Ensoniq ESQ (really worth it ?)

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Richard Gear

Ensoniq ESQ (really worth it ?)

Post by Richard Gear » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:50 pm

Hello. I already have a few synths, but I lack a proper VCO polysynth. I'd like to get a Polysix, but the price are a little too high for what it does. Anyway, I already have a few polysynths (JX-3P, XT, Z1) but it's hard to produce a very warm, hypnotic pad evoking the 70's out of them. I absolutely love the sound of my Commodore 64 and I've heard that the SID chip has been made by Ensoniq.

Now I am wondering if the ESQ-1/M could bring me somewhere between a Polysix and a C64 Cynthcard?
Would it be redundant in my setup with my C64, JX-3P, Microwave XT and other monosynths (Micromoog, SEM, SH-101, SH-1000, Minikorg 700, Crumar Multiman)? Would it bring something really new and unique?
Is it great at generating warm dirty pads a la Boards of Canada?
How much would you pay for a ESQ-m?

I don't want to get too many synths so I prefer to ask.

Thanks!

jeeroj
Gear: sh-101, x0xb0x(x2), tr-606, korg es-1, half dead mc-303 and some boss micro racks

Re: Ensoniq ESQ (really worth it ?)

Post by jeeroj » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:04 pm

if you can find one for a good price, get it - you can always sit on it then sell it on later.

have you seen the sonic state video of it where the guy makes some pretty chip-tune-tastic stuff?
not sure how to embed it but check it out:

http://www.sonicstate.com/articles/article.cfm?id=146

also, check out jexus' videos of it on youtube or on his own site:

and the best site i've ever found:

http://www.scoreforsale.com/

alternatively, download the softsynth version of the SQ80 and have a play, they are pretty similar synths... hope that helps :D
Debut Album out now jeeroj - Selected Acid Works 08-11
check the review HERE first

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:41 pm

Richard Gear wrote:Now I am wondering if the ESQ-1/M could bring me somewhere between a Polysix and a C64 Cynthcard?
Would it be redundant in my setup with my C64, JX-3P, Microwave XT and other monosynths (Micromoog, SEM, SH-101, SH-1000, Minikorg 700, Crumar Multiman)? Would it bring something really new and unique?
Is it great at generating warm dirty pads a la Boards of Canada?
How much would you pay for a ESQ-m?
I would say the esq kind of falls in between the jx3p and XT, but beats the pants off of the jx (and were you to get one, I would say dump the JX). Much more lofi than the XT, and so yeah, excels at BoC style sounds. If you're still worried about having too many synths, I'd dump a few of your monos-the sh-101/1000 and micromoog are all covering pretty similar territory.
Do you even post on vse bro?

Richard Gear

Post by Richard Gear » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:54 pm

Useful replies, thanks.

The Jexus videos are great. Not too much going where I'm heading to. I prefered his Akai AX-80 + PV-600 vids. But he also states that they are quite similar in terms of sound.

Sir Ruff - Sounding somewhere between jx-3p and XT sounds quite redundant to my setup. The XT excels at sounding like Autechre. And I hope the ESQ doesn't sounds like a TG33. I did not liked the tone too much and the interface and I got rid of it quite fast.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:41 am

Richard Gear wrote:Useful replies, thanks.

The Jexus videos are great. Not too much going where I'm heading to. I prefered his Akai AX-80 + PV-600 vids. But he also states that they are quite similar in terms of sound.

Sir Ruff - Sounding somewhere between jx-3p and XT sounds quite redundant to my setup. The XT excels at sounding like Autechre. And I hope the ESQ doesn't sounds like a TG33. I did not liked the tone too much and the interface and I got rid of it quite fast.
The esq doesn't sound like a tg33 and doesn't exactly fall between the 3p and xt sound-wise, moreso in terms of what they are technically/how they operate. I get the impression that if you love your 3p and you love your xt, maybe you're not going to get much out of an esq. Conversely, if you want something less polished than the XT, maybe you'll like it. Like I said, it pretty much kills the 3p for most things, unless you just have to have that roland string sound.
Do you even post on vse bro?