Control surface - Korg nanoKontrol or Novation Nocturn?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
infrared72

Control surface - Korg nanoKontrol or Novation Nocturn?

Post by infrared72 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:15 pm

Thinking about trying either a Korg NanoKontrol or a Novation Nocturn. I can get either one for around $50 here locally as there is a second hand Nocturn for about $45. I know the Novation automap is probably superior and all, but the Nocturn seems to me that it's leaning towards a DJ style controller. The NanoKontrol on the other hand has regular mixer-style faders and resembles an audio mixer moreso than the Nocturn. There is an interesting Youtube video of the NanoKontrol tied to an aftermarket software driver called NanoLive II that seems to fill in some gaps that Korg left out of their stock software for the Nano. I'd be looking to use one of these controllers with Ableton Live 8.

Does anyone have experience with either one of these they could share?

thank you.

-PT
Peter Teipe

diopter
www.diopter.org
soundcloud.com/diopter

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Re: Control surface - Korg nanoKontrol or Novation Nocturn?

Post by th0mas » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:22 pm

I used the NanoKontrol with a novation launchpad for a bit with ableton live. It does what it says it does. The knobs are fine but the faders are a bit wobbly (as you'd expect on a $50 item).

serv

Re: Control surface - Korg nanoKontrol or Novation Nocturn?

Post by serv » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:37 pm

As th0mas pointed out, build quaility for nanokontrol is s**t. But for 50 bucks, I don't think you can go wrong.
If you decide to get nanokontrol, i'd treat it really carefully.
I already lost a knob just by putting NK in my backpack. The knob just fell out.