sequencing for dummies

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
colorbars
Gear: Juno-60, ESQ-1, Mopho, Micron, Poly 61, MS2000R, DX-7, DX-21, M-VS1, ES-1 mkII, Monotron, ESI32, TR-505, EA-1

sequencing for dummies

Post by colorbars » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:34 am

To start off with i know practically nothing about sequencing so take it easy on me ;)

I'm looking for something simple, inexpensive and easy to use. I don't need anything fancy by any means but i'd like it to be intuitive. I have an esq-1, an electribe es-1 mk2 and a boss tr-505 which all i believe it is possible to sequence with, but i've never spent a whole lot of time trying to figure it out. It doesn't have to be a standalone sequencer, just something easy for someone who'd like to sequence some simple bass lines etc.

Thanks!

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: sequencing for dummies

Post by pricklyrobot » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:49 am

The ES-1 can sequence external stuff, but it's more geared toward percussion-type sounds, so you can't really control notes lengths (i.e. not very good for bass or lead lines).

I'd say check out the EA-1. The interface will already be familiar to you, from the ES. It's only two tracks of mono sequencing, but it's a great way to get your feet wet in the sequencing world without a big learning curve or a lot of money. It's also a fun little synth in its own right, and the resale price seems to be pretty steady, so you could hang onto it or sell it on (with little or no monetary loss), if you decide to move up to something more deluxe/complicated (E-mu Command Station?) later on.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

jeeroj
Gear: sh-101, x0xb0x(x2), tr-606, korg es-1, half dead mc-303 and some boss micro racks

Post by jeeroj » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:52 pm

why not use the ESQ-1's sequencer?
Debut Album out now jeeroj - Selected Acid Works 08-11
check the review HERE first

colorbars
Gear: Juno-60, ESQ-1, Mopho, Micron, Poly 61, MS2000R, DX-7, DX-21, M-VS1, ES-1 mkII, Monotron, ESI32, TR-505, EA-1

Post by colorbars » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:49 pm

EA-1 looks like it might be a good way to go, thanks for the suggestion!

I've tried figuring out the esq-1's built in sequencer a few times to no avail ... i guess a person could always download a manual and read up on it but it seems like it relies heavily on menu diving, i'd like something that's a litle easier to use.

colorbars

Post by colorbars » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:10 am

Well I just picked up an EA-1 on eBay so hopefully that will do the trick for me!

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:10 pm

colorbars wrote:I've tried figuring out the esq-1's built in sequencer a few times to no avail ... i guess a person could always download a manual and read up on it but it seems like it relies heavily on menu diving, i'd like something that's a litle easier to use.
The ESQ-1 has no menus.

It's probably the easiest sequencer ever designed. I'm amazed you find it difficult to use!
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.