What do I need? MG-1 feature needed to be added to a Prodigy

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
dzlvs8
Gear: Tons and tons of ridiculously expensive keyboards.

What do I need? MG-1 feature needed to be added to a Prodigy

Post by dzlvs8 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:52 pm

Hello Ladies, I have a dilemma. I have an Moog MG-1 that I just sold, but I loved the "auto contour" and filter feature (the filter slider that is blue and the second slider from the left. I am new to synths so sorry for being dumb but I think the feature was an arpeggiator that had some cool random feature to it or something.

My problem is, now i have a Moog Prodigy that doesnt have that feature but I do have gate In/out jacks, pitch in/out jacks, cv filter jack, and an audio in jack installed on my prodigy. Sooooo, what do I need to buy to get that feature that was on the MG-1 that I am missing on my Prodigy?

Moogerfooger Control Processor? Moogerfooger Murf? Something else? another cheap synth? will my arp omni be any help?

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Re: What do I need? MG-1 feature needed to be added to a Pro

Post by Synthaholic » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:50 pm

dzlvs8 wrote:Hello Ladies, I have a dilemma. I have an Moog MG-1 that I just sold, but I loved the "auto contour" and filter feature (the filter slider that is blue and the second slider from the left. I am new to synths so sorry for being dumb but I think the feature was an arpeggiator that had some cool random feature to it or something.
I think the "auto contour" switch uses the LFO to retrigger the envelopes. The filter slider is just LFO->filter cutoff, which the Prodigy should be able to do already. If you're thinking of "random arpeggiator" that would be the "random" (sample&hold) option on the LFO switch.

You could do the envelope retrigger using the gate input, by feeding an external LFO signal into the gate (some Moog synths use "S-trigger" instead of a gate voltage, for these you'll need a simple transistor circuit to make the conversion). For sample&hold, you'll need an external source for this, connected to the filter CV input. A CP-251 should be able to do all of these for you.

Or just get another MG-1. ;)
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

dzlvs8

Post by dzlvs8 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:57 pm

Thanks for the info. I have been looking at CP-251's for a while but they are retardly expensive. Is there any synth that I could buy that would cost around the same amount of money that would have the feature and I could easily use the feature for my prodigy (dont say MG-1, looking for something different)

dzlvs8

Post by dzlvs8 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:39 am

To clarify, sample and hold definately sounds like what I am looking for. But I also am looking for that randomizer feature. Does the CP251 have that???
Since I have a gate out, is there any 300-500 ANALOG synths that have a gate in (or what ever I need) that will allow me to send the prodigy sounds to the sample and hold area of the keyboard.

Im asking this because I would much rather buy a $400 synth than a $350 device with a couple of knobs and no keys (moog CP-251)......I know the cp-251 is cool but a synth is way better for my money. what about a kaoss pad??????