check DocT's website (Dr. Stefan Trippler has programmed some DSI and Waldorf sounds)
DSI Evolver Demos:
http://www.trippler.net/music/DSI_Evolv ... olver.html

Blofeld:
http://www.trippler.net/files/blo/BloKeysC.mp3
(be sure to listen up beyond the 0:55 mark . hehe. nasty enough? )

I have both ( and a Virus ), the nastiest of all is the Blofeld Keyboard. And I mean really nasty - but it can behave and purr like a cat, as well. IMHO the best sounding virtual filters, and you have 2 of them in Lowpass 12,24 db, highpass, bandbass, notch, comb filter, PPG filter.... ;)

Cheers,
Barely

Barely

Post by Barely » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:42 pm

Solderman wrote:I have a Virus, used to have a Pro~One, and have heard what FM can do, such as the Sega Genesis game soundtrack for The Adventures of Batman and Robin. None of them sound as screamy and growly as my
Polivoks:
MEAOW. What a great Synth, the Polivoks. Wish I had one! :)

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:55 pm

Heehee. And I must clarify, in the above clip, that really is the synth, not a sample run through the filter. Specifically, it's the already unstable self-oscillation of the filter, being modulated by its own output, so you'd have to mod it like I did to get that sound.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Nannerfan
Gear: Akai AX-60, AX-80, S612
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8
Yamaha QY700, SU700, TX81Z

Post by Nannerfan » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:16 am

4th suggestion for the Akai AX-60. Great for "edgy pads" too..

When I think aggro (in a good way) I instantly think of Pro-One, Pearl Syncussion and the OBXa.

When I think of anything "Evolver" .. I want to kick kids and punch an old woman in the face. It makes me aggro cause I hate it so much...

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:30 am

Anyone else think that someone who posted a 'what should I buy' thread a year ago has already gotten something or moved on to another idea?

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:44 pm

some things should just stay dead

Nannerfan
Gear: Akai AX-60, AX-80, S612
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8
Yamaha QY700, SU700, TX81Z

Post by Nannerfan » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:58 pm

Blahdunno... I don't have a habit of looking at the dates of posts. I tend to figure that if a thread is near the top.. it's being discussed? I forget about the slow traffic around here.

btw - I think buyers guide threads are a bit timeless. Especially these days with most of Harmony Central's reviews gone to the deeper crusts of google...